Axle Nut / Washer

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Did I misplace a washer? Regarding the Axle Nut was there a large thick washer that goes under the nut?

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Again got lucky and found the ones from donor.

Any chance anyone has a part number for the axle nut dust covers, I know I threw those out.

Iwanttogofast

I'm still working on wiring for now, but wondering if there is a best time to swap my axles for the new ones that I got. Now, while the engine is sitting on my homemade dolly, or after the drivetrain is installed in the chassis? Not sure what to expect regarding difficulty of getting the originals out. Is rocking, moving a concern while the drivetrain is resting on my dolly?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Sometimes they come out super-easy, sometimes not. For me, a pry bar made short work of one of them, but the other one was destroyed in the accident and really did not want to come out. Had to really work at it, even with a pry bar.

Putting the new ones in is best done with a helper, too, in my opinion. I had to give them a lot of pressure to get them to "pop in" and needed my wife to brace the frame (engine was mounted and frame was up on jack stands). Don't use a hammer ... at least, that's what I read somewhere.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I needed a sledge to pull my old ones out. The passenger side actually wouldn’t separate from the half shaft before it pulled the half shaft from the transmission. Had to put the half shaft in a vice and smash the axle repeatedly until it separated. Unfortunately, I shattered my half shaft bearing doing so and had to source a new Saab one.

I put the new ones in with the engine mounted in the chassis. Didn’t need anyone to brace or help, just make sure you get past the retainer ring when you put them in. It will be a audible snap/click in place. Give the axles a little tug and they shouldn’t move in or out at all (not the shaft, grab the end at the transmission. This is always where you push from)

Ross

Goblin Guru
Sometimes the axles get really stuck...
Lonny showed me how to push it in with a 3 foot long pry bar, until it clicks. No jarring, just a smooth push. Much better.

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Sometimes the axles get really stuck...
Lonny showed me how to push it in with a 3 foot long pry bar, until it clicks. No jarring, just a smooth push. Much better.
Wait. I just watched an eight minute video and still did not see the method you said Lonny showed you. You keeping that a secret???……

Ross

Goblin Guru
No secret, I just learned the "Lonny technique" a week after I made the video. Used a long bar to push the axle in farther. I think I pried against the tire... just pressed on the long bar until I heard a click (the clip snapped into its spot).
Lonny did pick me up roadside with a broken down goblin.... Nice guy! Probably not available in all 52 states.

Iwanttogofast

Thanks, guys. I've read several places that the F35 axles (specifically - for some reason) can fight back pretty hard. I think I'll try doing the swap prior to powertrain installation with hopes that mine don't fight me too much.