Brett W’s City Goblin – 09 SS Donor #229 v2.0 - Registered

Brett

Heat is a concern but I wanted to be able to rivet the floor the frame rails. The first build seemed a little "flimsy" in regards to the floor. If I ever do a 3.0 build, I will probably just weld in a floor.

I have fiberglass wrap to put around the tubes and separate the tubes from the other items in the center tunnel. If it is a massive failure, then I just made a way to keep my coffee warm (mount a cup older to the tunnel) but I will have to take up drinking coffee.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Got a lot done since the last update.

-Installed roof
-Front suspension in except for the shocks. Need to get the proper mounting hardware.
-Installed the front brakes.
-Installed Horn.
-Install coolant tubes in center console. Used 1" aluminum tubing from McMaster Carr and put beads on the ends to hold the hoses. Then anchored the tubes to the tunnel with 1" vinyl coated clamps.
-Installed the motor and subframe. Made this a family affair with the wife and kids and it went really well. Also got the subframe bolted down. Had to use some ratchet straps to move everything around a millimeter here and there to get it all to line up.
-Got the intake all setup.
-Hooked up the radiator.
-Fuel tank is in.
-Fuel line ran.
-Also have the passenger side rear suspension installed. Need to get some hardware to hook up the drivers side. Snapped a bolt that holds the hub on so I have to track down one of those.
-Steering system is also completed.
-battery installed
-rear view mirrors installed. Center mirror loosely installed. Will position once seats are installed.
-master cylinder and brake reservoir installed
-boost gauge installed

During the week, I hope to get the rear radiator lines connected, mount the heat exchanger, and work on electrical. I'm trying not to cram too much stuff in the front since I want to have space to install the brake proportioning valve.

View attachment 28544View attachment 28545View attachment 28546View attachment 28547View attachment 28548View attachment 28549View attachment 28550View attachment 28551View attachment 28552View attachment 28553View attachment 28554View attachment 28555View attachment 28556View attachment 28557View attachment 28558View attachment 28559View attachment 28560
The roof is beautiful!!!!
All the other stuff blah blah blah....

;)

Scott #321

Running the radiator lines through the center tunnel is a cool idea but I didn't see a heat exchanger up front so are you planning on a rear mounted heat exchanger?

Brett

Running the radiator lines through the center tunnel is a cool idea but I didn't see a heat exchanger up front so are you planning on a rear mounted heat exchanger?
Correct. I will be mounting the heat exchanger in the back behind the driver on the side. Originally, I was going to put it between the fuel tank and the frame but it is just a little to thick so it will get mounted a little higher up.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Could do what I did and weld tabs to the rails and use aluminum tread plate that bolts to the tabs. Maintain removability while remaining solid

Brett

Could do what I did and weld tabs to the rails and use aluminum tread plate that bolts to the tabs. Maintain removability while remaining solid
That's a great idea and one I wish I had seen / thought of.

Honestly, not sure if the juice was worth the squeeze with my solution but it's implemented so I'm moving forward.

jayrolls

Yeah that is interesting, I wonder how hot your tunnel is going to end up. I know my lower frame tubes can get pretty toasty.

Nuker-
Is he not talking about the heat exchanger lines? Because I know my pvc lines run on one side of the tunnel For ,y e
heat exchanger. Oh, now I get it. Lol

Ross

Goblin Guru
Looking good Brett. I might be able to help you with that bolt. Is it one of the 4 bolts that hold the hub to the DF upright?

Brett

Looking good Brett. I might be able to help you with that bolt. Is it one of the 4 bolts that hold the hub to the DF upright?
Thanks Ross!

If you have one, it is the bolt from the rear of the Goblin, so from the front of a cobalt. One of the 3 bolts that holds the hub to the Cobalt upright. If you have an extra, that would be awesome. That bolt is not longer available from GM so I was going to hit the junk yard and zip one out. It would save me the trip.

Brett

Quick Monday morning update.

Spent most of my weekend hanging out with the Houston crew and Ross. Went to autocross with them as a spectator and had a blast riding in their cars. I will say, Ross is a maniac on the course :) sliding across the finish line sideways.....

Got the necessary bolt from Ross (Thanks again!) for the rear hub and got the rest of the rear suspension put together with the exception of the lower control arms. Russel (Rotty) is pressing solid bushings into them for me and I should have those back sometime this week.

Otherwise not much to report other than getting the brake proportioning valve installed and the radiator lines completed.

Also, got some work in on the wiring harness. I went ahead and wrapped it in Tesa tape. Why, I don't know but, for now, it looks good. Also got it positioned in the frame and a bunch of the connectors in place.

This week, I hope to get my fuse box installed. I have to plasta-weld a tab to it that broke off but I don't think it will be an issue.

Once the harness is in, I can at least see if it still cranks. Then, rear firewall, shifter, parking brake, heat exchange, and seats. After that, suspension setup, body work, side panels, wing, aero, and who knows what else.

Brett

Brett

On this weeks episode of which way will the ratchet turn we make a bunch of updates.

-Suspension done, just needs to be adjusted
-got some 90 degree bends for the master cylinder adapter, now the lines are nice and low.
-brake proportioning valve is installed
-wiring is basically installed, need to tidy it up in the back of the car
-heat exchanger is mounted in the rear. I put rivnuts right in the holes on the heat exchanger and bolted it in with rubber coated clamps.
-got the group buy shifter installed. Still need to stiffen it up and put on the shifter socks I ordered from DF.
-installed the wang.
-got the seats in and verified I can still run the clutch.
-im sure I am missing a bunch of miscellaneous tinkering.

things I'm waiting on
-shifter socks
-spacer to stiffen up the side to side movement on the shifter
-different hose for the clutch line to reservoir

I know I could have been on the road by now but life keeps getting in the way. Hopefully I will get a first start in this weekend.

IMG_20211201_180257447.jpgIMG_20211116_213007367_HDR.jpgIMG_20211117_192630715_HDR.jpgIMG_20211128_154941369.jpgIMG_20211128_154949042.jpgIMG_20211128_154954690.jpgIMG_20211128_165626461.jpgIMG_20211128_195644696.jpgIMG_20211130_161338692.jpgIMG_20211130_161353738_HDR.jpgIMG_20211130_161407843.jpgIMG_20211130_161421074_HDR.jpg

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Any chance you could help me out? Since they took down the video on the front suspension I don't know what the torque specs on all these should be?

Brett

Any chance you could help me out? Since they took down the video on the front suspension I don't know what the torque specs on all these should be?
Check this post from Ross. He writes the torque spec's next to the bolts on his car. That should get you in the right direction.

Also, there is this list on the forum of torque values.