Brake reservoir relocation

ManDan1957

I got the adapter for the master cylinder with the brass 90’s but how do I attach the hoses to the reservoir?

askiles

Goblin Guru
I got the adapter for the master cylinder with the brass 90’s but how do I attach the hoses to the reservoir?
I am not sure what the question really is here. The reservoir also has a machined aluminum piece that it sits into, then it has some brass 90's on it as well, and you hook it all together with some hose. Did you not get the brake reservoir remote mount maybe? I know at one point DF was waiting for a batch of them from the machine shop.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Well it is common for the threads to not be perfect, and have some resistance or friction when inserting.
Just clean up the shaving. I would take it apart, put some kind of thread sealant or thread lock in there, otherwise you may have a leak.

MJP61

Might be a stupid question, but why do we relocate the master cylinder fluid reservoir? Is there a clearance issue?

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Taken from Jeff's thread, I also went this route.

As with many others, I didn't like the hoses on the master brake cylinder going to the reservoir, so I had to upgrade... well I didn't have to... you all know how it goes. ;)
View attachment 13859
View attachment 13860
View attachment 13862
Sure, I ordered them from Summit Racing. The part numbers are as follows:

VPE-10251A from Vibrant
Fitting, Adapter, 90 Degree, Male -4 AN to Male 1/8 in. NPT, Aluminum, Black Anodized, Each
(Mfr. #: 10251A)

VPE-11351 from Vibrant
-4AN to 1/8"NPT Male Swivel 90 Degree Adapter Fitting
(Mfr. #: 11351)

RUS-659020 from Russell
Brake Line, Competition, Braided Stainless Steel, 18 in. Length, -4 AN Female, -4 AN Female, Each
(Mfr. #: 659020)

At first I thought the 18 inches lines were going to be too short, but they are perfect. The fittings on the reservoir will swivel, but you don't have to go that way if you can get the non-swivel pointed in the right direction.

MJP61

I assume everybody has the reservoir installed the same way, but I’ll ask my question anyway. Is it a problem that the reservoir hoses go upward towards the master cylinder?

25FF4858-1F8F-4B88-82C7-598E9B2C8520.jpeg

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Technically, everything should go always downward, but as long as the highest point (reservoir) is full, fluid will always be in the rest of the system. An air bubble can get trapped at the crest of the line, but a trick to that is to release and hold the reservoir up higher to straighten out the lines, which will move any air upward and out the top.

SwerveMonkey

... a trick to that is to release and hold the reservoir up higher to straighten out the lines, which will move any air upward and out the top.
THIS!! exactly what i did when I found that my clutch line naturally bent upward. ( before the footwell cover was added)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
There should be no sealers of any sort on brakes. Everything is brass washers, npt or flare sealed.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I use red Loctite to seal the brass elbows where they screw into the aluminum fittings.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I used the Permatex high temp thread sealant at the locations with NPT threads, and used adapters to convert to -4AN for the run from the remote reservoir to the master cylinder.

Dale E

Permatex Pneumatic/Hydraulic sealant US Part Number: 54540 . Amazon lists it at around 24$. I have that and used it on my Stalker brake fittings.
Unfortunately, it is a big bottle and probably enough to do a fleet o Goblins.

Dale

Last edited: