Autocross class?

95Blitz

I know some you guys know what class the Goblins fit into.
I searched on here and couldn't find it, drop a link or post it up for the group.
Let's get a list going and I will keep this first post updated.
This is with non track tires.

So looks like:
N/A Goblin should be in Open Xtreme if it ever gets added to the SCCA classes
SS/SC TC Goblin should be in Open Xtreme Mod if it ever gets added to the SCCA classes

Local SCCA events could place you in E-Mod, Street Modified

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, Open Xtreme and Open X Mod are for Exocets, Goblins, Atoms, etc.
If you have forced induction, they put you in Modified, even if it was stock supercharger or turbo.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'm thinking that with 300+ kits on the books that the Goblin needs to listed in the SCCA rule book along side the Exocet and FF818. ;)

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yes, Open Xtreme and Open X Mod are for Exocets, Goblins, Atoms, etc.
If you have forced induction, they put you in Modified, even if it was stock supercharger or turbo.
What is that class, the top of the top?!

See, I would have to be in Closed Novice Amateur Still-in-diapers Stock Class. Okay, maybe Modified Novice Amateur Still-in-diapers Stock since ours in supercharged.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I researched our Houston chapter when trying to place the Goblin. Some of the older auto X guys thought Street Modified was "close enough". ? I am sure open to any corrections.
Looking now at other websites, it appears there are some differences regionally.

From what I can infer, the "street" class biggest catch is street legal tires. And a lot more of course.

In Houston, we have some serious machines showing up to create some CO2 for the day. The majority of the entrants are there for a fun day with no intention of wanting to advance for more competition. I would assume that if you have any desire to compete on a national level, the intricacies of the classes will need to be parsed properly. My son and I show up and drive our machines as hard as we can. And have a BLAST for the day! :)

Here is a quick link to our local chapter that really over simplifies the classes a bit.

Not sure if all states autoX are run like ours, but novices are extremely welcome. Most of the new guys stand out. They make you run in Novice Class the first 3-4 events. This type of event is ABSOLUTELY the place to go even if you have never exceeded the speed limit on public roads. ;) We had a young couple show up in their Corolla and there may have been an empty car seat in the back. The guy drove it pretty hard, but the wife drove like 10 mph through the course. As if a cone might explode if it was run over...... :0 But, nobody but the starter cared. He had to let her almost finish before letting the next car on the course.

I think everyone who builds a Goblin should experience an autoX day at least once! I have pushed all the local Houston guys to join us.

:)

ccannx

Goblin Guru
The Goblin is not listed in the accepted kit cars under the E-Mod rules yet. It is accepted on a regional level as E-Mod but does not qualify for national events under E-Mod yet. Write your Friendly SEB and put in a request. You can cut up a VW bug body and weld it on to run in X-Prepared if you would like.

AFAIK it does not fit any street classes including the new Xtreme Street A (XS-A) and Xtreme Street B (XS-B) Here

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep. The Houston scca chapter put us in street modified, but reading some of the rules, super street modified might be more fitting. They did tell us at the last meet that they talked about us to make sure we are in the right class. considering there’s not many in our class and we are just having fun, unless someone complains, I’m sure we will stay in the same class.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Yep. The Houston scca chapter put us in street modified, but reading some of the rules, super street modified might be more fitting. They did tell us at the last meet that they talked about us to make sure we are in the right class. considering there’s not many in our class and we are just having fun, unless someone complains, I’m sure we will stay in the same class.
Its E-mod. Street mod cars still have their production car frames. SS just means its a two seater. Your correct that no one is going to care until you get fast anyway. That just means they will go read up on the rules, but that is your job since it is your car. Hopefully it will be a problem for you sooner than later... : p

See section 18.1 A.1 under Kit cars page 151
Rules Here

"Members desiring approval of a particular kit car should provide the SEB with detailed information regarding the kit model and contact info, if available, for the OE manufacturer. For obsolete kit cars, the member will be expected to provide construction specifications, dimensions, and photographs for the SEB to examine and keep on file."

I have wrote them and I think a few others but have not heard back. Maybe if DF wrote them with technical specs we could get somewhere with the SEB.

STREET PREPARED takes things a little further than Street Touring. There are no limits on wheel or tire size, and there are several other modifications that go well beyond those in Street Touring – like the use of DOT-legal R-compound tires.
STREET MODIFIED allows engine swaps (within the same manufacturer), the addition for forced induction and any suspension as long as it uses the same attachment points. This is a class for the truly creative, and the cars sometimes end up with only a passing resemblance to their base. It’s the wildest of the classes that runs on DOT-approved tires.
With PREPARED, you’re moving into pure racing machine territory. Prepared cars usually have no interiors, racing slicks or may even be tubeframe cars with fiberglass bodies. Often the cars that compete here are cars from the SCCA Club Racing Production and GT categories.
MODIFIED is everything from pure, purpose-built racing machinery such as formula cars and sports racers to cars that started out as production vehicles but may have different engines, heavily modified bodywork and racing slicks.

Last edited:

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I did say "Place track frame " But luckily as that reads it looks like they will accept all DF Goblin kits. When certain variations are not excepted there is usually another line placed or an exemption on the same line.
I think I saw that sort of limitation for the FF818 before

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I did say "Place track frame " But luckily as that reads it looks like they will accept all DF Goblin kits. When certain variations are not excepted there is usually another line placed or an exemption on the same line.
I may be completely wrong but due to the limitation of the A-Pillar there will be no way the street frame is approved for track only autocross and this addition does not just impact auto cross correct?

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Not to confuse track frame with track only use. This only relates to autocross.

SCCA SOLO deals strictly with autocross events. This just puts the Goblin (all configurations unless otherwise stated) in the accepted kit car list for E-mod. This gives us an official place to run. Now we as builders have to meet all the E-Mod rules to be in compliance.

E-Mod is tough class this is the kind of competition the Goblin will face ....Jeff's 1958 Turbo Sprite