Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I removed my windscreen and did some minor body work on the hood to clean up a few imperfections before plastidip. I also mounted the hood because I had not yet put the front end hardware on it and I wanted to see what I was in for, with the DZUS connectors (hate them). I had to compress the connectors on the frame a little bit with pliers to get the screw connectors to seat the whole way. I can easily see why people often replace those with something else, or at the very least, do their best to not remove the hood very often.

20200823_152038.jpg 20200823_152050.jpg 20200823_152058.jpg

I also finished attaching my side panels and while they are not perfect in both the wrap AND the mounting, they're good enough. This won't be a show car though. Thanks again Luke @lksohm for the vinyl logos!

20200823_152110.jpg 20200823_152119.jpg 20200730_160659.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I removed my windscreen and did some minor body work on the hood to clean up a few imperfections before plastidip. I also mounted the hood because I had not yet put the front end hardware on it and I wanted to see what I was in for, with the DZUS connectors (hate them). I had to compress the connectors on the frame a little bit with pliers to get the screw connectors to seat the whole way. I can easily see why people often replace those with something else, or at the very least, do their best to not remove the hood very often.

View attachment 16299View attachment 16300View attachment 16301

I also finished attaching my side panels and while they are not perfect in both the wrap AND the mounting, they're good enough. This won't be a show car though. Thanks again Luke @lksohm for the vinyl logos!

View attachment 16302View attachment 16303View attachment 16304
"with the DZUS connectors (hate them)"
yep

side panels look pretty good in the pics!

My wife (who drives a Mustang GT) was looking over my shoulder at your post and IC stickers. She yelled at you real loud - "RUDE!"......... Bwahahhahaaa

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru

View attachment 16299 View attachment 16300 View attachment 16301

View attachment 16302 View attachment 16303 View attachment 16304

I've been kicking the carbon fiber look around in my head. I think I like it. I'm for sure doing the hood with CF wrap, and after seeing your sides, probably that too. Looks good.

Goblin Guru
I want to wrap my hood but after doing my side panels, I've gotten cold feet. I'm just going to go the plastidip route and be done with it. If the side panels were that quirky to wrap, the hood's gotta be a nightmare!

*edit* I used ViViD on the side panels, maybe that was my mistake.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I took mine to a guy. I’m not much of a painter or artsy stuff. I can’t even draw a smiley face all that well. :confused:The guy who did it is a friend of a friend that does it as a business. He only really uses 3m, but will use vivid if need be. Vivid had the blue/black carbon I wanted (actually I really wanted blue/yellow carbon) and he said he would give it a try. The sides were easy (for him), but he played hell with the hood. We decided to scrap it and go 3m black carbon. It worked great but was still a pain in the ass for him. That rounded area for the radiator it still wants to come up. I have added clear tape to help keep it stuck.

Sides look great though, but I haven’t put them on yet.

Goblin Guru
On a positive note, my hood and engine cover are completely prepped for finishing, and my materials for that are en-route to be delivered tomorrow and Tuesday. Excite!

Not so excite is, I guess it's time for another new(ish) adventure. I looked over at my keys sitting on the end table this morning and noticed that my Goblin key is gone. It must have simply fallen off my keyring sometime in the last few days. I scoured the place from top to bottom, nothing. I scoured my daily driver from top to bottom, nothing. I checked all my pockets in all my clothes I've worn in the last week, nothing. So now I get to figure out what to do about this. I can't get the lock cylinder out of the existing ignition switch without the key, so I can't swap it with my 2007 donor's. Any thoughts? I'm a bit beside myself at the moment.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
On a positive note, my hood and engine cover is completely prepped for finishing, and my materials for that are en-route to be delivered tomorrow and Tuesday. Excite!

Not so excite is, I guess it's time for another new(ish) adventure. I looked over at my keys sitting on the end table this morning and noticed that my Goblin key is gone. It must have simply fallen off my keyring sometime in the last few days. I scoured the place from top to bottom, nothing. I scoured my daily driver from top to bottom, nothing. I checked all my pockets in all my clothes I've worn in the last week, nothing. So now I get to figure out what to do about this. I can't get the lock cylinder out of the existing ignition switch without the key, so I can't swap it with my 2007 donor's. Any thoughts? I'm a bit beside myself at the moment.
So the leading question is where did your better half hide it??? Seems suspicious that the Goblin key is the only one missing. :oops:;)

Goblin Guru
I wish that were the case, but ... nope.

So let's say I wind up having to get a new ignition switch ... I know the key is stored in the TDM, but is the TDM also matched to the BCM/ECM somehow? I might have known this at one point but I'm not sure anymore.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You can go to a salvage yard and grab one out of an automatic that has a key and do a relearn.

It will have a key lock. You will need to remove the solenoid from the ignition switch and use a paperclip to hold it in the unlocked position.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I think the BCM has to match up to the ignition security monitor - the black plastic ring that is around the key hole. The security signal feeds the TDM that the key being used has the correct RF chip - the tooth pattern on the key is only part of the process. But as we all know the BCM and ECM have to match up to communicate to start the car.

One thought, if you have the correct tooth pattern, you can turn the ignition lock to at least remove it which would allow you to change over to your other ignition set up.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
When I got a spare (ordered on the internet for $7) and took it in to get it cut, the guy at the store said that he would cut it but not charge me because the keys are so expensive ($60 at the store) and if it gets messed up he didn't want to have to replace my key. So he cut if for free.

Then I went home and did the easy re-learn process since I already had a key and it worked fine. Best and the cheapest insurance ever. Well, now I have a push to start system and use key fobs instead of the key.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
When I got a spare (ordered on the internet for $7) and took it in to get it cut, the guy at the store said that he would cut it but not charge me because the keys are so expensive ($60 at the store) and if it gets messed up he didn't want to have to replace my key. So he cut if for free.

Then I went home and did the easy re-learn process since I already had a key and it worked fine. Best and the cheapest insurance ever. Well, now I have a push to start system and use key fobs instead of the key.
Key guys are weird like that. :rolleyes: I get them cut for my work trucks. They get all freaked out because “It has a chip” it’s expensive. Whatever, can your little machine do it?