Brake Powder Coating

KingChuck24

So I went today to drop off more things to get powder coated, including the brakes. We had to remove a bunch of rubber pieces from them and I broke two of them:

That rubber piece fits into the slot in the picture. I accidently puncture both of them on the outside of the ring, will they still work or do I need to order new ones? Also on the back side of the rear brake calipers the parking brake spring and plate lie over another rubber piece that we weren't able to remove so the brakes are not being powder coated right now. Did anyone find a way to remove those, I don't want to force anything yet and break something.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
The piece you punctured looks like the seals and are replaceable. The piece between the cable attach and the caliper is ok to leave in place. My powder coated was hesitant also but I asked Lonny and he said they haven’t had any issues with leaving those in place. The powder coated set the oven for 350 instead of his typical 400 and they look great. So far holding fluid with no leaks.

Esstover

So I’ve started disassembling my calipers and it’s not going well. I got new ones with my kit. Started with the back which has the setup for the E-brake. The video Lonny has for the cobalt ones show you can push out the cylinder from behind. These aren’t made that way. In an attempt to remove the pin that the e brake cable connects too I twisted off the stop pin, so that wasn’t good. I’ll attach some before and after pics. If anyone has taking these apart before please help.

Attachments

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I had mine powder coated and did NOT remove the e-brake actuator. Per Lonny, I told the powder coater the plastic inside would be ok. He baked it at a slightly lower temp, 360 I think, and all was good. They came out great.

Esstover

I had mine powder coated and did NOT remove the e-brake actuator. Per Lonny, I told the powder coater the plastic inside would be ok. He baked it at a slightly lower temp, 360 I think, and all was good. They came out great.
Do you have a photo of what you left together? I haven’t figure out how to remove the piston yet.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Do you have a photo of what you left together? I haven’t figure out how to remove the piston yet.
The piston does come out. It's been a while but I think I just pushed it out w/ air. Set the compressor to a lower psi, left the bleed valve closed, and it came out pretty easily.