Brake caliper paint recommendations

Chubbs

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good brake caliper paint that won't flake off?

My last experience was with "G2", which I thought was supposed to be the best. It was put on a brand new Focus ST (new as in the first 500 miles). Within about 15,000 miles, it was flaking already. My first suspicion was my prep was bad (though I do pretty good prepwork), but it actually flaked off on the largest part of the caliper, where it was likely the cleanest. It wasn't in a nook or a cranny, it was right on a big flat spot. I was disappointed.

So, I'm looking to paint the goblin calipers with something that won't let me down after a few heat cycles. I don't care what it costs, but once it's done it needs to stay done for a while. Any suggestions?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I don't know if it was G2 that I used, but it was total junk! Mine was like a thin, runny epoxy with little pigment. Looked like crap when I got don't and didn't stand up to brake fluid.

I think power coating is the way to go. Others may chime in about it. Our brakes don't get that hot on this car

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I used the G2 on my first one and it was OK, but not great coverage. I decided to powder coat them on the new goblin.

Nuker-

PyroGuy923

I went with powder as well. Yes it was on the expensive but I know it will hold up. I was more concerned with durability.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I have been using Duplicolor caliper paint in rattle cans for years with good results. Not as good as powder but alot cheaper.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
I use regular black spray paint once they start to look bad. Then touch ups are easy and cheap. Brake fluid, brake clean, and brake dust are all going to affect any coating you have on them anyways.

Chubbs

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Seems like powder coating may be the way to go.

I do ceramic coating
rated up to 1800 degree and guaranteed not to come off.
$50.00 per caliper.
Not cheap, but good never is.
PM me for colors
Do you do all the cleaning/prep work as well? If so, that price isn't too terrible. It seems like it's impossible to get a used brake caliper truly "clean". Everytime I hit one with brake cleaner, more dust comes from somewhere.

socaljeff3798

Yes, I have to prep it properly so its a total degrease, mask, media blast, wash, gas out, coat and bake.
Many steps involved.
Oh and the product I use is over $300.00 a gallon!...So yes the price is more than fair and thank you.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I've used VHT caliper paint for years. $10 a can, good to 900 degrees. Follow the instructions. You have to get the calipers hot to set the paint. Whether in an oven or bedding in the brakes.

Chubbs

I have another remedial question...what brake components come with the goblin kit? I have seen a video where new rotors are shipped with the kit, but are new calipers and caliper brackets shipped as well?

The goblin website just says "brakes" are included. That could mean a bunch of things.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
You get new front brake calipers, brackets and rotors. If you order the ebrake kit you get new rear calipers, brackets and rotors in the back as well

Chubbs

Mine's a manual kit. So apparently, "all manual transmission kits now come with parking brakes". Is that the ebrake kit you're talking about?

It also looks like I could have ordered a separate "parking brake kit" for $400, and it doesn't mention anything about it not being necessary for the manual kit. Is the $400 option superfluous with the manual car kit?

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Not 100% positive, but i think the newer kits come with the parking brake set up as part of the new year cost increase. You may want to email and check support@dfkitcar.com

Adam in CLE

Has anyone sanded the bumpy finish off on the brake calipers? I am planning on using VHT spray paint vs powder coating. Is it worth the time to get a smooth finish? I appreciate the experience and opinions.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Going for the show car finish? Sure, grind away. If your Goblin is a driver - daily or track time - probably not. But hey, it's your build, do what you want. :cool: