Brake lights on in gear.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Does anyone know, if your brake pedal switch/sensor isn't calibrated, will the brake lights stay on any time you are in gear, forward or reverse? We have no brake lights when you press the pedal, but they are on any time you put it in gear. Turn signals work correctly. Driving lights work correctly. Back up lights work correctly. Parking brake switch is hooked up.

bramans

Working in this issue with mine. I think there is a short pithing the wiring harness I am using. Have you checked you're wires leading to the brake lights, and made sure any connections aren't destroyed? Ive found some connections I think could be the issue

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Thanks for putting se effort in here. I forgot about this thread. We figiird out the problem. The HHR brake pedal sensor is opposite that if the cobalts. Physically, it swings the other direction and the voltage on one is 0-5 and on the other is 5-0. I don't remember which is which. We used the cobalt pedal box, with the HHR brake pedal sensor. It was a tough one to figure out, but we did. Thanks again.

bramans

What are your symptoms?
Our lights are just on all of the time, we do not have any reception from pressing the brake. brake sensor has been changed already and we're down to having to redo the entire wiring harness which is the only option we can think of. We just keep getting power to the lights.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure I'd blame the harness mod yet, there are other easier tests. The BCM calls for brake lights for lots of weird reasons. It's been months since I've worked in this, so the memory (nightmare) is getting a little foggy. Is your third brake light hooked up? Do you have resistors in the system yet? If you have low power draw at the brake lights, the BCM will call for brake lights. Are you using a different pedal box than the one that came with the car? If the brake position sensor (BPS) isn't calibered correctly, it will throw brake lights. There are a few other items as well. Are all of your grounds making good ground? Does your car have a brake fluid level sensor? Is the reservoir full? If I remember correctly, the cruise control system is tied to brake lights as well although I don't remember the relationship. Do you have abbi-directional scanner?