Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Are they wireless cameras?
They are not. I thought about using wireless ones but decided on wired because for the front, the wire run is short and easy, and for the back, I figured I could just thread the wire up through the tunnel without a problem. Wired has less possibility of issues, so I went that way.

Ark, what camera/screen did you go with? There are many choices, but it looks like the one you picked up is very good.
I actually took a risk here and went uber-cheap, but I think it's going to work out well.

1. Screen: THIS ONE, $21.99
  2. Cameras: TWO OF THESE, $22.99 each
I chose the screen specifically because it's 5", and because it has auto-sensing on the reverse camera so it switches between front and back views automatically. I chose the camera because it's mentioned in the reviews that it can be rotated to be rightside-up no matter whether the mounting bracket is facing up or down.

*edit* In spite of what the info on the camera says, you do NOT need to ground one side of the white or green loops. You can simply cut the green loop if you want to mirror the view, or cut the white loop if you want to get rid of the backup guide lines.

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
I thought about that too but I'm a city frame, so it would have to be supported by the plexiglass and I'm not comfortable with that.

At $22, my screen can get stolen, for all I care. I'd be more concerned with a $150 option like yours though.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Ark, is water or moister an issue with the screens or cameras? Also, is the front facing camera going to be setup like a dashcam for recording?

Goblin Guru
Ark, is water or moister an issue with the screens or cameras? Also, is the front facing camera going to be setup like a dashcam for recording?
I don't think moisture is a problem for the cameras, but it might be for the screen. I don't intend to ever get it wet outright, but we'll see how it holds up otherwise.

No recording on these, I'll get a GoPro at some point for that, or design my own Raspberri Pi DVR setup.

Goblin Guru
Regarding toe in the front wheels ... I have about 1/4" of toe-in. Am I looking to make toe exactly even in the front and back end?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, make them even. I run about 1/16" front and rear. 1/4" is too much, I think that it is recommended 1/8".

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Regarding toe in the front wheels ... I have about 1/4" of toe-in. Am I looking to make toe exactly even in the front and back end?
While doing the adjustment, check it with and without some in the car. Just curious if you get a big difference. What do you do if it is off quite a bit, do you adjust with someone in the car or not?

Goblin Guru
After I evened everything up, I got my wife to sit in the driver side first, then the passenger side. no real difference, less than 1/16".

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Jeremy, if it does not hold the line very well you may want to toe in a bit more to get to the the 1/8". Will depend also on your camber setting. I found out that square actually lets it wander from center pretty easily.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Jeremy, if it does not hold the line very well you may want to toe in a bit more to get to the the 1/8". Will depend also on your camber setting. I found out that square actually lets it wander from center pretty easily.
Agreed, you don't want to be dead on straight. You want it to "plow" just a little bit to stabilize the steering.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
After I evened everything up, I got my wife to sit in the driver side first, then the passenger side. no real difference, less than 1/16".
Just to be clear, you didn't see a difference between her in and out of the car or just from one seat to the other. I was interested in being in and out of the car. If there is no difference there, you have ride height just right for the least amount of bump steer.

Goblin Guru
Just to be clear, you didn't see a difference between her in and out of the car or just from one seat to the other. I was interested in being in and out of the car. If there is no difference there, you have ride height just right for the least amount of bump steer.
I saw a variance of maybe 1/16th of an inch between when nobody was in the car, and when my wife got in.

I've confirmed that she will never, ever ride in this thing. Not only is she terrified of it, but she can't get in and out, lol.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I saw a variance of maybe 1/16th of an inch between when nobody was in the car, and when my wife got in.
That's very good and good to know. We are going to check our car also after replacing the wheel bearings just to make sure. When I first took our car in to have it aligned, it made a big difference when I was in the car versus out. That always bugged me that we adjust them out of the car and then jump in and don't realize they could be out of alignment.