Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Yeah, going to try to work it out with Adam. I've got a few other issues going on so I'd rather just include this among them and deal with it the right way.

Goblin Guru
Looks like the parking brake kit was missed on my packing list, that's why I got the regular calipers and no hardware.

It's not my intention to report on errors made with my kit here, I just want to be clear on that. Also want to be clear: DF has been great and has resolved every issue I've had perfectly, even my self-inflicted ones. So shout out to Adam and Lonny on that. They've been an example of the best support in the business.

baustin

They look like stock solstice calipers to me
The caliper is stock but DF machines the mounting brackets. The outer corners near the mounting bolts of the bracket wouldn't clear the steering knuckle (or something in that area) without this modification, probably could angle grind it to achieve a similar result.

Goblin Guru
So to my GREAT surprise, I now have to replace a stud on one of my mirrors. I think I found them on Amazon ... can anyone confirm for sure? If this is them, I will research replacing the stud. Otherwise, I'll just have to buy a new set: https://www.amazon.com/MZS-CBR1000RR-Motorcycle-Honda-SC59/dp/B07CFQLV6C

Backstory: when I received my frame, one of the mirror ears was bent a little bit. Way back in November 2019, I corrected the bend as best I could at the time, but today, I found it was not quite perfect. After a little more bending, it was REALLY close, so I just positioned the mirror, threaded the nylok nuts onto the studs, and tightened carefully in an attempt to wedge the base of the mirror into the ear. Not careful enough I guess; the stud gave way and broke off before the mirror seated properly.

Goblin Guru
Weekly status update time.

So as I mentioned above, I busted one of my mirrors. I found a "carbon fiber" set that's identical otherwise that I like, so I am probably just going to replace them both with that set. I did, in the meantime, straighten out the mirror ear on my frame as close to perfect as I can with two pairs of vice grips.

I don't think I reported on it in this thread, but I mounted my wing. 53" long, with a built-in third brake light and turn signals. It was cheap ($180 something) and I don't love the look of it, but it'll be one of those items that goes on the Upgrade List for Later.

20200702_213318.jpg

20200702_213340.jpg

(Don't worry, I have since cleaned up my disaster of a garage, lol!)

Today, I mounted the headlights (another upgrade item for later, I think) and mirrors, and wired them up. I also corrected a months-old mistake I made with the wiring; I had accidentally ran the turn signal wires to the headlights and the headlight wires to the turn signals. It wasn't too bad to fix, just had to strip off a baseball-sized wad of electrical tape, re-run a few wires, and tape it back up. I do, however, still have a small wiring problem that I will try to fix when I am feeling ambitious ... instead of (ground, parking lights, low beam, high beam) running to my headlights, I seem to have (ground, parking lights, parking lights, high beam) instead. I have no idea where my low beam wires went. Functionally it works, it's just impossible to have the parking lights on without the headlights, and both positions on the headlight switch do the same thing.

20200712_195535.jpg

20200712_195541.jpg20200712_195559.jpg

A bunch of my stuff shipped from DF on Friday so I'm rounding the last turn into the home stretch. Still work to do.

1. Wire taillights and wing
  2. Finish turbo intercooler mounting, wiring, and plumbing
  3. Put the shifter together
  4. Top off the transmission fluid (should I flush ALL the existing fluid, or is it fine to mix new with old?)
  5. Build the rear suspension
  6. Put the parking brake together
  7. Cut and attach the footwell cover
  8. Cut my engine cover
  9. Wrap/paint/whatever the hood, side panels, and engine cover
  10. Mount the windshield and frame onto the hood
  11. Once everything else is done and the car is "done", finish up the push-button starter with proximity detection
  12. Figure out what I want to do for a sound system (I have most of this in mind already)
Additionally, I saw a wheel lighting setup that I'd like to adapt to the Goblin. The only problem with it is, it's designed to use a normal car's brake dust shields as mounting points, which we don't have. In the future, I'll see what I can come up with as an alternative.

Goblin Guru
What wing is that? I actually like how it looks and the lights are a nice bonus.
It's THIS one.

You're in luck, the price has fallen through the floor for some reason. It's only $103 right now; I paid $180. Here's a VIDEO of the lighting. I don't intend to use any of the cheesy effects, just the third brake light and turn signals. It's nice because it's universal, there's no futzing with trying to make an adapter. It comes with mounting points that slide in and can be positioned anywhere on the underside of the wing.

The QA isn't great though, mine was missing a bolt and they're not easy to replace because they're very short.

Goblin Guru
On a positive note, now that it's dark outside and easier to test, I don't think I screwed up my wiring at all except for swapping the parking light +12v and the low beam +12v when connecting the headlights. I'll fix it tomorrow and re-test.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
  1. Put the shifter together- do most of this on the bench. Set up the shifter rods and such, then mount it to the car.
  2. Top off the transmission fluid (should I flush ALL the existing fluid, or is it fine to mix new with old?)- it’s 2 containers worth. Might as well replace it.
  3. Put the parking brake together- again, set up the lever on the bench. The rest just falls in place.

Goblin Guru
Good advice, I will take it to the bank with me.

*edit* Hopefully the subframe doesn't prevent me from getting the little hex bolt out to fully drain the trans fluid. Damnit, I should have done it before putting in the subframe.....

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Your back will thank you later. Mount the shifter and setup the rods and levers like the instructions say. This makes it a lot easier to center everything up and such. Same with the park brake. You can drill your holes and get everything lined up. then you drop in the whole assembly, move the shifter to run the cables and done.

I was just about to post on this. I took a cheap-o harbor freight T handle Allen and cut the end off, so I could use a wrench on it.

Attachments

Goblin Guru
What wing is that? I actually like how it looks and the lights are a nice bonus.
@Anks329 buyer beware, I discovered earlier that my wing is missing the green lead for brake lights as shown in the pics on the site. As it stands, my wing won't function as a third brake light. I've got an email in to their tech support, hoping for an RMA/replacement control module.

Goblin Guru
Your back will thank you later. Mount the shifter and setup the rods and levers like the instructions say. This makes it a lot easier to center everything up and such. Same with the park brake. You can drill your holes and get everything lined up. then you drop in the whole assembly, move the shifter to run the cables and done.

I was just about to post on this. I took a cheap-o harbor freight T handle Allen and cut the end off, so I could use a wrench on it.
Rttoys, to go a little further with this ... is the best way to fill the trans fluid to remove the top hex bolt and use a funnel from the side? Seems kind of janky, but I haven't been able to find anything else.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I can take pics later when I get home, but yes, the Allen bolt next to the dr axle is the fill hole. I luckily had a piece of tube I could stick in there and attach to a funnel to pour it in.