Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Just gave my daughter her first ride (against her will, she was at a sleepover and I picked her up in the Goblin). Her own words: "It's too loud and it's a big Meh."

Guess that'll be her first and last ride.
With time she will appreciate what you have accomplished. Just may be through the eyes and words from others around her….. :)

dastrups

My Experiences with Registration and Insurance - Montana Edition

I did not expect to get to this point so quickly and easily, so I apologize for the excessive amount of bumps of this thread over the last couple days. But, I am now well on my way to getting registered and insured, all that remains is the waiting game. Tomorrow, I will ship off my packet to my Montana agent, and wait for the Montana DMV to issue me a title and a plate.

First, let's talk Montana registration. O-Prime already wrote up a great guide for this, so I will not go into a ton of detail here. If you need help filling out the various forms, he detailed it perfectly, here: https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/guide-montana-registration.1971/

1. Get DF Kit Car to issue your MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin). They will issue it in YOUR name, not in your LLC's name. This is a fairly new development as I understand it, but it is NOT a problem.
  2. Hire a Montana agent (I used 49 Dollar Montana Registered Agent). Fill out the web form for "LLC with car or truck registration", pick your LLC name, and pay up ($849). Within two days, your LLC will be established and they'll send you the documentation. Beyond that, they will assume you're an expert and not offer any info on the next step. They will answer questions though.
  3. Fill out the top box on the back of your MCO, listing your LLC's name and the agent's address, along with the odometer reading. The agent will handle the rest of this.
  4. Download and print out Montana's Bill of Sale form MV24. Fill it out as detailed in O-Prime's guide. Then, to complete this requirement, take the form to a notary and have them notarize it. For me, my bank refused to do it, so I just went to Brimmer's and paid them $5 to do it. Some clarification here: you are, in fact, selling your kit car to your LLC for $0 here. You should have no problem putting zero dollars as the final sum. The reason my bank gave for refusing to notarize my form is, they did not feel comfortable notarizing an automobile sale for $0. At first, Brimmer's wouldn't notarize my form either, citing PennDOT being unwilling to recognize auto sales for less than $100; in PA, cars cannot be "gifted" apparently. I told the lady, "Look, I'll withdraw $100 from an ATM and hand it to myself if that's what you want, what I am doing here is selling my own car to my own LLC." Finally, she noticed the Montana logo on the header of the form and said "Oh, this is something else entirely, sorry I am just used to PennDOT's rules". Then she notarized the form.
  5. Download and print out Montana's Inspection Checklist: Unconventional Vehicles form MV70A. Fill this form out per O-Prime's guide, but be careful on #9 (ONLY check one box, not both). It is fine to sign this form, yourself.
  6. Download and print out Montana's Level 1 Vehicle/OHV Identification Number Inspection form MV20. I added this file to my Google Drive because O-Prime's link was broken and the version I found online was different than this one, which was sent to me straight by my Montana agent. Fill out the top part per O-Prime's guide, then have a member of law enforcement in your area come out to fill out the rest of the form. I thought this would be painful, but my local police were chill as hell about it; the officer filled out the form, shook my hand, and told me not to speed. Make sure you get either a business card from the officer (preferred) or a photo of his badge.
  7. Photocopy all the forms for your records, then ship all the ORIGINALS, plus your MCO and the officer's business card, off to the agent, addressed to your LLC name with their address.
  8. Wait.
Now, let's talk insurance.

I was able to secure insurance through Rally Insurance Group, Inc., underwritten by American Modern, for $482 per year which includes liability that matches my daily driver policy (apparently a thing in my state, PA) and a $1,000 deductible (my request). The stated value of the car is $20,000 and the policy covers 6,000 miles/year. You must also sign a Track Exclusion form (so no track use, which stinks, but ok!).

The insurance process was utterly painless. You need:
  1. The completed application (they will send it to you)
  2. Signed track exclusion (they will send it to you)
  3. A copy of the declarations page for your daily driver's policy
  4. Photos of the front, back, driver side, and passenger side of your Goblin
  5. Payment
In my case, I delivered items 1-4 in an email, and the insurance agent called me to complete payment. I paid over the phone with a debit card, but they can also use bank routing information if you prefer.

