Bench Tuning PCMs

SliderR1

I was talking to Adam on the phone last week and mentioned the bench harness I had created. I told him I would post some pictures of it. I'm using HP Tuners to make changes. The small circuit board in my box is a UPS system - the backup is a small motorcycle battery seen in the pictures. This setup allows me to tinker with the PCM outside of the car. I had a need to do this for an LS swap I'm working on to get VATS disabled. If anyone has any questions - let me know. I'm by no means an expert at any of this, but I'm learning as I go...

IMG_3710.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I am going to run my LDK under the Bosch E69 PCM from either a Cobalt or HHR. I want to get rid of the VATS garbage as my BCM will only be used to run the instrument panel, lights, and possibly cruise control. I have read VATS can be shut off with hptuners, but also read that it cannot. Let me know if you have any luck removing your VATS.

SliderR1

I haven't tried it on an E69. I can confirm it is possible on an Atlas P12, which is what the '05 SS/SC has. You might try looking on HP Tuners forum in the I4 section. I did find some old posts that said they supported that ECM, but not the VATS feature on it...

Johvans

A wiring diagram pin out /source list would be great!

I've already got the ECU and obd II plug from the junkyard. I've found LS how-to's online but most just use a 12V adapter and wiring it all together without switches.

SliderR1

I've got a diagram at home I can take a picture of later this evening. Your pin numbers will be different since yours is an '07 and uses a different PCM. I think the OBDII should be the same.

My setup is overkill with the two power sources and the micro UPS - which made the wiring kinda messy inside. I was just worried that if there was an outage or something that interrupted the 110v supply, it could fry the PCM. They don't take well to losing power during a flash. If you are not going to use a UPS, it makes wiring it up much simpler and I would suggest using a well charged 12V battery hooked to a trickle charger.

SliderR1

Here is a picture of the very crude wiring diagram I used. I need to figure out how to get these images to rotate...sorry its sideways.

IMG_3948.JPG

SliderR1

Which program are you using? I tried that with picture manager and it still posted sideways...

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
He probably posted it from his phone. The computer guy in me is curious abut your UPS circuit board. I'm guessing it just detects when the power from the wall plug drops and switches automatically to your battery?

Silverback

Hope someone figures this out with the Bosch E69 ECM for the SS/tc. Unfortunately, it's beyond my pay grade ;)

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The only thing stopping me from figuring that out for us is the $500 price tag. Slider, did you make your own ECM pigtail? And if you did, you find the schematics on the HP Tuner's forum?

SliderR1

I got the pin out data from AlldataDIY and confirmed it with some posts I read on HPtuners.

I did make my own PCM connector. I went to the local pick-a-part junkyard and cut one off a Malibu or something... it was the closest thing I could find to the P12 connector and it hooked right in to the PCM.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I've got the service manual that lists the pin outs. The problem is I don't see anything that lines up with the data and ignition wires on your drawing. I understand the Bosch E69 is completely different, but the theory should be the same.

SliderR1

Yeah - the theory is the same. Since it's not a delphi computer, they could be named something weird. Can you take a picture and post it?