Brian N's A Very Stock Extended City Goblin - 09 SS/TC Donor OKC [*SOLD*]

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I changed my mind on starting a build thread. My plan is simple. To build the most stock Goblin possible. If you're looking for a hex turbo build with 750+ HP, climate control, and hydraulic suspension with a tow package, this thread isn't for you. :)

I started the project back in July when the grass was still green. Here's the donor before it went under the wrench.
Cobalt_1.jpg

It was involved in a front end collision. You can see the slightly crumpled cross member behind the hood latch.

Cobalt_Engine_1.jpg

I put about 700 miles on it before I started disassembly. 75 degrees in the middle of July in OK. Not bad. The average temp usually hovers around 350 degrees with 200% humidity.

Cobalt_Mileage_1.jpg

Here are the parts cleaned up and ready to go for the most part. I don't have the engine in a good area to get a picture of it. The only thing I did to it was cleaned it up and powder coated the valve cover red. Stock engine = not exciting anyways.
Cobalt_Parts_1.jpg

I haven't combined the harnesses yet.
Wiring_Harness_1.jpg

I picked up the Goblin frame this past Saturday. The color is Illusion Orange. The fluorescent lighting actually does a decent job in showing the contrast. Radiator hoses were pulled by Adam/Lonny before I picked it up. Yeah, I'm a cheater. :)
Goblin_Frame_1.jpg

I'm currently waiting for the sheet metal and fuel tank to get back from Line-X. I decided to go with a new spray technology called ultra on these pieces instead of a traditional powder coat. I think the texture looks better, but that's just me. Should end up costing around $450. Ouch!!

I will continue to update as the build progresses.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
You're hardly building the most stock goblin by starting with a SS/TC!

Looks good, take your time with the wiring and cleaning and it'll turn out great.

KJP

Looks like you have about the same goal as I do and you are a little ahead of me so I can bug you with TC questions!

RichRich

Awesome man, glad to see you making a thread. Frame looks great. I did the same thing on the cleaning up, wanted things to look good but wasn't interested in going overboard.

You're in Tucson right?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure how many hours I have at this point. Of the entire disassembly and prep, I do have the most hours in the wiring harness though. Still a long ways to go with it.

SliderR1

There is way too much drama for me on the show, but after seeing them race in person at Bristol, there is no doubt they are fast...

back to Brian's build...sorry to hijack.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Ran into a problem. Of all the Goblin builds, I think I am the first to have this problem which is how my luck goes. Anyways, the steering intermediate shaft interferes on the passengers side of the bulk head cut out. I can't turn it a full 360 degrees before it hits. It's hard to tell from the picture, but this is the area having issues.

It seems as if the rack shaft doesn't sit centered in the cut out, or it doesn't protrude far enough through the cut out to clear the area where the bolt goes through.

20180204_110735.jpg

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Ran into a problem. Of all the Goblin builds, I think I am the first to have this problem which is how my luck goes. Anyways, the steering intermediate shaft interferes on the passengers side of the bulk head cut out. I can't turn it a full 360 degrees before it hits. It's hard to tell from the picture, but this is the area having issues.

It seems as if the rack shaft doesn't sit centered in the cut out, or it doesn't protrude far enough through the cut out to clear the area where the bolt goes through.

View attachment 2739
That happened to me. 5 minutes with a half round file and good to go.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I've got 3 approximately 5/16" thick spacers in my BCM hardware bag. What are those used for? The video doesn't mention them.