Axle selection.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Hello All,

Since I bought a new LSD 4.05 transmission, I'm wondering if I can use LSJ axle and wheel hubs so I can use the 4x100 hubs and not the 5 with limited wheel selections?

Am I right in assuming that the only difference between the LSJ and LNF axle mechanically was the splines on the wheel bearing side? The transmission side is all the same right?

Thanks!
Nuker-

Ross

Goblin Guru
My 2006 LSJ Cobalt came with 5x110 hubs... must be a different donor to get the 4x100 hubs. But I think my axles will fit both of those hubs. The LNF axles are bigger.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Lsj axles do fit the 4x100 hubs. I think that the only difference in the f35 axles is the hub end, the transmssion end should be the same, not 100% on that though

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
The LSJ axle work fine for the base model 4x100 hubs, I ran those in my first goblin. I'm wondering since I have a new transmission if I can just buy LSJ axle and wheel hubs to run the same 4x100 hubs I did before.

Nuker-

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The LNF axles are also thicker in diameter like Ross said, but I'm not sure that really matters in the Goblin.

I did a lot of investigating on using the SC axles early on and all of my research pointed to your thoughts of everything being the same except for the wheel bearing side.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The key to the differences at the wheel hub end is the FE3 versus FE5 code suspension. The FE5 has the larger ball joint stub diameter (.805 versus .750) and the bearing hub spline size/count that is on the 5X110 bolt pattern. The axle shafts are also larger in diameter.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I got the 4x100 base hubs for my 07 ss that has the 4.05 lsd and had no fitment issues. DFGoblin supplied the drilled rotors to fit. I’m curious if there is a 4 bolt rotor part number that would work.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Well the LSJ models have the smaller ball joints and the 5x110 also but are not compatible with the LNF wheel hubs.

I have the spindles from the 2009 LNF so I will use the FE5 larger ball joints, But What I'm thinking is that I can use LSJ axles and 4x100 wheel hubs from a base model.

Just trying to figure out if the splines are ONLY different on the tire side and not the transmission side.
Nuker-

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Okay, So I guess i'm correct to assume that I can swap axles AND wheel hubs to LSJ and I'll be set? The knuckles are the same across all models I'm assuming?

I'll maintain the LNF control arms and knuckles. Switch to LSJ axels and base model 4x100 wheel hubs.

Nuker-

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Hmmm I just found more info that LSJ axles won't work with LNF knuckles. So I guess its a full switch, Or I just go with LNF and redrilled hubs to 4x100....

Nuker-

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
That's the difference I mentioned between the FE3 and FE5 suspensions. Sourcing new (factory) axles is nearly impossible - many manufacturers claim to have LNF 'compatible' axle, but they don't have the correct wheel end splines. Options are to find used axles or to have some custom made.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
That's the difference I mentioned between the FE3 and FE5 suspensions. Sourcing new (factory) axles is nearly impossible - many manufacturers claim to have LNF 'compatible' axle, but they don't have the correct wheel end splines. Options are to find used axles or to have some custom made.
I guess I'll be ordering the OTTP stage 1 LNF axles then... Geesh

Nuker-

Thanks everyone

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If you install the LSJ bearing hub in place of the LNF bearing hub you can use the LSJ axles. It's a matter matching the spline counts correctly when swapping between the two. The LNF steering knuckle can still be used to mate to the larger ball joint stub.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
One other thing with the 4x100 hubs you can get the non ABS for the fronts and no need to mess around with the end cap.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
If you install the LSJ bearing hub in place of the LNF bearing hub you can use the LSJ axles. It's a matter matching the spline counts correctly when swapping between the two. The LNF steering knuckle can still be used to mate to the larger ball joint stub.
Okay so currently I have LNF knuckles and control arms, So your saying I can just switch to LSJ axles and base model non abs 4x100 wheel hubs no problem? If so thats exactly what I want to do!

Thanks,
Nuker-

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The bearing assay bolt pattern to the steering knuckle is the same for all models. I'm not 100% sure about the spline count/size for the LSJ versus the base model 4X100 wheel bolt pattern bearing assay.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The LSJ bearing hub three bolt pattern is smaller than the LNF bearing hub three bolt pattern.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hmm, a while back I ordered hubs that appeared to be LSJ with the wrong spline - my LNF axle end wouldn't go into the splines - but the mounting studs fit into the LNF steering knuckle? I wonder what those hubs were from that were sent to me, but I sent them back and got the correct ones. This led me to believe the LSJ bearing to fit the LNF knuckle, sorry.