Brake Ducts For Front Brakes

nicholas tiratsuyan

I was watching Formula 1 recently and I saw brake ducts on the front brake so I thought I would bake a new one. I modeled a test one to see if it would fit and it is currently printing.

Ferrari SF70H - Racecar Engineering

This is the bracket test to see if I can get the measurements correct. They will mount using the same holes and hardware used on the brake calipers.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Can you torque the bolts down just as fine even with the plastic in there?

I think that's neat, but brakes also get fairly hot, I wonder how quick it would warp?

95Blitz

Mount to the 2 bolts circled in red then you can cool the caliper also and you can make it bigger because it's over the A arm. Oh and might be able to still use PLA or PETG.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
...or simply punch a 3/4 inch or so sized hole in the 'back plate' aimed at the caliper to allow some air to blow onto them using the existing pieces already mounted. :) Minimal effort for better performance!

95Blitz

...or simply punch a 3/4 inch or so sized hole in the 'back plate' aimed at the caliper to allow some air to blow onto them using the existing pieces already mounted. :) Minimal effort for better performance!
Could if the duct was made of metal but that plastic won't hang out long attached to that caliper and may not last on that upright either.
This is just one of the things i'm looking at doing. I watch a lot of F1... ;)

JPas914

My two cents, using the bolts that 95Blitz circled, the rear wheel bearing bolts and the caliper pins, you could fab a metal frame and then make the scoop out of fiberglass or carbon fiber (maybe after getting everything worked out). It would funnel the air in to the caliper and rotor vanes a bit more effectively. And wouldn’t need to stick out much further than what’s prototyped already. But, like I said, that’s just my 2 pennies. I’ve thought about adding brake ducts myself, but I don’t have a need for them right now.

I watch a ton of F1, WEC endurance racing, IMSA, and sometimes Indycar as well.