Brake rotor centering rings

dastrups

I ordered the full brake setup from Df including the parking brake option. I noticed that only the rear calipers came with centering rings. I called Adam and it sounds like this is correct but I can’t get the front rotors to mount evenly. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else have this problem?

Ross

Goblin Guru
You have a picture for us? I wonder if there are different brake calipers for the SS 5x110 hubs vs the standard 4x100 hubs, and maybe you have the wrong set.

dastrups

You have a picture for us? I wonder if there are different brake calipers for the SS 5x110 hubs vs the standard 4x100 hubs, and maybe you have the wrong set.
Mine are drilled to 5 x 114.3 by Df. I did have ARP extended wheel studs installed but I don’t think that would change anything, right? I place two lugs nuts on separate ends and tighten them down but the rotor is obviously not fully seated because it wobbles like it is not fully seated on one end. I’ve tried several times taking it off and on. Can’t seem to get it seated. My micrometer shows a diameter of 65.3mm at the widest point on the hub where it is supposed to seat and about 65.6mm on the rotor where it is supposed to seat so I am super confused.

Attachments

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The brake rotor center bore should fit relatively snug to the hub diameter with little to no radial play - if they are matched correctly. Some aftermarket bearing hubs have variations in the hub diameter and typically are not as precise with the finished machining as GM. Likewise the aftermarket brake rotors are usually machined with a slotted hole, such as you have, rather than a round hole - they do this so one brake rotor can work on multiple applications with different wheel bolt diameters.
Looking at your photos of the separate hubs and rotors makes it hard to see what gaps you are seeing. A photo with the rotor on the hub from a couple different angles may help.

dastrups

The brake rotor center bore should fit relatively snug to the hub diameter with little to no radial play - if they are matched correctly. Some aftermarket bearing hubs have variations in the hub diameter and typically are not as precise with the finished machining as GM. Likewise the aftermarket brake rotors are usually machined with a slotted hole, such as you have, rather than a round hole - they do this so one brake rotor can work on multiple applications with different wheel bolt diameters.
Looking at your photos of the separate hubs and rotors makes it hard to see what gaps you are seeing. A photo with the rotor on the hub from a couple different angles may help.
Looks like it won’t seat all the way. I will try pulling the hub off and messing with it. I may just need to have a machine shop make a tad more clearance on the rotor. Just tried the rears and they are spot on.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
In the second photo of your hub in post #3, there is a small bump in the diameter of the hub center and a radius where it meets the hub face. Look on the back of the brake rotor and see if the inner diameter corner is chamfered or square. If square it may keep the rotor from seating against the face of the hub. Also, check to see if the rotor inner diameter is just slightly (0.05ish) larger than the diameter of the small bump at the base of the hub diameter.

dastrups

Pulled off the hub and put it on a bench. Let gravity work with me and tried to shimmy the rotor until it sat over that slight bump. No luck. The back side is chamfered. I think it may just need a very minor amount of shaving. I will try taking it to a machine shop this week.

dastrups

Mine were extremely tight. I used washers and all 5 lug nuts to pull it on evenly.
Ya I measured it and my micrometer shows a diameter of 65.3mm at the widest point on the hub where it is supposed to seat and about 65.6mm on the rotor where it is supposed to seat so I’m sure it’s just close. Did you have to torque it on?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Try some emery cloth fine sand paper, give it a hand buff/polish, or maybe use an electric drill with polish compound/ fine sandpaper.
You don't have much material to remove... and it will probably be as precise, depending on the skill of someone who has to re-chuck the part in a lathe.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Ya I measured it and my micrometer shows a diameter of 65.3mm at the widest point on the hub where it is supposed to seat and about 65.6mm on the rotor where it is supposed to seat so I’m sure it’s just close. Did you have to torque it on?
Some but not a lot. Just make sure it’s going on straight.

2.0 Turbo

I ordered the full brake setup from Df including the parking brake option. I noticed that only the rear calipers came with centering rings. I called Adam and it sounds like this is correct but I can’t get the front rotors to mount evenly. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else have this problem?
Did you have the rotor bore machined to correct the issue?

Dale E

You may have to chamfer the inside of your rotor to fit over that extra little hub step. You can use a grinder to do that. You may also have to chamfer the stud holes because your pictures make it look like the new studs serrations are sticking through just a bit. Other wise a quarter inch spacer may work (I don't like spacers).

Dale