Brian's City Goblin-06/Crate MotorTC #61

Peregrinus

I didn't read the entire thread, just curious if you're able to wire the stock boost gauge wires into one of the aux ports on the aim dash for boost? I don't know of any others off hand who used an aim dash. I'm getting one and wanted to know nif the wires can be used or if I need to get a different sensor for it to read correctly on it.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I didn't read the entire thread, just curious if you're able to wire the stock boost gauge wires into one of the aux ports on the aim dash for boost? I don't know of any others off hand who used an aim dash. I'm getting one and wanted to know nif the wires can be used or if I need to get a different sensor for it to read correctly on it.
I haven't resolved that one yet. As soon as I get this airbox done, I will re-explore it. I do plan to run it to an aux channel and see if a signal can be read, but thats about as far as I can go with it.

Peregrinus

I haven't resolved that one yet. As soon as I get this airbox done, I will re-explore it. I do plan to run it to an aux channel and see if a signal can be read, but thats about as far as I can go with it.
Okay, cool, I'll keep an eye out for updates, I should have my aim dash by spring to play around myself aswell, I couldn't tell what kind of signal Actually comes through the wires, I'd like to add oil pressure and boost to the aim Dash in the end. I was worried it was like a can signal like the gauge cluster and wouldn't be able to work like the aim dash needs

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Okay, cool, I'll keep an eye out for updates, I should have my aim dash by spring to play around myself aswell, I couldn't tell what kind of signal Actually comes through the wires, I'd like to add oil pressure and boost to the aim Dash in the end. I was worried it was like a can signal like the gauge cluster and wouldn't be able to work like the aim dash needs
I will be adding a VDO oil PSI transducer to mine as well.

Have you found the section on their website that discusses which CAN data it pulls from the Cobalt ECM?

If you have any issues, I’ve found their stateside tech reps to be pretty helpful. They have even forwarded questions I’ve had to the engineers in Italy and gotten back to me within a day or two.

Peregrinus

Have you found the section on their website that discusses which CAN data it pulls from the Cobalt ECM?

If you have any issues, I’ve found their stateside tech reps to be pretty helpful. They have even forwarded questions I’ve had to the engineers in Italy and gotten back to me within a day or two.
I did find it at one point, I think I bookmarked it. I was a little let down with the overall list, but it's still enough to get the job done, I was just glad it was mostly plug and play. Just gotta read up on how to get the blinkers and hazard lights and all that to work aswell. I think you use the warning lights on the dash spliced in inline essentially to grab the signal when they are used? It's been a minute since I've read on it.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I did find it at one point, I think I bookmarked it. I was a little let down with the overall list, but it's still enough to get the job done, I was just glad it was mostly plug and play. Just gotta read up on how to get the blinkers and hazard lights and all that to work aswell. I think you use the warning lights on the dash spliced in inline essentially to grab the signal when they are used? It's been a minute since I've read on it.
I dont quite remember but I think I tapped into most of the actual lighting wires to get the dash indications. The AIM is pretty easy to program.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Built access cover. Got all but the filter plate structure welded. Took some complex jigging to keep everything square. Everything is flush & fits perfectly. Waiting on foam insulation, reflective coating and filter to arrive next week, so not much more I can do.

4CC5EC2A-508F-4E0A-9E41-28BBF33EECEF.jpeg
A061392A-0BD2-4CAD-9DF3-8C31839FCE7D.jpeg
B9D205C9-660F-46FC-BD33-924B7A6F9112.jpeg
7D5583AA-F1DD-4FCB-85E4-DFC7F2E17A3D.jpeg
09E764FC-71E8-4FF4-A58E-69E887EE6E98.jpeg
D55596DF-E457-4E83-95C8-DCA192815D78.jpeg
DA41C91E-7021-48DC-BB44-BF5CD3FC274C.jpeg
F38CCF6C-F0D7-487D-84AA-669B5C2AD0DB.jpeg
B4B50B4C-DAD5-4E54-A387-C3EA6A395CB0.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
So there are two MAP pressures available through the CAN data to the AIM. Likely should be able to get boost data off the MAP2?

ED87F200-03C6-49FB-ACD5-33F9B5784EDD.png

Peregrinus

Should be, map #2 is post sc I believe right? After I sell my spare goblin harness I have modified, I'll be able to pick up the aim dash and play around aswell.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Worked on the airbox mounts today. Added two lower mounts to connect to the upper fuel tank mount crossmember. Spent two hours staring at everything trying to decide the remaining mount hardware.

Will probably weld in 3” lower support plate as well, and a small top bracket off of the cowling bracket. All of the mounts will be isolated by 1/8” neoprene rubber.

This spool gun is giving me fits; its just not good for detail work as the amount of heat that is required for welding aluminum. I’ve ordered some aluminum epoxy to clean things up a little.

79BC5301-4764-4FD2-8AD9-7246D17FF51B.jpeg
45B74680-0901-441B-A088-CE60A627D723.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Should be, map #2 is post sc I believe right? After I sell my spare goblin harness I have modified, I'll be able to pick up the aim dash and play around aswell.
I wanted to drag both laptops (one AIM and one ECM OBD spoof data) out into the garage tomorrow and finish up on my electrical harness to do list and testing, but this **** cold air box fabrication is taking much longer than thought it would.

I’ve got at least three large connectors to build and some CAN data termination issues & conflicts to resolve, but once I get that situated, I should have a full electrical mockup and I’ll be able get a better idea & confirmation of the AIM data. The last testing I did was on a bench without the engine harness hooked up.

Goblin Graber

How are you prepping your aluminum before welding? It sure looks like there is still a layer of oxidation in those last couple pics where you say your spool gun was giving you fits.

Peregrinus

How are you prepping your aluminum before welding? It sure looks like there is still a layer of oxidation in those last couple pics where you say your spool gun was giving you fits.
What he said, dirty surface could easily cause issues.

I wanted to drag both laptops (one AIM and one ECM OBD spoof data) out into the garage tomorrow and finish up on my electrical harness to do list and testing, but this **** cold air box fabrication is taking much longer than thought it would.

I’ve got at least three large connectors to build and some CAN data termination issues & conflicts to resolve, but once I get that situated, I should have a full electrical mockup and I’ll be able get a better idea & confirmation of the AIM data. The last testing I did was on a bench without the engine harness hooked up.
Looking forward to your findings! And no doubt Fabrication is definitely a painstaking process sometimes! But it's so fulfilling when you're done.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Scrubbing the absolute hell out of it with a dedicated stainless brush and then wiping down with alcohol. Even practicing on dirty, completely unprepped metal it makes absolutely no difference. Its totally hit or miss with this thing. It seems to work fine as long as its a long run and the metal is nice & hot but for short joint runs I have to set the amperage to the edge of burning through the metal which is not worth risking destroying a project. This is obviously why most people use TIG or adhesives for smaller stuff like this.

Last edited:

Goblin Graber

I’ve never even held a spool gun, but what you’re saying makes sense. You really have to lay into a tig pedal to get a good pool started. Well it’s at least put together now. When you tear the car apart to paint it fire up that new Alpha Tig.