BAustin's Extended Track - 06 SS/SC Donor - #157 Registered

baustin

I think you are running rich. The LTFT are near or sometimes maxed at -20% correction factor.
Do you have a wideband logging? I don't see one, but it would help.
I don't have any wideband setup yet. I'm more focused on getting the stock bugs out before I move onto tuning to improve things. Of course the goblin intake and exhaust aren't the stock LSJ setup so that may be a meaningless goal. I anticipate I'll move towards the wideband tuning at some down the road. In theory it feels like I'm trying to take it 1 step at a time, not sure how practical that is yet.

Ross

Goblin Guru
If you are going to buy a wideband for tuning, it might come in handy right now for debugging the engine.
HP Tuners did find a broken MAP sensor. (I drove it for a month, not knowing it had this issue.)

My DIY smoke machine helped me quite a bit too:
- 4 intake leaks
- exhaust gasket leaks

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
If I'm not mistaken, you can't just unplug the MAF and expect to test the engine performance without a MAF. There is a IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor in there also. Unplugging it causes the engine to see excessively cold intake air temps. There is a breakout harness available you can use to disable the MAF and keep the IAT. It has to have a temp sensor in there to compare against when calculating the MAF.

baustin

If I'm not mistaken, you can't just unplug the MAF and expect to test the engine performance without a MAF. There is a IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor in there also. Unplugging it causes the engine to see excessively cold intake air temps. There is a breakout harness available you can use to disable the MAF and keep the IAT. It has to have a temp sensor in there to compare against when calculating the MAF.
Ahh, I didn't get that far to know that. I'll try to see what I need to do to better test it.

baustin

If you are going to buy a wideband for tuning, it might come in handy right now for debugging the engine.
HP Tuners did find a broken MAP sensor. (I drove it for a month, not knowing it had this issue.)

My DIY smoke machine helped me quite a bit too:
- 4 intake leaks
- exhaust gasket leaks
I like the smoke test method, I haven't dealt with that before but will look into getting the parts to make one myself.

I also ran across some info suggesting to run the engine in open loop mode if doing the carb cleaner spray. I didn't set it to do that previously but I'm fairly sure I can with HP Tuners and then set it back when done.

baustin

Drove over the scales at the local mulch facility today. I didn't take the time to see front/rear split; I'll leave that for another day if wanted.
Total weight 1780-1800 lb (different reading pulling in and then pulling out, there was a pickup that drove over the scales between my readings). Subtract the driver which should be around ~200 lb with helmet. Gas gauge was around 3/8, can't recall what that volume means in the goblin at this time.

I had previously calculated in the 1600 lb range using spring compression and angles in my garage, so I was pretty close. I'll probably head back out there a different day to see if I can get axle weights, it's a scale long enough for truck/trailers at a county mulch facility but it does have to be calibrated since it dictates costs. They didn't mind me driving up just to see the weights, didn't ask for a slip with the value so I'm entering it here to remember.

Total weight: 1600 lb
Details: extended, track, full side bars, no added roof bars, 06 SS SC, footwell cover, hood, windshield, didn't have my engine covers installed, corbeau race seats, side panels, gas was around 3/8 on the gauge, 06 SS sway bar installed
hopefully that captures the weight variance options

Last edited:

baustin

DF tank is 9 ish gallons. That was Lonny's technical volume term. Not mine. ;)
Ha, very technical indeed.
What I should do at some point (though it would be easier for someone with a bone dry gas tank to check while filling from pure empty), is chart out what gas volume is required to hit the marks on the cobalt gauge. I think it's been discussed how the float position vs tank volume isn't calibrated for use in the goblin tanks since the cobalt tank was a very different shape. I feel like gas pump auto shut off does make it read full but I'm interested in knowing that when my gauge reads 1/2 that I have 5 gallons left, etc. 5 gallons at ~25mpg gives me a range to think of for drives.

I could do this by filling up once the gauge hits a specific mark but haven't charted this out yet. I would think this would be consistent for all goblins since the cobalt gas tank was the same for all years even though the pump changed the float levels would've meant the same thing.

