brand new gm crate ecotecs with turbo for $2100 shipped ???

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I bought exactly the same engine in January. It is on an engine stand waiting for my kit purchase and build to progress. It has not been run yet, but it sure looks good having everything clean and shiny.

Parson Green

Factory crate motor equals very tempting!

What are your plans wrt ecm and engine harness?

Ditto for other donor parts?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I purchased a 2008 SS/TC on Copart in March, was a rearend damaged car. I have it stripped out of the parts I need, have sold many of the good parts I did not need and the donor has been sent off to the scrapyard. The harnesses, ECM, brakes, fuel system and suspension parts from the donor are all being used for my build. The new motor (and trans) were a must for me personally, since I plan to keep this car for a long time.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Buy it through ZZP.

I’ll echo this. The ZZP LDK is no doubt, an LDK. Its a brand new European, factory GM long block. The price has actually dropped over the past two years because the demand wasnt as high as they had expected.

I’ll echo this. The ZZP LDK is no doubt, an LDK. Its a brand new European, factory GM long block. The price has actually dropped over the past two years because the demand wasnt as high as they had expected.
Is there anything I need to know about if I went the ZZP route? I was actually looking at a new LNF, but the ZZP is looking more appealing. I wasn’t sure if the computer and everything from my LNF would be direct fit to the LDK.

https://zzperformance.com/collections/ecotec/products/zzp-racing-short-block - This is what I was referring to. I am just confused because there is an option for LNF, but they responded and said it’s an LDK

Last edited:

Parson Green

Mixing/matching of power-train components can be the "road to perdition" if one is not both extra careful and extra savvy. Am now leaning towards a particular supercharged-engine donor because it would give me a wall-to-wall/all-factory-matched config.

Comments summarizing the pros/cons of SC vs TC Ecotecs would be appreciated.

Christopher Sanchez

Someone with more knowledge will surely chime in but the LDK is identical just improved (stronger) engine block casting is how I understand it.. if it comes with injectors then those also have a slightly higher flow.

Motoracer110

I just received that eBay motor as well and i am very pleased. You can tell right away the casting on the block is much better than the motor out of my donor. I read that the euro engines are a much better cast and stronger I can physically see that. Here is a photo of the old engine block you can see all the gaps in the metal

Here is a photo of the new eBay euro engine. A much better casting

Parson Green

I just received that eBay motor as well and i am very pleased. You can tell right away the casting on the block is much better than the motor out of my donor. I read that the euro engines are a much better cast and stronger I can physically see that. Here is a photo of the old engine block you can see all the gaps in the metal
View attachment 8516

Here is a photo of the new eBay euro engine. A much better casting
View attachment 8517
That auction looks 100% legit. A good motor at a great price and it looks like they're going fast.

Motoracer110

That auction looks 100% legit. A good motor at a great price and it looks like they're going fast.
It’s a great deal the turbo swap alone is about 1k and this comes with the new turbo. I talked to a shop owner who said GM closed a bunch of small car plants So these have flooded the market at a great price. Not sure how long these will last, but it happened at a good time for me. Here is my old engine number 1 cylinder

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Sand casting versus foam casting: please note this is from GM. The external appearance of a cast part does not affect the integrity of the part unless it is very thin - not the case with an engine block casting. The difference in strength between engine blocks will be derived from the casting thickness and structural webbing of the design.
A Design Study in Aluminum Castings - GM Cylinder Block
Green Sand versus Lost Foam
The traditional method of casting cylinder blocks is green sand casting, where the mold cavity is formed in sand with a wood or metal pattern and multiple sand cores to form the internal passages.
A comparison of green sand casting to lost foam casting shows a number of distinct advantages for lost foam.

Property

Green Sand Casting

Lost Foam Casting
Complex Internal Features and Part Consolidation.Complexity determined by sand core limitations -- geometry, strength, and cost. Extensive and complex internal features (as small as 0.20") available in lost foam, based on detail duplication and pattern assembly in foam.
Dimensional Tolerances+/- 0.030" is typical depending on part size, complexity, and geometry +/- 0.005"-0.010" is typical depending on part size, complexity, and geometry.
Surface Finish Capabilities250-600 microinches typical. Depends on grain fineness of sand. 60-250 microinches typical. Depends on bead size and ceramic coating grain fineness.
Feature AccuracyCore movement and shift between mold halves across the parting line limit feature accuracy. No cores or mold halves to shift and degrade feature accuracy.
Parting Line and Draft AnglesParting lines and draft angles are necessary for molding. No parting lines in the mold and minimal draft on tools.
Environmental CostsSand recovery requires binder removal and time consuming sand clean-upSand is binder free, so it can be easily and rapidly recovered at low cost.
Tool LifeWear on wood and metal tools from sand abrasion Low wear and long life with aluminum tool
Copyright 2004 by the American Foundry
Society All rights reserved.
Address comments to: [email protected]
Last Modified:August, 2004 by STG​
arrow_top.gif (1191 bytes)
Page 1

Amack1970

I bought my long block from zzp around Christmas time. It was on sale! Couldn't pass it up. I put my used motor on craigslist and made 750.00 on it. The zzp motor is phenomenal!

dastrups

I purchased a 2008 SS/TC on Copart in March, was a rearend damaged car. I have it stripped out of the parts I need, have sold many of the good parts I did not need and the donor has been sent off to the scrapyard. The harnesses, ECM, brakes, fuel system and suspension parts from the donor are all being used for my build. The new motor (and trans) were a must for me personally, since I plan to keep this car for a long time.
I was wanting to go with your same setup here. Would the ECM or PCM (not sure of the differences between these two or if they are one in the same) out of the 2008 have any problems with the LDK since it is originally an LNF motor?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The LDK and the LNF are essentially the same engine, with direct injection and a T3/T4 based turbo. The physical differences are subtle, a larger oil pan, slightly higher compression and non-sleeved block, but are interchangeable in application. I got an ATK sourced LNF for my crate motor, Anthony (AMACK) got a LDK from ZZP, both motors accept all of the Cobalt donor wiring and accessories. If you have the budget you can't go wrong with either version. :D

gofast

I too purchased a crate engine from ATK. I just assumed it was a LDK based upon different posts I've seen. I'll have to verify. The LDK has a non-sleeved block. GM tried non-sleeved blocks in the Vega and got poor engine longevity. Is this going to be a problem with the LDK?

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I too purchased a crate engine from ATK. I just assumed it was a LDK based upon different posts I've seen. I'll have to verify. The LDK has a non-sleeved block. GM tried non-sleeved blocks in the Vega and got poor engine longevity. Is this going to be a problem with the LDK?
The little fast & furious wannabe's have beaten on these SS cars pretty hard over the years and these engines seem to hold up well. Failure seems to be more from lack of maintenance. The LDK is supposedly an improvement over the previous generation LNF. Its actually found in many of the European GM cars.