ASkiles' 918GBLN Street Build - 06 SS/SC

askiles

Goblin Guru
This is most of the donor parts all cleaned and ready to go in. Oh, the wiring harnesses...still need to be done. Are most people taking care of the harnesses themselves, or sending them to Lonny and Adam?

Attachments

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I’d say most are doing it themselves. It’s a very tedious task but knowing exactly how everything connected was pretty educational for me and I’d do it myself again.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
It’s the most enjoyable part of the whole build! Everything else is boring, especially the first start. Everyone looks forward to the wiring harness.

Actually, most do it themselves. Take time and organize and don’t allow yourself to get overwhelmed. Label, zip tie, tape, and keep it organized and it makes it a lot easier. I must have used hundreds of zip ties just tying it up and cutting ties to keep it straight. It’s accomplishment to be proud of when done.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I agree with Justin. I'm not so sure I agree with Briann and that being my favorite part Lol. It is not that bad to do it is time consuming and needs patients. It is a plus to know some what where all the wires go to.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I actually really like wiring a car. I have done a whole car from scratch. So maybe I will attempt it. Is it easiest to do on the car, or off the car? Or a combo of both. I can see the advantage to on the car would be exact fit.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I actually really like wiring a car. I have done a whole car from scratch. So maybe I will attempt it. Is it easiest to do on the car, or off the car? Or a combo of both. I can see the advantage to on the car would be exact fit.
Easier to go most of it off the car. DF has the measurements pretty much down to a science. We did the bulk of the work on the bench and then finished it in the car because I customized some of the wiring.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Easier to go most of it off the car. DF has the measurements pretty much down to a science. We did the bulk of the work on the bench and then finished it in the car because I customized some of the wiring.
Understood. Thanks...I am thinking I will go ahead and attempt it. What's the worst that could happen. LOL ;-)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Bye bye donor car. Time to get it all 100% prepped now. I need to clean and replace some of the parts from the front suspension. The coilovers parts are on their way. It’s coming along!
Andy, great progress. My donor carcass is still sitting in the garage. Question: did you take your donor carcass to a wrecking yard or have someone pick it up? Did you have to surrender your title?

askiles

Goblin Guru
Andy, great progress. My donor carcass is still sitting in the garage. Question: did you take your donor carcass to a wrecking yard or have someone pick it up? Did you have to surrender your title?
So I hauled it away and it is sitting at my shop/office. We have lots of space so it will just sit until I finish the Goblin, register it, and no longer need the Cobalt. We may just slip it into our scrap bin when it comes time. We will see. I would assume if you take it to a scrap yard they will want the title. Just to make sure it is yours.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So I hauled it away and it is sitting at my shop/office. We have lots of space so it will just sit until I finish the Goblin, register it, and no longer need the Cobalt. We may just slip it into our scrap bin when it comes time. We will see. I would assume if you take it to a scrap yard they will want the title. Just to make sure it is yours.
Our recycling center wanted the title or a bill of sale in your name. I used the bill of sale.

askiles

Goblin Guru
4-19-19 Update

I have all my donor parts prepped and ready to go in the car when I get the kit. I believe they are welding out chassis #139 now, and I am #140. So close!!! Adam and I were hammering out some final details and options that I am picking up. I have my harness mostly done, just a few more things to finish up. I’ll leave some of the dash harness loose so that I can run them accurately, then finish taping it up. Or just zip tie it. We will see how I feel then. Lol

I got my subframe, solid transmission mounts, and tie rod mount all powdercoated. I am going with Kingston Grey. It’s a nice dark metallic charcoal, but not too dark.

I pulled apart my clutch today, took the flywheel off to inspect the main seal, all looks good. I suspected a slight oil leak from there, but I am thinking it was from the oil pan right in that area. When the engine is mounted in the car I will pull the pan and reseal it.

Pedals painted. Hubs painted and bearing covers cut down. Coilovers are here and assembled. New axles. New control arms with new bushings and ball joints. New hubs for the rears.

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
While working on your harness, leave a constant power and a ground available for the push to start button. Extend it all the way out to the key switch. Also add a wire to the switched side of the brake switch and extend it out to the key switch also. That way when you are ready to install it, you have everything ready.

askiles

Goblin Guru
While working on your harness, leave a constant power and a ground available for the push to start button. Extend it all the way out to the key switch. Also add a wire to the switched side of the brake switch and extend it out to the key switch also. That way when you are ready to install it, you have everything ready.
What is a good source for the constant power? Is on of the 12v power outlets constant? Which side of the brake switch is the side?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I would leave a few constant and key hots. Just for the convenience of adding options down the road. Good sources are Power seat, radio, wiper, ac controls power windows, and locks. I left the constant and keyed hot from the radio I used those up already and wished I left more.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
What is a good source for the constant power? Is on of the 12v power outlets constant? Which side of the brake switch is the side?

The cigarette lighter (12v Accessory) is a good one to leave in and you could add a small wire(s) to it. There was one that I used but I don't know it's original purpose. It's a white L-shaped connector that was just a red and black (power and ground). It was long enough to reach the left side of the dash. It might have been for the radio/amp. There was an amp on the left side of the dash in my SS.

The brake wire you will connect to should be LIGHT BLUE. It may have one or two light blues wires connected together, it doesn't matter, just that you connect to the light blue wire and not the red/white.