Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yeah, absolutely. I have no intention of removing any bits unless I have to. Probably can remove the second radiator fan though, aye? The high-temp one?
No. I wouldn’t. Use it as a “fail safe” in case the primary fan wiring doesn’t work, for some reason.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Per our conversation here are two pics of ends of clutch line. The hard line is one piece front to back.

View attachment 14620
Where did you get that end? I don't think anything like that came with my kit.

No. I wouldn’t. Use it as a “fail safe” in case the primary fan wiring doesn’t work, for some reason.
Noted, and that's a good idea. Thanks.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Where did you get that end? I don't think anything like that came with my kit.

Noted, and that's a good idea. Thanks.
If you are talking about the 90* fitting, That is stock on the cobalt.

wanna know how I know this. :rolleyes:
For some reason my primary fan wiring isn’t working, but the secondary is, so I had to make the switch, until I diagnose it. I’m adding an override switch anyways and will run the fans full time with our Texas heat anyways. I always like a backup plan. ;)

Goblin Guru
Oh....my....god.

I can not believe the level of "blonde moment" I just had (no offense to anyone's lovely wives, or any of you!). That piece was staring me in the face since I stripped my donor, and I didn't realize it. After cleaning all the black crud off of it, it was obvious to me.

Ok, I'm gonna go just crawl away and act like I knew what I was doing wrong all this time...

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Oh....my....god.

I can not believe the level of "blonde moment" I just had (no offense to anyone's lovely wives, or any of you!). That piece was staring me in the face since I stripped my donor, and I didn't realize it. After cleaning all the black crud off of it, it was obvious to me.

Ok, I'm gonna go just crawl away and act like I knew what I was doing wrong all this time...
DUDE!!!!!!
You had us all worried........
You get a pass for being so excited on your B-Day. :)
Now let's see how far you get in the next few days!

Goblin Guru
So a couple things.

Here is a picture from Adam's "handy photos" gallery, of a completed SS/TC Goblin.

20200613_220240.jpg

I am looking at the same region of my engine, and a few questions come to mind.

20200613_220500.jpg

First, the BLUE circle: According to my Google-Fu, this is a MAP sensor.

20200613_220527.jpg

I have an identical sensor hanging down, near where the A/C pump was, with the exact same Bosch part number on it; I presume this is the MAP sensor that is positioned in the "TC Tube for MAP", in the image of the finished SS/TC Goblin above. *edit* I just noticed, it's barely in the picture ... but it's slightly below the bottom edge of the image and to the right. Correct?

Next, the RED circle: In the pic of the finished TC above, this sensor is unplugged, and it looks like the port is filed off/missing. I presume I should do the same with mine?

Now, the YELLOW circle: I am having difficulty figuring out where the nylon vacuum hose from the front end of the Goblin is supposed to connect to. I think the circled port should have a vacuum hose attached to it, and then the vacuum hose should run to the nylon tube, and they should be joined with a tight hose clamp. Yes/no?

Finally, I have a line labeled "To turbo IC loop". I believe that line connects to the MAP tube, and is pictured in the image of the finished TC car, right above the MAP sensor. Is that correct?

20200613_211233.jpg

Whew. Thanks people.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
You can remove the evap valve and put a plate over the hole if you are exempt from emissions testing.

Some good pics of mine here:

My son has the Goblin out tonight, but going from memory the vac port in yellow goes to the brake booster. I think. I can confirm when he returns.

Goblin Guru
I got a bunch of miscellaneous little things done today, while I get closer and closer to a first-start attempt. Pardon the mess; I didn't bother to clean up because I'm just going to make another mess tomorrow.

