Brett W’s City Goblin – 09 SS Donor #229 v2.0 - Registered

Goblinfanclub1234

I think that hood vents directly behind the radiator could add to front end downforce also, I might test this out some day

that aluminum front piece is looking great

Last edited:

Brett

Diggin those plaid seats!!
They are Corbeau RRX seats. They recline and I have the Corbeau sliders. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I can move them closer to the front so I can comfortably reach the pedals and recline back further than the non-reclining Corbeau seats which gives me more space between the steering wheel and my torso. Have tons of room behind the seats since I have an extended frame.

The plaid reminds me of the GTI patterns and is more fun than solid black. I like them.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
They are Corbeau RRX seats. They recline and I have the Corbeau sliders. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I can move them closer to the front so I can comfortably reach the pedals and recline back further than the non-reclining Corbeau seats which gives me more space between the steering wheel and my torso. Have tons of room behind the seats since I have an extended frame.

The plaid reminds me of the GTI patterns and is more fun than solid black. I like them.
Ill have to keep your combo in mind.
-

Brett

And the Hoods wrapped:

Items Left:
Paint the front splitter
Fix the highbeams (dont work, bad connection or bad relay somewhere)
Swap out map sensors and tune for more power
Check every bolt after all the driving at Goblin Fest
Grill
Front control arm bushings for rear LCAs (low priority)
Shifter feels loose (ebay shifter) need to see if I can remove some of the play in it.

Brett

Goblin spung a minor coolant leak. Turns out it was the drain plug on the bottom of the radiator leaking. Put a little Teflon tape on it and it is sealed up now. Not sure if that was the best product but it is what it is.

Also, got the grill installed and a new steering wheel since my old one kept beading black dye. Hopefully this one doesn't.

Blue Man

So, finally had some time to work on 2.0. Between 2 kids and all the family commitments, it has been extremely busy.

Got a solid 8 hours in on the Goblin and completed the following:

• installed floor panels
    • Used the 3m adhesive that is in the new video's. That crap is sticky and gets black stuff everywhere. Advice, let it dry then use a tool that is softer than the powder coat to remove, like a fingernail.
  • installed steering rack
  • installed steering rack limiters
    • I didn't have a "thin enough wrench" so I used a pipe wrench. Left some marks but they are under the boot so the next person to see them will be the person rebuilding the rack in 15 years.
  • installed power steering unit
    • out of all the parts that I had powder coated, I missed the bracket for this. Quick shot of matt black and it went on the car. Kind of buried in the dash so, no one will know. Unless you read this build log ;-)
  • installed collapsible steering column
    • had to use a spare bolt I had since I crushed the threads putting the bolt in. For some reason, I have lots of spares.
  • installed pedal box
  • installed gas pedal
    • little worried that I will have to do some sort of ecu calibration with this since it came from a parted out car on ebay.
  • installed clutch pedal
    • Had to bend the mount about a 1/4 inch for the pedal to clear the collapsible steering column.
  • ran hard brake lines
  • installed brake booster
    • chose not to paint it this time. Cleaned it up and it looked decent. Plus, it came from a random parts car on ebay and I do not know if it really works.
  • installed master cylinder
  • painted radiator
    • used a can of aerosol wax and grease remover to clean up the radiator and then painted it back with Eastwood radiator paint.
  • prepped fuel tank for install
    • new video clarified that I had installed the old pump incorrectly in my first build. Used a new pump and assembly went smoothly.
  • installed the fuel filler neck
    • How did I powder coat this part and not the power steering bracket?
Also, ordered the updated bell cranks for the shifter.

When I built 1.0, I installed the floor from the bottom. This time, I flipped the frame over and put the floor on. Definitely easier to do it this way. Then, my neighbors helped flip it back over. Fortunately, they had several people over at a baby shower and several need a 15 minute brake.

During the week, I hope to get the radiator lines ironed out, install the radiator, mount the fuel tank, and possibly install the engine.

