Brian's City Goblin-06/Crate MotorTC #61

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I haven't put my down payment on stage 1 yet, but I read the post rules and consider myself vetted as I am obsessed with this project and finally picking my donor up tomorrow.

I got hooked on the idea of this project 4 months ago in May of 2017. I originally planned on building a j35 Miata, then an Exocet, but to get the same power from an Exocet requires a lot more money, fabrication and planning. This kit makes much more sense. I have seen every DF Goblin video, DF Grassroots post, and read nearly every Cobalt SS forum post since then.

For my donor, I decided to go with....wait. I haven't decided yet. I am picking up donor # 1, a part out G85 2006 LSJ tomorrow ($300). Owner has already sold the wheels, hubs, intake, blower, and intercooler. Engine has a bad rod knock, according to him.

I originally paid the $250 for an IAAI membership and have since passed up the 2 lowest mile LNF Cobalts I have ever seen, sold here locally. In hindsight, I didn't realize how much these cars seem to be worth. Could have had a 2009 with 82k for just under 4k.

I am driving 120 miles tomorrow to pick up my hub/wheel-less donor. I have devised a creative plan to get it on and off of my trailer.

I do not like the LSJ motor. Why? For a Goblin build, 300 hp is more than enough. LSJ motors and motor parts are hard to find and expensive to modify. Most of the ones available are trashed. Aftermarket support for them is getting minimal to nil now. Turboing one is expensive. Building one to 300 hp without E85 is expensive. No VVT. I live in Az. Heatsoak destroys S/C engines. Tuning is expensive.

I do like the LNF motor. Why? 260 hp from the factory on 91 octane. Twin scroll turbo. Huge availability; used in several cars. I can get an LNF long block with turbo with no tuning required. PCM controls the boost. Low end tq is amazing due to VVT. Direct injection. A simple PCM canned tune can get me nearly 300 hp.

My research suggests that the F35 from an LSJ Cobalt is compatible with a 2008-2010 Cobalt, aside from VSS calibration. The LSJ F35 also uses the smaller axles and can utilize the 4 lug hubs.

What does this mean to me? Strip this car and find a parted out LNF Cobalt and grab only the wiring harness, PCM, fuel pieces, and gauge cluster (parts that nobody else wants before the car gets crushed). Buy an LDK long block, complete with turbo from ZZP for not much more than the cost of a new TVS. Purchase a SAAB intake manifold and a throttle body. Have an un-modded 260 hp hybrid donor that I can run with more rim choices.

Or

Keep my current donor engine and spend nearly the same or more to make less power.

Either way, its on and I'm excited.

Last edited:

Balphamore

Yeap I have to agree. Looks like you had a interesting time getting that on the trailer. If osha happened to peek in. Think they would be pulling their hair out lol.. Looks like the fun part begins.

Johvans

I did the same thing when I got rid of my shell... o_O

It worked and was more stable than I would've thought! :D

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Nice. That's exactly what I used too. Right down to the Deere compact utility and a brush hog as a counter weight. :) That looks like a 2 or 3 family. I'm surprised it could lift it.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Nice. That's exactly what I used too. Right down to the Deere compact utility and a brush hog as a counter weight. :) That looks like a 2 or 3 family. I'm surprised it could lift it.
4200 HST. Scrappy little bastard it is! Lifting wasn't a problem but lifting it over the rails on the side of the trailer and placing it without destroying the rails was a bit of fun.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Yeap I have to agree. Looks like you had a interesting time getting that on the trailer. If osha happened to peek in. Think they would be pulling their hair out lol.. Looks like the fun part begins.
It wasn't too bad at all. I used a $37 2 ton hand winch from Harbor Freight that kept the car in place going on and coming off. The rest was just slight trailer angle and jack adjustments. I was probably being way more careful than I needed to be.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Down payment has been made on stage 1. I will be going with a brand new LDK long block and turbo. I am not gonna go crazy with this engine. I will be running all stock components with an efficient tune that should get me around 280 hp as a reliable daily driver. I'm hoping I can find a decent paper filter that will fit, possibly a UMP setup because I hate K&N and all that other cotton/gauze crap, especially when it comes to running turbo'ed. Its too dusty out here.

