Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ark, good job with the seats. Important that they are mounted to fit you, since comfort is an important thing if you will be doing any extended driving distance. I will have to consider your (and Motoracer's) solution for a seat mount when I get ready to do my seat install. :)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Makes me glad I've basically settled on the easy option (corbeaus) ha. But I am a tiny bit nervous about having no adjustment, but I'll just have to deal with that as it comes. If I get uncomfortable I'll just pull over somewhere for a bit and talk to the small crowd that will quite likely emerge and remember why I'm riding around in said seat/car!
Did you go with the standard or the extended frame? I doubt you'll have any issue at all. If I am not mistaken, the DF brackets, while not adjustable on the fly, have several options for seat positioning.

Ark, good job with the seats. Important that they are mounted to fit you, since comfort is an important thing if you will be doing any extended driving distance. I will have to consider your (and Motoracer's) solution for a seat mount when I get ready to do my seat install. :)
Thanks DS. When Motoracer posted his solution, I knew it was perfect. Well, it's as close to perfect as I could get. I would have preferred not bending the eBay brackets at all, but, it's solid nonetheless.

Goblin Guru
I should add, in this post, I mentioned using 3/4" spacers between the rear mounting points of the eBay brackets, and the mounting points in the frame. I have since removed them and I used 1/4" spacers there instead. The 3/4" ones were too tall to allow the steel pieces to rest on the back crossbar. Using 1/4" spacers instead allowed room to bend the bracket and for the steel to rest on the crossbar.

KSLunsfo

Did you go with the standard or the extended frame? I doubt you'll have any issue at all. If I am not mistaken, the DF brackets, while not adjustable on the fly, have several options for seat positioning.
I did go with extended. One reason I did so was so I'd have a tiny bit of storage behind the seats. I'm also in the 5'10"-5"11 range. Maybe I can fit a couple small pillows behind the seats in case I want an on the fly change lol.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
So I'm about a day behind you. I went with the corbeau LG1 standard width. I have a couple concerns, one the shoulder harness holes are close together and the other is the 5th belt mount. It drags the bottom of the seat and is directly under where you sit. Was this the case for yours? Am I trying to mount the seat to low?

Goblin Guru
but just like Thomas Edison, you now are more knowledgeable than before...... and you really did not fail!
All this experimentation and learnin' has me convinced that, if I build a second Goblin down the road, I will be able to throw it together in a week.

So I'm about a day behind you. I went with the corbeau LG1 standard width. I have a couple concerns, one the shoulder harness holes are close together and the other is the 5th belt mount. It drags the bottom of the seat and is directly under where you sit. Was this the case for yours? Am I trying to mount the seat to low?
Torch, I wish I had some input for you here. I haven't even thought about harnesses at all yet. But, I can tell you that with my modified bracket, I have about 1.5" to 2" of clearance between the 5th belt mounting point and the underside of my seat. Bearing in mind that I have 1" wide steel signposts on my brackets, as well as 1/4" spacers between them and the sliders, I can say that I would not have much clearance at all if I had just stuck with the eBay brackets alone. You may want to consider picking up some 1/2" or so spacers and some longer bolts to go in under your brackets, give yourself a little more room under there.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I had the same issue with the 5th point. I actually took the bracket that came with the belts and bent it so that the belt comes out almost flat under the seat. That bracket does not bend easily since it is hardened steel.

I also feel like I wasted a bunch of time putting adjusters in my standard length chassis. I have them shoved all the way back for my 6'0" body. I never moved them last summer. Should of went extended length to make some more room for storage and adjust -ability.

Motoracer110

Sign posts look great . I have to readjust mine so my wife can drive the car not looking forward to taking them back out and reinstalling ;)

Goblin Guru
I had the same issue with the 5th point. I actually took the bracket that came with the belts and bent it so that the belt comes out almost flat under the seat. That bracket does not bend easily since it is hardened steel.

I also feel like I wasted a bunch of time putting adjusters in my standard length chassis. I have them shoved all the way back for my 6'0" body. I never moved them last summer. Should of went extended length to make some more room for storage and adjust -ability.
Karter, at least with the work you've done, a shorter person could drive your Goblin if the desire was there. That's why I don't feel like it was an utter waste of time to add the ability to adjust the seats, but some exposition like what I've written in this thread would have been handy back when I was making my decision. It was probably out there, I just didn't see it. I take comfort in the fact that my wife could drive my Goblin (yeah right, who am I kidding? She doesn't know how to work a clutch and she was terrified of my Mustangs in the past, I can only imagine how scared of the Goblin she is)......

Sign posts look great . I have to readjust mine so my wife can drive the car not looking forward to taking them back out and reinstalling ;)
I know what you mean. I will probably end up taking the driver's seat back out to paint the modified brackets, that bare steel is just ugly and if I go without the side panels like I've been contemplating, they go from "ugly" to "eyesore" status.

Goblin Guru
~Fin

20200229_190930.jpg

20200229_191133.jpg 20200229_191136.jpg

(Why does camera flash have to make everything look filthy? Bah!)

I decided to rip the driver's seat back out and paint the modified rails black, so the galvanized steel didn't stick out like a sore thumb. I also took the opportunity while the seats were out to get some better, thicker hardware and bigger washers for the four bolts that go through the floor pan. Also used red Locktite on ALL the bolts.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll actually start building the car now. Lol!

Goblin Guru
I've already done the "seat dance" ... they've been out, then back in at least 10 times. If I have to remove them during the build, I will, but they're meant to stay put now.

If I actually do have to take them back out, I'll use blue Locktite and will consider it a lesson learned. :)

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
Just a smidge of progress today, nothing huge.

20200301_175659.jpg

I found out the hard way that both my pedal boxes were warped from the accident that totaled my donor. Nothing a little elbow grease couldn't fix. Speaking of elbow grease, my collapsible steering shaft was anything but collapsible. Oh yeah, and like many others on here, I had to trim a little metal from around the steering shaft hole in the bulkhead.

Turns out, once I had the pedals in, I actually had to scoot my driver seat up an inch or two to reach the pedals correctly. So, my seat adventure wasn't for naught after all.

Goblin Guru
At least you didn't say you needed to take the seats out again! :p
Don't worry DS, I'm sure that's coming! =P I'm already contemplating putting the original sliders back in, since the action of the new ones is pretty rough. Gonna focus on getting that first start though, before I do that.

Goblin Guru
I'd like to find a way to add "quick-release" to my seats for that purpose. Also, I don't like taking the eBay brackets out and putting them back in any more than I have to, they're chewing up my floor pan a bit.