For example (these are not actual numbers, just random examples) linear doesn't matter to me, just that I know what the tick marks actually represent:
F = 8.5 gallons or above
3/4 = 4 gallons
1/2 = 3 gallons
1/4 = 2.5 gallons
E = 1 gallon

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Would be good info.

Someone who is close to first start would have a good opportunity to measure by adding one gallon at a time and reading the gauge.
Or, one of us running the tank to empty and doing the above........ :)

Also, I think the turbo tank is a little different than the supercharged or NA tanks.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable running mine down to 1 gallon left in the tank. I haven't stretched mine much farther than putting ~7.2 gallons back in.

baustin

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable running mine down to 1 gallon left in the tank. I haven't stretched mine much farther than putting ~7.2 gallons back in.
Oh, definitely. That's actually why I'm interested in charting it out. Those numbers were arbitrary but knowing the actual chart would make sure I'm getting gas early enough.

I've got a couple gas cans that are empty in my garage right now, I might have enough can space to siphon my goblin tank and check it out. I don't have a 1 gallon gas can right now though, only 1x 2.5 gallon and NATO style 2x 20L jerry cans (1 is empty). I might try to work on this later this week.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I think mine is pretty low on fuel. I'll check it when it fill it back up. Although, it does seem like the gauge isn't far off. Seems like the last time I got fuel, it was a little over half on the gauge and it took ~4.5g.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I bent the wire on my gas tank float, to make it fit. So I doubt that my gas gauge is the same as the next persons.
I have about 3 gallons left when the gauge reads empty.

baustin

I've got a smoke generator setup now, just need to figure out where/how to best use it. I hooked it up to the line normally going to the crankcase vent valve (at the hose clamp point in the picture below, leaving the hose to the valve cover laying loose) and didn't have any smoke leaking out until I could see it coming out of the air filter. I think I what I need to do is pull the air filter off, put a glove over the inlet pipe where the air filter normally goes, take my hood off and then check everywhere.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures tomorrow of the smoke test setup I made. I hope my misfire issue is as simple as a leak on the intake path.

For reference, this is the service guide info I found on a cobalt forum:

xTooltipElement
Service Information
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt | Cobalt, G5 (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 1823665
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC P0300
System Description
The powertrain control module (PCM) uses information from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor in order to determine when an engine misfire is occurring. By monitoring variations in the crankshaft rotation speed for each cylinder, the PCM is able to detect individual misfire events. A misfire rate that is high enough can cause the 3-way catalytic converter (TWC) to overheat under certain driving conditions. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will flash ON and OFF when the conditions for TWC overheating are present. If the PCM detects a misfire rate sufficient to cause emission levels to exceed mandated standards, DTC P0300 will set.

DTC Descriptor
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P0300 Engine Misfire Detected

Conditions for Running the DTC
• DTCs P0107, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0120, P0121, P0125, P0131, P0132, P0133, P0134, P0171, P0172, P0220, P0336, P0502, P0506, P0507, P0601, P1133, P1621, P2135 are not set.

• The engine speed is between 469-6,400 RPM.

• The ignition voltage is between 9-17 volts.

• The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between -7°C and +123°C (20-254°F).

• The engine has been running for more than 5 seconds.

• The throttle position (TP) has not increased more than 8 percent in 1 second.

• The TP has not decreased more than 1.5 percent in 1 second.

• DTC P0300 runs continuously when the above conditions are met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The PCM is detecting a crankshaft rotation speed variation indicating a misfire sufficient to cause emission levels to exceed mandated standards.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.

• The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

• Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids
You must perform the CKP system variation learn procedure before proceeding with the diagnostic table. Refer to Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn .

Test Description
The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

2.If the actual CKP variation values are not within the learned values, the misfire counters may increment.

