Brian's City Goblin-06/Crate MotorTC #61

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Brian, sorry to bring up such an old post. Did you remove the intake manifold to install the plug in the PCV port for the Powell system? Did you have to do any drilling to tap the port for the plug? By chance any photos of this? Thanks!
Yes I did. I did everything per Powell’s instructions. I will dig up some old photos.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Thanks, appreciate it if you still have some pics to share. Now that we live a 1/2 hour closer, since I'm now in Queen Creek, need to fulfill that commitment to make a trip to Marana to see how you are progressing with your build. I keep posting to my build log now that I have the time and space to restart my build in earnest, but I'm sure that you wouldn't turn down the opportunity to see what I have done and am in the process of fabricating and modifying. ;)

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Thanks, appreciate it if you still have some pics to share. Now that we live a 1/2 hour closer, since I'm now in Queen Creek, need to fulfill that commitment to make a trip to Marana to see how you are progressing with your build. I keep posting to my build log now that I have the time and space to restart my build in earnest, but I'm sure that you wouldn't turn down the opportunity to see what I have done and am in the process of fabricating and modifying. ;)
Lol, my build has been going horrifically slow, lol. Ever since I started this business (that I do not advertise), I have had steady customer business, as well as a couple major production projects I’m the middle of. I’m heavily into the R&D and acquisition phase right now. A day doesn’t go by where I don’t develop or learn some new printing or CAD techniques. I may even be profitable by next year.

Its rough working 50 hour weeks at my full time job, then coming home and working evenings and then 12 hour days on weekends... but I love what I do. I really do wanna get the Goblin going as it would be a huge source of advertising for me. Come fall when it cools off I will get back in the garage.

Here are the pics I do have of the drill/tap I did on the manifold. I basically followed the directions Powell sent out with the kit.

203354EE-B824-438F-9E76-399CBA208696.jpeg
35776112-38AB-4D10-ADEF-D7B54EA41EDB.jpeg
FB548ECC-F9A5-41DE-B122-31904F044A20.jpeg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Thanks Brian. Am I seeing this correctly the rear valve cover and the PCV port on the intake manifold are both tied together (using different ports) at the oil separator/catch can? I would think it would make difference between the front and back sides of the system as they operate differently over the engine rpm/boost/vacuum range - but someone at Powell had to do some testing to be certain this was not a problem. Looks good. :D

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Thanks Brian. Am I seeing this correctly the rear valve cover and the PCV port on the intake manifold are both tied together (using different ports) at the oil separator/catch can? I would think it would make difference between the front and back sides of the system as they operate differently over the engine rpm/boost/vacuum range - but someone at Powell had to do some testing to be certain this was not a problem. Looks good. :D
Here is the Powell documentation, if you don’t already have it.

Attachments

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Still here… lol. I am working through some ideas for the Goblin for fall when I attack my build again. I ended up cancelling the order for the industrial printer. They kept delaying delivery, and I later found out it is made in the Ukraine. I would rather see how it does after its been well fielded before parting with my $10k.

I have been doing research and decided that I will just build the rest of my printers myself (ratrig/diycore), all enclosed with similar design and capability. I plan on a high volume (500mm bed) printer, and a few 400mm bed printers. One of the 400mm printers will have a 4 tool changer toolhead for prototyping multiple material prints, and one will be heated in the case that I need to do high temperature materials. Regardless, I will have 3 high precision printers capable of dedicating to simultaneous short run production.

I ended up changing the order for the industrial printer to a 3D laser scanner. This will allow me to start reverse engineering, as I’ve had numerous instances where that is a requirement.

I already have plans to rework the intake and MAF sensor tube system design on the Goblin using Carbon fiber nylon, as well as numerous mounts and brackets. The large format printer will also allow me to print the lower airfoils of my front spoiler from ASA. This of course when I’m not doing customer work as I’ve been a bit busy with that, and I only expect to get busier.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
3D Scanner came in. Played around with it all day. I pushed it to its limits on random small-part high definition organic curvature shapes with various reflectivity well below its rated parameters using only base plane reference points; just to see what it was capable of.

Once I get good at mesh and texture conversion/editing in CAD, this will be super useful. This particular scanner uses blue laser and is rated at a .04mm resolution at 300mm or greater for imaging. I could literally scan anything on the Goblin now in short time and nearly perfect accuracy.

B068A510-C587-44C3-9FAE-8329B01201BC.jpeg

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I’ve been on a long vacation, but I have had more time to play with the 3D scanner in the meantime. It scans really well; the hardest part is properly applying the mesh conversion/post processing and organizing the data in CAD, as each scan has different requirements. I just recently took on a customer job reproducing an old formula firebird spoiler that I later 3D printed in ASA.

