Body prep

Whidbey Goblin

It seems like most of you guys with finished cars had The hood and body panels vinyl wrapped. Mine will be wrapped and I want to prep these pieces for the folks that are going to wrap it. It seems like most of the edges are a little sharp. What kind of prep did you do before you had your goblin wrapped?

Attachments

JPas914

I worked the fiberglass parts as if they were going to get painted. A touch of bondo to fill in low spots and then a lot of sanding. Wrapping can make small surface imperfections look much larger than they are.

Last edited:

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Not body panel related but on my fenders I had them wrapped and it started to peel up on the edges after a few weeks. Removed the wrap & then I finished the rough underside of the fenders with body filler (about 1-1/2" all the way around the edge) and had them re-wrapped. The new wrap goes around the edge of the fenders & rolls underneath. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Will be having my body panels wrapped.

When sanding the top of the hood is it ok to use an orbital sander or would you recommend doing it by hand?

What grit sandpaper should be used?

Trail_Creeper

Will be having my body panels wrapped.

When sanding the top of the hood is it ok to use an orbital sander or would you recommend doing it by hand?

What grit sandpaper should be used?

I have yet to wrap a Goblin, but I've wrapped a few cars and motorcycles. With that said I've always tried to finish everything with 2k or 3k grit wet sanding by hand to remove all imperfections. Vinyl tends to highlight even the small sanding gouges.

Chris_WNC

So bondo on the underside where the raw fiberglass mat is? I was going to post asking about how to take care of that.

CHRIS