Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The green wire connector was one of the last things to get removed. If I remember correctly, it got reduced to 3 green wires, and the rest were removed.
The green wire connector is low speed data. I cut out the bulky plug and solder them all together. I think I usually retain five of them on the later models and four on the early models.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
You will need to keep these green wires:

1. OBD-II port (Pin A)
2. Theft deterrent module (Pin H)
3. Remote control door lock receiver (Pin M)
4. Instrument panel cluster (Pin D)
5. BCM (Pin C)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I seem to recall it being mentioned in the harness videos at some point. I'll work through all of them before I ask more questions. ;)

Tony

I don't remember for sure, but the mystery connector with the red cap may be for the PID screen (fancy boost/performance gauge screen that some TCs got).

The green low-speed GM-LAN wires are not serial, like the tan twisted pairs, so they don't need to be in a chain. Think of it more like a ground connection - as long as any of the devices that need it (like listed by Brian) are connected somehow, it's good. It doesn't matter how; OEM just used the black connector as a "lug" essentially.

Also, I'll give you some advice based on my mistakes. The hazard switch, horn button, and fog light switch wires should all stay in the dash harness, as they will be used if you get DF's button panel. I somehow accidentally cut out the horn button wire I think, and I know I cut out the fog light switch wires since the Goblin doesn't have fog lights. DF put a momentary "ACC" button on their panel that mimics the fog switch, so the switch/relay/wiring can be used to activate some other accessory like a stereo, light bar, etc.

Goblin Guru
Tony, I think you may be right:

rpd_connector.jpg

I'm not at home to compare the plug right now, but it looks similar. I did not have a RPD display in mine, so it makes sense that it's not labeled, but I am unsure of how I came to label it "Ignition Switch" when it is clearly NOT, haha.

Tony

RPD, DIC, PID, whatever it's called ha. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the harness has the connectors for that and the regular boost gauge regardless. Can't help you on the labeling problem though, I'm not any better. o_O

Goblin Guru
Hmmmm......

*mind slowly begins convincing itself to buy a used RPD display since it seems it's possible*

No! Stop it, no! Bad!

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The RPD display will have a plug that has twisted data wires going through it. I think it is a square plug with eight pins.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member

Steering angle sensor.
It plugged into the power steering unit.
It was part of your ABS system which is not used.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member

This looks like it went to your stereo amplifier.
If you still have your AMP you can try plugging it in. If it is the AMP plug the big red power wire is a good fused accessory power.

Goblin Guru
Perfect, Lonny, thank you.

*edit* Just to confirm, Lonny, you were right on both wires. I cut 'em out and left the red wire from the amp for future use as a fused aux power.

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
I've been working on thinning the harnesses this week, and I believe I've come across the first real difference between the base model Cobalt shown in the instructional videos, and my SS/TC.

In part 10, at around the 16:10 mark, the video emphasizes, "do not cut the tan twisted pair off of the purple/black multi-plug" but for me, the tan twisted pair in question does not go to the purple/black multi-plug, it goes to this plug:

20191004_235443.jpg

Going to assume that's ok and it's just a difference between the models until I hear otherwise.

Speaking of that plug, I can't for the life of me, remember where I unplugged it from. What is it?

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I've been working on thinning the harnesses this week, and I believe I've come across the first real difference between the base model Cobalt shown in the instructional videos, and my SS/TC.

In part 10, at around the 16:10 mark, the video emphasizes, "do not cut the tan twisted pair off of the purple/black multi-plug" but for me, the tan twisted pair in question does not go to the purple/black multi-plug, it goes to this plug:

View attachment 10240

Going to assume that's ok and it's just a difference between the models until I hear otherwise.

Speaking of that plug, I can't for the life of me, remember where I unplugged it from. What is it?
On my 2006 SC donor, the 3 data wires go:

OBDII pin 6tan/black stripHigh speed GMLAN serial data +Goes to Power Steering, C2, pin 1 (C2 is the grey, 6 pin connector with the small wires)
OBDII pin 14tanHigh speed GMLAN serial data -Goes to Power Steering, C2, pin 2
Power Steering, C2, pin 4brown/white stripHigh speed GMLAN serial data +Goes to BCM, J2, pin 1 (J2 is the white & blue vertical connector closest to the center tunnel)
Power Steering, C2, pin 5brownHigh speed GMLAN serial data -Goes to BCM, J2, pin 19
BCM, J2, pin 2tan/black stripHigh speed GMLAN serial data +Goes to PCM, C1, pin 1 (C1 is the blue connector on the PCM)
BCM, J2, pin 20tanHigh speed GMLAN serial data -Goes to PCM, C1, pin 2

But I don't recognize that connector. Is it from the satelite/radio box on the rear dash?

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Screenshot_20191005-102934.jpg

The big red and black connector is for your EBCM (anti lock brakes). There should be a short data wire that goes from it to your ECM. Leave it connected to your ECM. It will eventually get extended to your BCM data wire on the dash harness.
There is a small pink wire that goes from the EBCM to the gray fuse box connector. I repurpose this wire for the inter cooler pump. I think it is pin B2 in the gray fuse box connector. Cut it from the EBCM connector and extended it about three feet and it will come out of the harness about a two feet forward of the fuse box.

Goblin Guru
Lonny, thanks for the response. That's sort of where I thought it came from, just wasn't sure and my donor is gone so nothing to check.

Nice MS Paint scissors, by the way. :)

You're correct, the tan twisted pair does go to the EBCM plug and then on to the ECM plug. Are you saying to cut both pairs off the EBCM plug, then solder them together, bypassing the EBCM plug?

I found the pink wire (EBCM -> gray fuse box connector) and will extend it about three feet as you say.

Your MS Paint picture implies to cut the remainder of the EBCM plug off, is that correct?

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the pic. Mine definitely does not have both the RPD connector and the boost gauge connector.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
On my 2006 SC donor, the 3 data wires go:

OBDII pin 6tan/black stripHigh speed GMLAN serial data +Goes to Power Steering, C2, pin 1 (C2 is the grey, 6 pin connector with the small wires)
OBDII pin 14tanHigh speed GMLAN serial data -Goes to Power Steering, C2, pin 2
Power Steering, C2, pin 4brown/white stripHigh speed GMLAN serial data +Goes to BCM, J2, pin 1 (J2 is the white & blue vertical connector closest to the center tunnel)
Power Steering, C2, pin 5brownHigh speed GMLAN serial data -Goes to BCM, J2, pin 19
BCM, J2, pin 2tan/black stripHigh speed GMLAN serial data +Goes to PCM, C1, pin 1 (C1 is the blue connector on the PCM)
BCM, J2, pin 20tanHigh speed GMLAN serial data -Goes to PCM, C1, pin 2

But I don't recognize that connector. Is it from the satelite/radio box on the rear dash?
Followed this on my 07 ss/Sc and it's the same. Testing it out helped me feel more confident my wiring was correct and I was able to move on to other possible reasons why my car wouldn't stay running.

Goblin Guru
I got a little side-tracked with other stuff but I'll trace the data wires from end to end tonight, and probably will cut off the big ABS connector even though I'm nervous as hell about doing so.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I got a little side-tracked with other stuff but I'll trace the data wires from end to end tonight, and probably will cut off the big ABS connector even though I'm nervous as hell about doing so.
It needs to go.

Besides, any accidentally cut wires can easily be fixed with a soldering iron.
Just label them if you aren't sure... so you can put them back together if needed.