Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
A little tape bleed through and is that a bird's eye in the stripe or just camera anomaly? I love the red color, really pops against thr red. :)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Edges of the stripes are good for the most part. The "bird's eye" in the stripe is worse than it looks in the pic; I was peeling the tape mask and accidentally left it lay wrong-side-down on the stripe. A little wet red peeled off the tape and stuck to the stripe. One fast boo-boo means I re-do the hood. Learning experience!

Goblin Guru
Odo-Pro has impressed me. I shipped my BCM off to them for zero'ing on Tuesday. They are in Colorado; the BCM arrived there Friday, and I got a return shipment notification three hours later. That's super-fast turnaround!

I'm almost there. Next weekend, I should have some "finished" pics.

20200912_190254.jpg

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
Are you sure about that?? It's 66 degrees here in PA this morning, if y'all come up here hunting my keys, I'll have the freezing cold on my side!!!

Goblin Guru
Dude... looks awesome man!
Thanks.

I feel like I should probably detail my experiences with DYC plastidip, for those here that might be considering it.

I chose to go with Snow White Performance Series for the main color, with Lava Performance Series for the stripes. So I bought a sprayer system, one gallon each of Avalanche Grey (base coat), and Snow White (top coat). I knew I wasn't going to need anywhere near a gallon for the stripes, and that's the smallest amount you can buy short of samples, so I bought four 8oz sample bottles of Lava. I also ordered some other stuff, like the Dip Coat spray, the standard prep stuff, and thinner for cleaning.

I received all the stuff pretty quickly. My first thought on the sprayer system was that it felt cheap ... but it got the job done in every way for me, so maybe that was a snap judgment. I laid down the Avalanche Grey base coat on my hood and two engine cover pieces (used only half a gallon of grey), then the Snow White top coat on both (used a little more than half a gallon). I let it dry for a full 24 hours, then masked the stripes on both and sprayed the Lava. Everything went great except for the last 10 seconds of the job, when I wasn't careful enough and I let the end of my wet red masking tape make contact with the red hood stripe. It made a blemish severe enough that I waited for the dip to all dry well, then I peeled the hood completely and ordered another gallon of Snow White and four more sample bottles of Lava. I left the engine cover go though, seeing as it was pretty close to perfect.

This past weekend, I resprayed the gray base on the hood, then the Snow White top coat. Waited the 24 hours for it to dry, re-masked for the stripes, then resprayed the stripes. All went perfectly well this time, except that the stripes on the hood were OBVIOUSLY a different shade of red than the stripes on the engine cover. It must have been a side effect of having two different batches of Lava ... but I will say, the second batch of Lava matched more closely the darker red I was expecting, so I pulled off the engine cover, masked off only the stripes, and sprayed a few new coats of Lava over the old. It worked out perfectly; now the stripes are the same shade on both the hood and engine cover.

All in all, I'd rate the DYC product 10/10. It's very easy to use and very forgiving of mistakes, especially compared to actual auto paint. The sprayer, even though it felt cheap to me, did the job great and cleaned up really easily between colors. DYC.com's service was fast. The difference in shade between the Lava batches bothers me a little, as the first set of sample bottles was more fire-engine red while the second set was exactly the darker red I was expecting. But I won't hold that against DYC. The sample bottles may not have been mixed well prior to shipping, but who knows; I shook the hell out of them before I sprayed, so I know it wasn't my fault. No matter, it looks great now.

Bottom line: dipping was super easy, and I'll do it again if I decide to try a new color (probably will). Just make sure you use only one batch for everything to ensure perfect color matching.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Are you sure about that?? It's 66 degrees here in PA this morning, if y'all come up here hunting my keys, I'll have the freezing cold on my side!!!
I’ll wear all my hunting gear for them cold temps. :D

too much colder and we will have to wait till next summer, though. o_O

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
IT IS OFFICIALLY DONE.

Well, as done as these cars ever get, anyway. I'm still missing my button panel, but that's a minor detail. I still have a bunch of things planned for it, but I'm going to call it done at this point. There's flaws in the car all over, but they're pretty tough to spot and it's most likely that only I will ever see them. Another Goblin builder might notice a couple, but by and large, I am very happy with how it turned out. This was such a new thing for me, a total adventure. I enjoyed almost every minute of it, though I must say, finding out that donor #1's engine was toast was the extreme low point. Everything else, including figuring out the wiring issue (thanks again forum and Lonny, you all are the BEST), were all just learning experiences.

I'm not going to pursue registration until mid-winter. Up here in the northeast, we don't have a lot of good topless driving weather left for something like this, and I do not have the horn working yet. I'll add to the thread in the future, once I chase after registration, to detail how that went.

Now I get to start the process of cleaning all the crap out of my garage!

Pics below (some are from over the weekend, before I had the engine cover back on it):

20200922_110529.jpg

20200917_195746.jpg

20200922_110520.jpg

20200922_110508.jpg

20200922_110513.jpg

20200918_185959.jpg

20200918_183447.jpg

20200918_183432.jpg

20200918_181820.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
FANTASTIC!!!!! What an adventure you had with this project, many of us followed along with the rollercoaster ride you were on and tried to provide support where we could. But you came through on all the tough problems and amazed us with your resilience. Great work, now all the little details are left and only the registration hurdle is left. Hello Montana... :p:D