My agent's contact information is below. She is superb. ZERO trouble getting insurance. She also gave me permission to share her contact information, but don't consider it a referral, it's not. Just the handing off of the name of a helpful person!

View attachment 21150

So now, I play the waiting game. Current wait time for Montana registration is 35 days.

Hopefully, this along with O-Prime's guide and everyone else who has contributed to the knowledge of Montana registration and getting Goblin insurance, will get you where you need to be to drive legally. I will amend this post if any difficulties arise.

Good luck!!!
What did you have DF put down for the address on the MCO? Just your current home address?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
What did you have DF put down for the address on the MCO? Just your current home address?
As I understand it, the information put down on the MCO is no longer up to us. But looking back at pics of my MCO, yes, the address DF put on it was my home address.

dastrups

Nicely done my dude! I made updates to my doc based on your experience.

Did someone tell you you had to get a LEO to sign the MV-70A Inspection Checklist? Myself and a few others have self-signed this one.
Is the odometer disclosure statement form something we print out for our actual state and send this off to DF to have filled out so that we can send it into our registered agent with the MCO and other paperwork?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I don't know if it's the right answer, but I was planning on filling out Montana form MV90A if I have to go the Montana route. I don't think DF is involved no matter what form you use.

Goblin Guru
Is the odometer disclosure statement form something we print out for our actual state and send this off to DF to have filled out so that we can send it into our registered agent with the MCO and other paperwork?
Montana form MV20, which needs to be signed by a LEO (either your state or local), has a spot for the odometer declaration. Also, the back of your MCO has a spot for the odometer reading. You fill out both, DF has no involvement in the Montana process aside from sending you the original MCO.

*edit* Fixed the broken link to the MV20 form in my original post.

dastrups

Montana form MV20, which needs to be signed by a LEO (either your state or local), has a spot for the odometer declaration. Also, the back of your MCO has a spot for the odometer reading. You fill out both, DF has no involvement in the Montana process aside from sending you the original MCO.

*edit* Fixed the broken link to the MV20 form in my original post.
Oh okay. So you don't necessarily need a separate form like Optimizeprime had on his guide?

Goblin Guru
Oh okay. So you don't necessarily need a separate form like Optimizeprime had on his guide?
I did not send a separate form. A LEO needs to sign the MV20, which seems to be sufficient to prove the odometer reading. It's also filled in on the back of the MCO, which you won't get back. All I can do is post my experience; yours may be different.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It might not be required but it likely won't hurt to submit the MV90A I mentioned. It likely depends on the person that reviews it at the state office.

dastrups

I did not send a separate form. A LEO needs to sign the MV20, which seems to be sufficient to prove the odometer reading. It's also filled in on the back of the MCO, which you won't get back. All I can do is post my experience; yours may be different.
Okay thank you!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Congrats!!!!!
Maybe DF could start sending out little stickers as we reach mileage milestones. Kind of like Mercedes used to do with their grill badges.. :)

And that air bag needs to be checked..... :0

Goblin Guru
Congrats!!!!!
Maybe DF could start sending out little stickers as we reach mileage milestones. Kind of like Mercedes used to do with their grill badges.. :)

And that air bag needs to be checked..... :0
I know right? Still waiting on Bradr's device to eliminate that light.

...and permission from the Boss to get into HP Tuners to hopefully eliminate the CEL also.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I know right? Still waiting on Bradr's device to eliminate that light.

...and permission from the Boss to get into HP Tuners to hopefully eliminate the CEL also.
Several folks have opened their clusters and put a small piece of electrical tape over the airbag light so it doesn't show through.

Goblin Guru
Several folks have opened their clusters and put a small piece of electrical tape over the airbag light so it doesn't show through.
Good point, I have to take my cluster back apart anyway. Tach needle isn't in there right, I have to fix that so I might as well just mask the lights at the same time.