Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Do the front hooks fit into the floor slots? Hard to see in the photos. Looks like some spacers may be needed to bolt up to the mounting holes in the chassis, but looks like the holes in the brackets line up ok. Do they line up with the bolt holes in the bottom of your seats or will you have make new holes?
The hooks fit, the holes line up at the back, I can either tighten it down and bend the back down or put spacers in. The way it is sitting in the second picture shows the gap. I don't have my seats or sliders yet but i will probably mount the sliders to the bracket so they are about an inch over the front bar

Christopher Sanchez

The hooks fit, the holes line up at the back, I can either tighten it down and bend the back down or put spacers in. The way it is sitting in the second picture shows the gap. I don't have my seats or sliders yet but i will probably mount the sliders to the bracket so they are about an inch over the front bar
I actually used these same mounting brackets in my build. The issue I had was the brackets actually do hook into the floor but the center square tube on the floor of the frame causes the brackets to bend then fit loose.. I actually welded a small piece of square tubing across right after the floor hooks to add some tension to the brackets. After that they fit snuggly. Sorry I guess I did not take a picture after welding it on but you get the idea. Once you install the seat it will feel snug and nice until you sit in it the bracket bends and the seat will fit loose. Still better than paying 200+ for the planted ones in my opinion.

Attachments

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
So if I am understanding properly in Part 2 of thinning the body harness, my parking brake lead won't function properly in the Goblin. Meaning, the instrument cluster light won't go out when the parking brake is applied. Is that accurate?

*edit* Err, I'm sorry, brain fart ... I meant, the light won't go on when the parking brake is applied......

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The brake light will be on regardless because you removed the brake controller. So having the park brake set or not won't affect the light.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
The brake light will be on regardless because you removed the brake controller. So having the park brake set or not won't affect the light.
Again that was one of the things that the quality assurance officer looked for was a functional brake indicator. Welcome to PA.

Goblin Guru
I believe I may try to source another body harness for a SS/TC. It'll be quite a while until I can test mine, but it differed enough from the earlier video series that I am concerned. Additionally, I was too smart for my own good, and I did the ground wires differently than the video because I intend to run my own, larger-gauge ground.

I know I don't have a great reason to be worried, but I am nonetheless and I've found I'm usually right about these things! lol

Maybe I can trade my 07 SS/SC's body harness?!

Ross

Goblin Guru
I left the grounds to last, and just routed them to the nearest grounding post...
of which there is only 3: Drivers side transmission mount, pedal box under the dash, and the side of the battery mount.
My frame was one of the last ones to have a tunnel ground post, but I just skipped using it.

It really doesn't matter where a ground goes, as long as it has a good connection to the frame... anywhere works!

Keep what you have, and debug the positive wires, don't fret about the grounds, they just all connect together.

Goblin Guru
So no worries about a ground loop? That's my primary concern. Safe to assume everything grounds to one of the three ground lugs then?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't worry about inadvertently creating a ground loop. Keep in mind that most vehicles have a lot more than three ground points for the entire electrical system. We all see this first hand with what seems like a dozen different ground wires going to a variety of places.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Ground loops are easily avoided by having 1 ground per item, and they only cause radio problems, of which I don't have.

Goblin Guru
I guess this question might help address my concerns ... does every grounded item in the Cobalt, ground to the frame? Nothing grounds by going back to the fuse box, or anything like that?

Ross

Goblin Guru
For our wiring purposes, yes, ground everything to the frame.
There are a few exceptions on the engine wiring harness, but we don't need to cut into that.

Goblin Guru
Managed to source another SS/TC body harness, so now I have a spare. I'll probably just work through it as the new video series is released, and if I end up with two functional harnesses, I'll sell a reworked one to someone on here for cheap.