Bill's Street/Track Goblin - 2007 SS/SC - Chassis #204

ToxicBill

Well, I knew this Goblin was going to be hard work with lots of blood, sweat, and tears. Well, I've been sweating my butt off - summer in Texas. Now I have the blood part taken care of. I'm feel **** lucky I didn't lose my finger. Now I just need to shed a tear and I'll be set.

It made me feel a bit better when I had a successful FIRST START last night! Video to come. I need a new battery.

Attachments

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Scary stuff, man. I almost had a "mishap" as well, it narrowly missed, and I managed to not suffer because of it. I'm happy you're (relatively) ok.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Well, I knew this Goblin was going to be hard work with lots of blood, sweat, and tears. Well, I've been sweating my butt off - summer in Texas. Now I have the blood part taken care of. I'm feel **** lucky I didn't lose my finger. Now I just need to shed a tear and I'll be set.

It made me feel a bit better when I had a successful FIRST START last night! Video to come. I need a new battery.
Wowzers! Watch those digits!!!
Glad to hear OK, though.
Congrats on bringing it back to life! Only small stuff left, now. ;)

ToxicBill

Ok. Two things:

1- my OBD reader is unable to talk to the ECU. The car cranks and runs fine. I'm guessing there might be an issue with my wiring when I extended the OBD wires. Anyone happen to have a diagram handy of where those wires go so I can test continuity? I tested the grounds and the OBD reader gets power.

2- after draining the oil, I put 5.25 qts of oil into the engine. After running it for a bit, the oil level is barely touching the dip stick. I've even lowered the front end a bit to try to tilt the engine to push more oil to the dip stick. I understand that the capacity is 5qts so I'm hesitant to add more oil. Thoughts?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
1- my OBD reader is unable to talk to the ECU. The car cranks and runs fine. I'm guessing there might be an issue with my wiring when I extended the OBD wires. Anyone happen to have a diagram handy of where those wires go so I can test continuity? I tested the grounds and the OBD reader gets power.
On #1, mine doesn't either.

Do you have a POWER STEERING message on your cluster? If not, then the communication is happening all the way up until the last stop before the OBDII port. I am planning on dragging mine down to our local auto mechanic at some point to see if their scanner can check the codes.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Its just a tiny little car, it can’t hurt you. :p

Glad you are ok and exciting story would be helpful. o_O

Just going off of memory, that should be one of the green wires that are all tied together very late in the videos, somewhere up front.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It came from this connector on the main harness. I made doubly sure I had these a correct as possible. It’s the key to everything. I was nervous as hell, that all of them didn’t get spliced back together, but removing things like the abs and sir will do that.

the DLC is at the bottom, which you can see the green wire goes straight to that junction circled on the right.

Attachments

ToxicBill

Ok, I've traced the high speed GMLAN wires. In the attached picture, I've drawn what I think it should be (pencil) and the way it actually is (red ink). It would appear that I've twisted the wires between the BCM and power steering and then from power steering to OBD connector. Does anyone happen have a pin out diagram of the 6pin power steering connector soni can validate what is correct?

I do not get any power steering message on the garage cluster when I crank the engine up.

Attachments

ToxicBill

Thanks Ross. Much appreciated. I've verified that I have a connection between the OBD connector and the ECM and also verified each connection along the way. Also have verified grounds on the OBD connector. No power steering warning unless I unplug the connector from the power steering unit. It just seems as though my Bluetooth OBD reader just cant connect to the ECM . . Or at least my PC can't through the reader. For the record, it worked in the donor.

It's not a significant issue right now as everything else with the engine, wiring, gauges seems to work fine but I'd sure like to figure it out as I'd like to check codes and tune a bit later.

I don't see OBD pin 1 and 2 going to the ECM and they appear to the the low speed data wires but could that be having any impact here? Running out of things to look at . . . .

SACTX

2- after draining the oil, I put 5.25 qts of oil into the engine. After running it for a bit, the oil level is barely touching the dip stick. I've even lowered the front end a bit to try to tilt the engine to push more oil to the dip stick. I understand that the capacity is 5qts so I'm hesitant to add more oil. Thoughts?
Does that 5qts include the oil cooler? How much does that hold?

ToxicBill

ToxicBill

Stage 1 complete!

I ran new fuel lines, but not without drama. I told the guy at the parts store I wanted 6' of 3/8" fuel line and even pointed it out to him. I didn't realize until 10pm that night he had given me 5/16" fuel line. I made it work, we'll just say some vaseline was involved.
IMG_20200907_160830.jpg

I got the radiator and intercooler stuff figured out as well.
IMG_20200907_160608.jpgIMG_20200907_160618.jpg

With the help of @Ross by way of his detailed posts, I was able to track down the issue with my OBD II reader not working. On the LSJ, the data link connector (OBD II) pin 2 needs to connect to connector 1 pin 16 on the ECM. For some reason, I connected it to the low speed data bus which I validated by confirming OBD pin 1 and pin 2 had continuity. After I fixed that, it worked like a champ.

After scanning for codes, I have 2 confirmed and 1 pending
Confirmed are P0449 and P0452 - both having to do with the EVAP system. Since it is removed, I suspect these are expected codes. Is there a way to tell the system that things like this are gone?

The pending code is P0304 - cylinder 4 misfire. I guess I'll need to keep an eye on this one.

Now it's on to stage 2!!

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
With HP Tuners, I can turn off the codes that I don't want (evap, emissions, etc). Then if my check engine light goes on, it is something new!
Glad you could make use of my GM LAN notes.