Oh, in 1.0 I had used rubber horse stall matt for the floor of the car. All the pieces except for one made it home. Fortunately, I have enough scrap from the original build to make what I need.

I cannot speak highly enough of the new build videos. Clear, concise, short, and just the facts. Not that the older ones were bad, but the new ones are great.

View attachment 28318View attachment 28319View attachment 28320View attachment 28321View attachment 28322View attachment 28323View attachment 28324View attachment 28325
Was it hard to cut those mats up for the floor? I really like that idea. I have the same mats under my weight lifting equipment. Hard stuff to move, but soft and durable.

Would you recommend doing that?

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I just now chased down the mod to your new frame, Ross bars? as good a name as any and an elegant and functional addition IMO. I wish you and others from the North Houston crew could have made it to Galveston as it appears I won't be haunting the coast next Christmas. It coulda been cool, No Worries! Pleased to see your recovery continues. Keep on Dreamin' Y'all!

Metal Mech

Love you color scheme looks good. I am going with orange as well, not my choice cause I let my kid decided haha. Is your orange a nice bright orange? We originally wanted to go with Glow Orange, but found out that its not a UV stable color and didn't want to worry about fade. We ended up going with Orang Soda. As bright as we could find without ordering every single orange sample Prismatic has.

Brett

Was it hard to cut those mats up for the floor? I really like that idea. I have the same mats under my weight lifting equipment. Hard stuff to move, but soft and durable.

Would you recommend doing that?
I liked how the mats turned out. Really not that hard to do. Initially, tried to cut with utility knifes and such but then tried the cordless circular saw and that worked like a champ. Had a decent count tooth blade and just went nice and slow. Also, used a straight edge for a guide to keep the cuts nice and straight. Then, used a jig saw to massage any corners or minor cuts as needed. And cut them outside, it will smoke. Hope you like the smell of burnouts ;-)

Having done it twice, I would still do it again.

Note, if you are going for absolute weight savings, then the matts are kind of heavy.

Brett

I just now chased down the mod to your new frame, Ross bars? as good a name as any and an elegant and functional addition IMO. I wish you and others from the North Houston crew could have made it to Galveston as it appears I won't be haunting the coast next Christmas. It coulda been cool, No Worries! Pleased to see your recovery continues. Keep on Dreamin' Y'all!
Those bars are actually from the all-terrain kit that DF used to make. Do they add stiffness, sure. Are they necessary? According to my wife they are.

Brett

Love you color scheme looks good. I am going with orange as well, not my choice cause I let my kid decided haha. Is your orange a nice bright orange? We originally wanted to go with Glow Orange, but found out that its not a UV stable color and didn't want to worry about fade. We ended up going with Orang Soda. As bright as we could find without ordering every single orange sample Prismatic has.
Its a good solid orange with a little sparkle. Not to obnoxious but Definity looks good.

When selecting powder coating, I wanted to keep cost down so I found a color that worked for me that didn't require multiple coats.

These cars are not show cars, they are fun cars. Yes, you can make them pop and go all out but then it will become a garage queen and you will get aggravated at every scratch and piece of dust. Build it to go, not for show. Just know that they will go like a bat out of hell....

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I like your ethos on paint, cars get scratches(or worse!) in the real world. Easier to keep looking cared for and complete is all to the good! I saw your test drive, you showed excellent restraint(I cannot say I would have passed that test! I'm a lil crazy.), Bravo!, I'm sure that wasn't easy. Cheers to more testing to follow at an appropriate pace! As I always say:, "Rome wasn't Burned in a Day Ya'kno!, It Prolly took all weekend!"

Ross

Goblin Guru
You bought 2 DF shifters, because you couldn't make up your mind as to what color looks best?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Wow, I was just guessing... it was the only thing I could think of that DF sells in colors.
Although, the DF T shirts are available in any color the customer wants, as long as it’s black.