I still need to find an HHR or Cobalt PCM and will probably just buy a brand new engine harness since they are hard to find used. I have reviewed all of the wiring diagrams and I will be able to use all of my 2006 body wiring harnesses with a few pin changes. I could also use my 2006 power dist block with a few pin swaps. Not sure about the BCM, but if I disable VATS I think that may be possible too. My next step will be to thin the harness, but I am going to do mine using wiring diagrams as I would like to retain some switchable BCM circuits for future options. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and purchase hptuners to alleviate tuning and PCM option headaches down the road. It would be nice to be able to adjust the boost curves, especially for 1st gear.

SliderR1

another option to consider, since you mentioned a new engine harness ($$), is a new standalone efi controller system from a 3rd party supplier. I've not really researched what is out there for these ecotec engines, but there are some pretty trick systems out there for Chevy LS engines that are supposedly really easy to tune with. From what I've read on HP Tuners, the LNF ECM can be a bear to tune. Check this post out https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?31052-Thoughts-on-Tuning-and-the-LNF

Brian74

Goblin Guru
From what I can tell after more reading, VATS cannot be disabled on the E69 PCM. I went to LKQ and picked up a VIN matching PCM and BCM from an HHR SS for $100. This should allow me to do a key relearn and keep the VATS. I plan to start with the factory tune so I can complete the engine break-in and test everything.

HP tuners has come a pretty long way with the Bosch ECM over the years. Like I said earlier, I am not looking to do much over the factory tune. This car will be more than enough just shy of 300 hp.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
BCM and PCM arrived today. They are both off the same 2009 Cobalt SS, which I am hoping will make things easier.

IMG_2530.JPG

I just ordered a brand engine wiring harness. I plan to pull the fuse/relay box & body harness from my 2006 donor and start the entire wiring mockup this weekend. Its still a bit hot to work out in the garage, so most of this part can all be done indoors.

I will fully label all the connectors ahead of time (using the factory connector diagrams) to aid in simplicity. I will order my new crate engine at the end of this month.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
My new factory engine harness has arrived (looks great) and I just ordered my LDK crate engine from ZZP. Since I am using the 2006 body harness, I will have to build the Bosch ECM X2 58 pin connector using the existing 2006 body wiring. Per the wiring diagrams, it shouldn't be too tough as much of it matches up. If the stupid weather here ever drops below 95 degrees I will get out in the garage and strip my donor.
IMG_2559.JPG
IMG_2565.JPG
IMG_2561.JPG

Brian74

Goblin Guru
17560452-F5F4-49E3-8475-6C6F75591B84.jpeg
My LDK block came in last week. Haven’t done much because I haven’t had a day off due to work, nor money due to saving up for annual property taxes. I spent all weekend last weekend reorganizing my garage for this project. I’ll probably strip my donor this weekend. I plan to pick up stage 1 next month if it is ready. My first step will be getting seat rails and other weld-on parts, and then powdercoat. I’ll begin building the body harness in my spare time. Its hard to stay focused because I havent been out in the sandrail in a while and the weather is perfect. I love this project because there’s always something to look forward to.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Yanked the engine & trans out of the donor this afternoon. Will get the engine up on a stand to see whats salvageable & then perhaps sell it.
47F6D27F-F9FD-48C7-90D9-A6AF28269521.jpeg
E93BB1C2-43D4-4F1E-B31A-334BE7006D12.jpeg
9207DCF0-9565-42F0-8388-360781332BDE.jpeg
56E6CA18-0AF8-42AF-8A28-E9304A053F51.jpeg
D8B2E8DF-050F-47A7-BE62-B179BBD0723A.jpeg
3C0865AE-DDC1-4DAF-9A5F-A956CC375E9E.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
How many miles on the engine? Looks like a good unit. Great looking subframe.
Not sure the mileage; I think in the 90k’s. Prior owner says the engine (S/C) had a knock. I will tear down the engine bottom end to see if it is salvageable to resell but I already bought a new LDK turbo crate engine for my project. I mainly bought the car for the LSD trans, steering, body wiring and other donor parts.

Balphamore

Cute how the Lil one is doing the strong arm. Like it was all done by the Lil one. Getting her hooked early on kit cars? :)