Banjo Bolt Help

KingChuck24

I have been trying to install the banjo bolt on all of the brakes, I have cleaned off most of the powder coat and they still don't go in. Does anyone know what size of tap they need, we tried tapping out with, what it think is, the wrong size and may have messed up the threads a bit:

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The threads look damaged. :( I can’t tell ya the size, but if you have a tap and die set, there should be a thread gage in the there. Use that to find the thread pitch, then match up the size.

note:
You’ll need to remove the powder coat from the mating surface, so the brass washer can seal properly too.

Edit
when I’m in the garage later today I can check it if I have an extra banjo bolt laying around.

Last edited:

KingChuck24

That looks very useful, unfortunately out of stock. I think I will just go to my hardware store with the banjo bolt and check the size and buy the tap for that thread.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Just remember that the threads aren't determined by just bolt diameter but also thread pitch and in more unusual cases, thread profile. It won't surprise me if the banjo bolt isn't a standard course thread and is instead a fine thread pitch. M10 and M12 actually have at least thread pitches possible.

Spague

That looks very useful, unfortunately out of stock. I think I will just go to my hardware store with the banjo bolt and check the size and buy the tap for that thread.
Use this in your search bar
Nut & Bolt Thread Checker - Size Gauge Measuring Tool For Imperial And Metric Nuts & 26 U5L0

this is in stock. just bought two

KingChuck24

Just checked, the rear is M10 x 1.0 and the front is M10x 1.5. Yes they are different and yes I ruined one of the banjo bolts thinking they are the same...