Brian's City Goblin-06/Crate MotorTC #61

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Is that an oil cooler in the last pic? Can you share which one you went with?
Did you do any other mods related to cooling?

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Is that an oil cooler in the last pic? Can you share which one you went with?
Did you do any other mods related to cooling?
That is a Derale 65860 liquid cooler with a 500 CFM fan. I plan to use that as my liquid cooler from the L to A cooler. Had to move the fuel tank over slightly to fit it.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Pics don’t show much, but cooling fan, intercooler fan, tail lights, CHMSL, all wired in with factory GM connectors. Almost done. I designed the lighting harness with a modular concept, so it can easily be removed later on for maintenance if needed. The harness wrap will look exactly like a GM factory install.

I will have this thing close to turn key under mock up. It was an ass pain, but the nice part is that once the frame is powder coated, all I will have to do is put it back together.

Still brainstorming headlights. I am debating on going with a modern factory assembly of some type with some custom fabrication added. I’m really getting to where I wanna push the design envelope at every subtle opportunity, lol.

AA25B2BB-E3FA-4DC8-9871-4000FC7D40EB.jpeg
E50EC7A4-80D1-4849-8145-52BFA7AFED05.jpeg
86C771B0-0291-400B-A6C3-3F0ECFF107F5.jpeg
588F12DF-AB97-4433-8A62-9F71743E84D3.jpeg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
This is the essence of this kit. For each to make it their own and do it their own way. And this is a great example of that. I love the very custom wiring. Not something that you see often nor is actually talked about. Great job!

Brian74

Goblin Guru
This is the essence of this kit. For each to make it their own and do it their own way. And this is a great example of that. I love the very custom wiring. Not something that you see often nor is actually talked about. Great job!
This car has taken every bit of automotive skill I gained growing up over 8 years working in shops under some very skilled mentors, added a few new skills, and given me an unrealized amount of passion & motivation. Its the most challenging project I’ve ever partaken and the benchmark for everything in life I am excited about. It makes my day job seem easy, lol.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Not much to talk about right now. Still have to add the fuel pump connector (btw, if anyone needs the proper part # for the LNF one, I have it). Its still hot out, but mostly drained this weekend because work has been super busy this last week as I'm now filling in for people who just went out sick due to this covid bullshit and social distancing at home from my wife who is high risk.

I picked out my headlights and will probably order them today. I'm also going to start looking at wheels & tires.

I talked my neighbor into installing a factory fuel injected 5.0 in his 78 Cobra. We found a builder block today and will go pick it up. Any Ford nuts in here? May need some advice on this build in regards to heads & internals. It sounds like he has a fair budget and he will make awesome track & car show company later on once we both finish our builds.

641243A0-D1A8-4891-9485-2B4E6B1E3019.jpeg

Last edited:

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Harness is in! Made all the forward connections and routed the harness. Still need to find a fuel pump connector and run the lighting wiring. Hope to hook up the battery by Saturday.

All downhill now and my brain can finally rest from all of the craziness this past month.

View attachment 15261View attachment 15263View attachment 15264View attachment 15265View attachment 15266
That is so PRECIOUS your daughter helping you with the build. I am so happy you get the opportunity to share this with each other

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Not much to talk about right now. Still have to add the fuel pump connector (btw, if anyone needs the proper part # for the LNF one, I have it). Its still hot out, but mostly drained this weekend because work has been super busy this last week as I'm now filling in for people who just went out sick due to this covid bullshit and social distancing at home from my wife who is high risk.

I picked out my headlights and will probably order them today. I'm also going to start looking at wheels & tires.

I talked my neighbor into installing a factory fuel injected 5.0 in his 78 Cobra. We found a builder block today and will go pick it up. Any Ford nuts in here? May need some advice on this build in regards to heads & internals. It sounds like he has a fair budget and he will make awesome track & car show company later on once we both finish our builds.

View attachment 15572
Brian, yes it is hot in AZ and we don't get many working hours in during the mornings before we get chased out of the garage when the temps get past 100. o_O
Good to see you got the correct connector to get the fuel pump fixed, hopefully it will work.
Any ideas on which wheel/tire combination you are leaning toward?
Stay cool and do a rain dance, we need it desperately! :D

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Brian, yes it is hot in AZ and we don't get many working hours in during the mornings before we get chased out of the garage when the temps get past 100. o_O
Good to see you got the correct connector to get the fuel pump fixed, hopefully it will work.
Any ideas on which wheel/tire combination you are leaning toward?
Stay cool and do a rain dance, we need it desperately! :D
I'm still not sure on the wheels & tires. I've revisited that one a few times now. Tires? sticky ones! I'm going with a 4x100 bolt pattern and so far I like the Enkies & Konigs.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
put an LS in it. :D

Brian74

Goblin Guru
****, finally a cool day out. I stripped the harness and components from my dash, and went to work on fitting it to the car. I had to trim in a few areas but got everything positioned well.

I measured & cut the mounts.

I was skeptical about the dash position interfering with the shifter, so I hooked up the linkage. After trimming about 1/2" off the long shift rod, I was able to obtain plenty of clearance. I think due to the new lower shift ball position, it may even have reduced the throw slightly. Donor already came with a short throw shifter.

Will tack & weld the dash mounts next.

E4A5DDD3-6DBD-4A30-A5C5-04DB4DE5A1C2.jpeg
018AFCB2-25A5-46EA-B161-C0E719FC2B9C.jpeg
44E74FAF-3A69-41EB-A8E0-2D76F076468F.jpeg
68986D89-3E2B-4208-84C5-BD5F1D5836EA.jpeg
35DE183B-00B8-45F8-B7C0-CE27EA84E399.jpeg
D9925F40-CE75-4210-BE9A-1BE26A709415.jpeg
3E46B31B-378F-4A50-9D67-59826BF66874.jpeg
22F6072D-6871-42E3-A9E9-7B2DD0735349.jpeg
D8F2BA6B-1A73-446E-8CF9-F0463B883786.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I have run into so many potential design issues with this build, causing me great worry, to only later find out it was a non-issue. I hope it stays that way, lol. Very few worries left.