Blow off valve

WYGoblin

Is anyone running a bov on a T/C goblin. My donor came with one but I am not sure if it is necessary. Or if there is any benefit from running one (besides the noise it makes lol).

WYGoblin

A cold air intake, like supplied with the DF kit will be noisy enough. It is cool for a while, but then you will want to quiet it down. I was told by ZZPerformance that the factory setup is far better. Check out this ZZPerformance video.
That is what I was thinking. The intake itself will be loud enough. Thanks for the video link it made a lot of sense when he was talking about the bov with a stock turbo. I will leave it off for now and if I ever upgrade the turbo to something bigger I might put it on. Thanks

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I have the stock bpv and it was significantly louder when I put the front windshield on - almost too loud without a helmet. Without the windshield it was still audible throughout my neighborhood (lol).

If you're venting to the atmosphere you should compensate for it in the tune / hptuners

WYGoblin

I have the stock bpv and it was significantly louder when I put the front windshield on - almost too loud without a helmet. Without the windshield it was still audible throughout my neighborhood (lol).

If you're venting to the atmosphere you should compensate for it in the tune / hptuners
I was worried about how loud the intake itself will be without the bov but sounds like if I do put one on the noise level might be too loud to cruise around town without a helmet or some sort of hearing protection. You guys are definitely convincing me to not put it on lol. It did sound cool on the donor car but there is a lot of metal and sound deadening in-between me and the engine. The more I was looking at the donor parts the more I think the previous owners "modded" the car. Bov, cai, aftermarket intercooler etc etc. I wonder if they ever messed with the tune. Hmm might have to find a stock 08 T/C tune to compare it to when I do start tuning it this summer.

WYGoblin

There is one stock tune file in the HP Tuners repository.

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt
Engine: 2.0 L4 - Manual
Submitted By: 08BlackSS/TC
Thank you Ross. I will go download mine and compare :D
I just downloaded my tune and compared it to the one you posted and they are almost identical. The differences might just be from years. The one you posted has an exhaust tab and mine doesn't, and some tables mine is round numbers and the other has 2 decimal places.

Last edited:

Indy Lonnie

Before you change your tune or would like to check - look to see if you have the stock map sensors. The stock ones have 2 bolts, the GM stage 1 sensors have only one bolt and either a adapter pigtail or have been soldered in... "USUALLY" the first step before tuning is changing out the sensors.
A professional dyno tune is the best $ you can spend. I think I looked and you are located in Wyoming. I would recommend ZZPerformance, but it is a long drive... They can do a remote tune where they send you a computer with HP Tuners on it and you can do the tune with one of their technicians. My 2009 LNF was stock, and it was WAY out of tune from the simple modifications of the Goblin kit. It was very lean. It runs soooo much smother and quieter after tuning. Power is night and day stupid afterwards...

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I may be misunderstanding the thread, but you will need to have a BOV or bypass valve. I don't think you should run it without one or the other.

WYGoblin

Before you change your tune or would like to check - look to see if you have the stock map sensors. The stock ones have 2 bolts, the GM stage 1 sensors have only one bolt and either a adapter pigtail or have been soldered in... "USUALLY" the first step before tuning is changing out the sensors.
A professional dyno tune is the best $ you can spend. I think I looked and you are located in Wyoming. I would recommend ZZPerformance, but it is a long drive... They can do a remote tune where they send you a computer with HP Tuners on it and you can do the tune with one of their technicians. My 2009 LNF was stock, and it was WAY out of tune from the simple modifications of the Goblin kit. It was very lean. It runs soooo much smother and quieter after tuning. Power is night and day stupid afterwards...
I still have the stock map sensors installed but do have the stage 1 sensors to install at a later date. Want to get it where I like it first then modify. I looked at the zzp remote tune and also Ross got me into a guy named Kyle from Goat Rope Garage and he has got me convinced to try to tune it myself. Nothing drastic mainly smoothing tables etc etc. Going to play around with it a little but have the stock tune incase I screw something up to put back in and start over.

WYGoblin

I may be misunderstanding the thread, but you will need to have a BOV or bypass valve. I don't think you should run it without one or the other.
Lonny, Are you running a bov on your T/C cars if so where did you mount it. The video Lonnie linked was saying that the stock turbo had some sort of internal "bov" already and a aftermarket one is not needed with it. If I upgrade the turbo I would have to install one most likely but that will definitely come at a much later date as I think the stock power will be plenty to satisfy me for a while.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The original LNF turbo has a built in bypass valve on the turbo. The turbo we used to upgrade Matt's off the ranch Goblin also had a built in bypass valve. We have never ran a BOV. I don't think there is any difference in performance but I don't know.