Step
Action
Values
Yes
No

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle

•Start the engine.
•Allow the engine to idle or operate within the conditions listed in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
•Monitor all of the Misfire counters with the scan tool.
Are any of the Misfire Current counters incrementing?
--
Go to Step 3
Go to Intermittent Conditions

Are any other DTCs set?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle
Go to Step 4

Can any abnormal engine noise be heard?
--
Go to Symptoms - Engine Mechanical
Go to Step 5

•Start and idle the engine.
•Compare the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) voltage indicated by the scan tool with the typical scan data. Refer to Scan Tool Data List .
Is the indicated value more than the typical value?
--
Go to DTC P0108
Go to Step 6

Inspect the following components:

• The vacuum hoses and seals for splits, restrictions, and improper connections--Refer to Emission Hose Routing Diagram .

• The crankcase ventilation system for vacuum leaks--Refer to Crankcase Ventilation System Inspection/Diagnosis .

• The powertrain control module (PCM) grounds for corrosion and loose connections--Refer to Ground Distribution Schematics .

• The exhaust system for restrictions--Refer to Restricted Exhaust .

• The fuel for contamination--Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis .

Did you find and correct the condition?
--
Go to Step 20
Go to Step 7

•Turn OFF the ignition.
•Remove the fuel pump relay. Refer to Relay Replacement .
•Remove the ignition coil for the affected cylinder, keeping the ignition connected to the harness connector. Refer to Ignition Coil Replacement .
•Install the J 26792 Spark Tester on the ignition coil and a good ground.
•Crank the engine.
Does the spark tester spark?
--
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 8

Inspect the affected cylinder spark plug boot for a missing or damaged ignition coil spring.

--
Go to Step 16
Go to Electronic Ignition (EI) System Diagnosis

•Remove the spark plug from the cylinder that indicated a misfire. Refer to Spark Plug Replacement .
•Inspect the spark plug. Refer to Spark Plug Inspection .
Does the spark plug appear to be OK?
--
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 11

•Exchange the suspected spark plug with another cylinder that is operating properly. Refer to Spark Plug Replacement .
•Operate the vehicle under the same conditions that the misfire occurred.
Did the misfire move with the spark plug?
--
Go to Step 17
Go to Step 14

Is the spark plug oil or coolant fouled?
--
Go to Step 12

Is the spark plug gas fouled?
--
Go to Step 15
Go to Step 13

Did the spark plug show any signs of being cracked, worn, or improperly gapped?
--
Go to Step 16
Go to Step 14

Perform the fuel injector coil test. Refer to Fuel Injector Diagnosis .

--
Go to Step 18

Perform the fuel system diagnosis. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .

--
Go to Step 18

Replace or gap the spark plug. Refer to Spark Plug Replacement .

Did you complete the action?
--
Go to Step 18
--

Replace the faulty spark plug. Refer to Spark Plug Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 18
--

Was the customer concern the MIL flashing?
--
Go to Step 19
Go to Step 20

•Operate the vehicle at the specified value for 4 minutes.
•Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC P0420 as specified in the supporting text. Refer to DTC P0420 .
Does the DTC run and pass?
2,500 RPM
Go to Step 20
Go to DTC P0420

•Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
•Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
•Start the engine.
•Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Step 21

Observe the Capture Info with a scan tool.

Are there any DTCs that have not been diagnosed?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle
System OK

baustin

I think I show the setup of the smoke machine I made in this video. Unfortunately, I didn't find any leaks, so I think I need to check for other reasons for my misfire.

baustin

Given what I'm seeing, I think I need to go back and use HP Tuners to do a CASE relearn. The GM instructions (pdf link below) says it should be completed after disassembly of things including the clutch and flywheel, which I did but didn't do a relearn.
https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-21854666697846/gm-crankshaft-relearn-instructions.pdf

According to the GM service procedure I copied in post #177 the first thing to do is the crankshaft variation relearn, prior to getting into the other diagnostics.
Diagnostic Aids​
You must perform the CKP system variation learn procedure before proceeding with the diagnostic table. Refer to Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn.​

I might try this this evening after getting the intake put back together.

baustin

Not sure if I'm getting the relearn to complete. I've reached out to HP Tuners to see if I'm supposed to be getting a confirmation/verification message or not.

I can hear the fuel cutoff happen and then let it return to idle. Next is to cut it off but I'm not getting any messages saying complete or similar through VCM Scanner. Hopefully they can fill in the info that the single prompt doesn't provide.