I wish I had this thing back when I started my build, as it would have made many of the parts I’ve already built a lot easier to manufacture.

Since summer is finally winding down, I am getting anxious to head back into the garage and get back on my build.

DE900AEA-66EC-4CEB-B4AD-34651A54E527.jpeg
E470C809-FC3F-438F-8AC6-785E547369F9.jpeg
1A486C4C-FEE4-4107-9001-71F74F4FF610.jpeg
DA8C2F6F-91A2-49BD-B8D7-C1C9AA3671D5.png
FE643019-7564-4ADE-8A86-5C983DE04041.jpeg
8A566BE1-169F-411F-AC40-352B391D2B66.jpeg
8DB46096-16E2-4632-A4B4-F3ABBD072811.png

Brian74

Goblin Guru
This week I ordered 3 500x500 bed Ratrig printer kits from the UK. I like the Ratrig’s kinematic bed design; especially for a bed of that size. Bed expansion is unconstricted which is important on such a large surface with numerous heat expansion cycles. There also exists the capability for non-planar/off planar FDM if and when that technology ever evolves

I ordered full custom 6mm polycarbonate enclosures from a company in California; he also added 120mm fume vent fittings for my upcoming vent system design.

I ordered 9 slice engineering mosquito hotends; 3 for each printer with quick change tool heads to facilitate quick nozzle changes to easily swap jobs or nozzle sizes.

I will be running (reprap) Duet boards; primarily because I like their ecosystem & support and I’m not a fan of the other (Chinese) offerings. I will be running a CAN bus slave board on each extruder to minimize wiring and allow tooling hot swaps with instantaneous gcode calibration per toolset, as well accelerometers to utilize motion smoothing, which dampens resonant frequency oscillations at the print nozzle. This setup will also provide the capability to transfer to an automated toolchanger setup later on; should I deem it an advantage.

Having these 3 printers built will be milepost one for my business as it will finally provide me with efficient short run manufacturing FDM capability, in conjunction with 3-D HD laser scanning ability.

My business model is entirely customer resource-based; meaning if you have an idea, I will work with you on the design, and build it, and then let you take it from there.

Initial project ideas on the Goblin side are modular 3rd brake/dome lights, discrete seat/ground/floorboard light kits, and a fully enclosed air box. I’m certainly welcome to hear more ideas. I print any materials up to 300 degrees C, which includes ASA, ABS, polycarbonate, copolyesters, nylon, and all carbon fiber infused options.

Only caveat right now is I still work full time so I am limited to evenings and weekends; I generally still work about 80 hrs a week between both jobs, lol.

I’m currently CAD designing the toolhead layout for my hot-end extruders. Its a bIt of a challenge as I have to incorporate these quick-change toolheads into the design. I hope to have them finalized in the next couple of weeks so I can have them built up as soon as my extruders and hotends arrive.

8EB71C0E-9A26-44C8-9C43-10D2315C99FA.jpeg
2E349409-716D-49FF-9F9C-8F61BB76C4ED.jpeg
2C9DC7CB-1AA4-49D9-9128-45DDB88ADC0B.jpeg

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I’m slightly closer to printing huge Goblin parts. My 3 500mm printer kits have arrived. My toolhead design is nearly done. Yesterday I wired in 3 separate dedicated 20A breakers to my print room to run each printer.

Its been kinda crazy because my business is picking up and I’m busy trying to get orders manufactured in the middle of it all.

2F6FFCD8-E2B6-4627-9E16-E9C42D06ECFC.jpeg
F64C1FDF-0FF0-49F5-AA8C-F3EB0FEEFC3C.jpeg
1952B051-DB1A-4A44-866E-6F192BA00322.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Wondering how you will squeeze all that equipment into your 'office' - it's going to be tight. :D Can't wait to see some the final products!
It will fit. Its definitely gonna be tight.
My wife actually wanted to sell the sectional couch and TV and just move everything into the living room. I almost took her up on that.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
In the middle of building printer frame #1. Its about as big as a washing machine. I’m on the 5th frame rebuild as I am trying to pick up technique and identify deficiencies in the hardware. The more square the initial build is, the less hassle it will be to calibrate later on. I hope to have the frame within overall .05mm tolerance, which is about the best tolerance that can be had with T-Slot extrusion.

I’ve upgraded numerous components to machined aluminum and I will fully design the g-code.

It will be nice when I can start printing some large Goblin parts.

8AA9B311-FCC6-43E7-A7EF-1E60BE299774.jpeg
CBB8444B-4E5A-441F-B412-EB8150DE2810.jpeg
90C86696-550C-41ED-A2F5-91BDFA0D8094.jpeg
F8E51165-313A-430A-BBA3-15CDABA001FE.jpeg