Blind Squirrel Lurking...

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Hello, I'm a long-time lurker and about to take the plunge. I didn't see any intro threads so I hope this is a good place to start.

I made it through a few build logs (Desert Sasqwatch and the heartwrenching ctuinstra #1/#2) and my search for a donor is officially underway. I'm pursuing both auction and "local" used options currently, so we'll see where it goes from there.

I stumbled across the above build logs after searching around to help answer the usual frame and donor questions I had. After swearing I found my answer more than once, I am still considering several kit options. I figure I still have some time and will know I'm on the clock once I score a donor.

I just wanted to check in and say hello and make my first formal commitment by joining the online community, it seems like a great one from everything I've read so far!

I'm hoping this blind squirrel finds a nut or two along the way...

Thanks,

Sluggonaut (Kevin)

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Welcome! If there's anything we can help you with figuring out what kind of kit/build we might think would work well for you, feel free to ask away. Otherwise, good luck with your donor search!

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I am considering putting a bid in on this one: https://www.copart.com/lot/57655790/salvage-2006-chevrolet-cobalt-ss-supercharged-il-chicago-south

Looks like he rear-ended a pickup with the damage high in the front. I don't have the opportunity to see it in person but might roll the dice for a couple of hundred bucks, as I can have it to my door under $1k with fees and shipping. The auction is this Friday so I have to decide if I want to gamble at $1k or gamble on one of a few used daily drivers for $3-4k with the chance to at least see and drive the vehicle.

Ross

Goblin Guru
That is similiar to the chance I took. My 2006 SC donor was "not running" with "mileage unknown". I figured if the engine or transmission was bad, I can always buy another one, but I need other donor parts to build a Goblin. So I took a chance, and ended up with a high mileage donor, that is a blast to drive in a Goblin frame. 2 years later, I was able to purchase another donor with lower mileage, so I now have an engine to build higher hp, and one in the Goblin.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hello, I'm a long-time lurker and about to take the plunge. I didn't see any intro threads so I hope this is a good place to start.

I made it through a few build logs (Desert Sasqwatch and the heartwrenching ctuinstra #1/#2) and my search for a donor is officially underway. I'm pursuing both auction and "local" used options currently, so we'll see where it goes from there.

I stumbled across the above build logs after searching around to help answer the usual frame and donor questions I had. After swearing I found my answer more than once, I am still considering several kit options. I figure I still have some time and will know I'm on the clock once I score a donor.

I just wanted to check in and say hello and make my first formal commitment by joining the online community, it seems like a great one from everything I've read so far!

Thanks,

Sluggonaut (Kevin)
Where are you located? Doesn't say in your intro.

Keep in mind that donors from the 'rust belt' has LOTS of corrosion issues with the requisite disassembly frustrations and necessary part replacements. I'm not saying this is not good donor to pick up, but keep this in mind as an extra expense over purchasing a donor from less 'rusty' regions of the country. :)

And welcome to the forum.

GoblinGal

Goblin Guru

Thanks,

Sluggonaut (Kevin)
Welcome to the forum. We hope to add you to our Goblin Family sooner than later! Email us @ [email protected] if you ever need us!

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Where are you located? Doesn't say in your intro.

Keep in mind that donors from the 'rust belt' has LOTS of corrosion issues with the requisite disassembly frustrations and necessary part replacements.

And welcome to the forum.
I am from north-central Illinois - the closest city is Rockford, IL.

I never realized how easy working on cars could be until I helped a friend with a '69 Camaro from AZ back in the day (1990's). I thought fasteners only worked like that on cars during the year they were manufactured. Lol

I have more cans of PB Blaster/Knocker Loose and bottles of MAP gas than anything else on my shelf in the garage. Fully accustomed to nature's loktite in these parts, I am not afraid. Well, for the most part.

Thanks for the welcome!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I used to live in Rockton and worked in Rockford, grew up in Marengo. So you know what to expect then dealing with the metal mites. ;)

I used to have a blue 68 Camaro SS 396 that I would terrorize all the Ricers with in the area, but that was almost a couple decades ago now.

Now I'm in Phoenix and working on desert vehicles is soooo much better! :cool:

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I used to live in Rockton and worked in Rockford, grew up in Marengo. So you know what to expect then dealing with the metal mites. ;)
If you grew up in Marengo, then you likely know where Poplar Grove is located. Spent many a weekend in Marengo for youth football (Saturdays) and youth wrestling (Sundays).

Small world.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Spent a lot of time at the PG Airport, have many friends who live there. Was just there for the fly-in breakfast last month.
I live across the street from the airport in Candlewick Lake. I volunteered at many of the Fly-In Breakfasts when I was a Lion's club member. Those were always good times.

I've added 'Take DS for a cruise in my Goblin at a fly-in breakfast' to the list of goals. lol

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
One of the donors I am looking at is a turbo-swapped LSJ (ZZP K04 Turbo kit). Which Goblin kit does this require - the TC one since it has all the plumbing for the turbo?

Ross

Goblin Guru
You might be somewhere between the supercharged kit and the turbo kit.
Does your gas tank need to be for the LSJ, with the 5 bolt pattern on the fuel pump? Or was this upgraded to an aftermarket one with the turbo kit?
Does the LSJ use the stock water to air intercooler? Does it have an aftermarket intercooler?