20200614_195609.jpg

1. Mounted the heat exchanger in the front, under the radiator. What a pain in the ass that was ... note to self, if you ever build another Goblin based on an SS donor, don't get trigger happy ... WAIT to mount the radiator until after you get the heat exchanger in!!! Geez!!!
  2. Got all the plumbing for the heat exchanger in.
  3. Got the plumbing for the radiator all done in the rear.
  4. Found an old hose from my donor and used it to connect the long nylon vacuum run from the front end, to my intake.
  5. Put about 4 gallons of 93 octane in the gas tank.
  6. Drained the oil, changed the filter, and put in fresh oil.
  7. Fixed a small error in mounting the engine ... passenger side was mounted with the wrong holes in the plate. Corrected it by lifting slightly on the engine from underneath with a wood block on top of my floor jack, removing the bolts, shifting the engine, then bolting it back up.
  8. Got the remainder of stages 2 and 3 in a semi-sorted, semi-presentable mess. Yes, that's an improvement over previous.
  9. Mounted and wired up the fuse box.
Tomorrow, I take my remaining parts to get powder-coated, pick up a short length of heater hose so I can finish the coolant route, get the coolant system filled/burped, and maybe get my first start.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know where you can buy the same radiator that DF provides with stage 1? I painted mine with flat black radiator paint a while ago and I am finding it to be excessively fragile. I think I would rather go unpainted...
  2. The DF-provided exhaust ... I presume it's stainless? Won't rust? I would like to coat it I think. Can it be powder-coated, or does it get too hot for that? I know Cerakote is an option, but I don't know anything about that.
  3. The module pictured below ... it's at the base of the power steering unit, where the top steering shaft knuckle is. I do not seem to have a plug on my harness for this module. Did I booboo?
20200614_195636.jpg

That's all for now.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ark,I know it is a Honda Del Sol radiator, but the one DF gets does not have the filler neck on top like all of the options on eBay I've looked at previously. I'm sure if you contact Adam he will be able to get you more information.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I have cerakote on my exhaust. It still looks mostly like the day it was coated. A few scratches and chips but nothing due to the quality of the coat job.

Don't paint. I've seen too many exhausts with the paint coming off.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I don't believe so. That sensor is either part of the ABS or maybe traction control??? Either way it should be unrelated to any PS codes.

Goblin Guru
I don't believe so. That sensor is either part of the ABS or maybe traction control??? Either way it should be unrelated to any PS codes.
Understood. I remember reading in another build thread, someone had a power steering code and they took care of it somehow. I'll have to do some searching.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I got a bunch of miscellaneous little things done today, while I get closer and closer to a first-start attempt. Pardon the mess; I didn't bother to clean up because I'm just going to make another mess tomorrow.

View attachment 14760
  1. Mounted the heat exchanger in the front, under the radiator. What a pain in the ass that was ... note to self, if you ever build another Goblin based on an SS donor, don't get trigger happy ... WAIT to mount the radiator until after you get the heat exchanger in!!! Geez!!!
  2. Got all the plumbing for the heat exchanger in.
  3. Got the plumbing for the radiator all done in the rear.
  4. Found an old hose from my donor and used it to connect the long nylon vacuum run from the front end, to my intake.
  5. Put about 4 gallons of 93 octane in the gas tank.
  6. Drained the oil, changed the filter, and put in fresh oil.
  7. Fixed a small error in mounting the engine ... passenger side was mounted with the wrong holes in the plate. Corrected it by lifting slightly on the engine from underneath with a wood block on top of my floor jack, removing the bolts, shifting the engine, then bolting it back up.
  8. Got the remainder of stages 2 and 3 in a semi-sorted, semi-presentable mess. Yes, that's an improvement over previous.
  9. Mounted and wired up the fuse box.
Tomorrow, I take my remaining parts to get powder-coated, pick up a short length of heater hose so I can finish the coolant route, get the coolant system filled/burped, and maybe get my first start.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know where you can buy the same radiator that DF provides with stage 1? I painted mine with flat black radiator paint a while ago and I am finding it to be excessively fragile. I think I would rather go unpainted...
  2. The DF-provided exhaust ... I presume it's stainless? Won't rust? I would like to coat it I think. Can it be powder-coated, or does it get too hot for that? I know Cerakote is an option, but I don't know anything about that.
  3. The module pictured below ... it's at the base of the power steering unit, where the top steering shaft knuckle is. I do not seem to have a plug on my harness for this module. Did I booboo?
View attachment 14763

That's all for now.
Great write up. Detail pics to go along with these tasks?
The steering sensor is not plugged on mine either.
Exhaust from DF is not stainless.
Good day of work, man!

Goblin Guru
I failed pretty hard today at taking pics. I figured most of it was rather mundane, I guess.

Sucks that the DF exhaust is not stainless, that basically means you MUST coat it or it'll become an eyesore.