Brian's City Goblin-06/Crate MotorTC #61

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
SWEEEET! Looks fantastic and see that you are using that expensive CADBoard to get everything fabbed up. The lower part of the dash looks close in the photo, but it is probably only the camera angle. And yes, it has been nice to be only 99 degrees. I put in a full 10 hours of work in on Saturday. :D Hopefully I can make it down your way soon to see this in person.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Finished the mount brackets today and made some gussets as well. I'm also adding some small tabs at the dash mount bracket in order to provide more load bearing to the bracket & offload some of the sideload weight on the studs.

A little trick I figured out for tabs:

Use a sanding drum the the same diameter of the roll cage tubing to prep the tab's joint. this allows nice, flush fitting of the tab with no gaps, and you can angle the drum as needed to get a perfect fit at various install angles on the roll cage.

720D72D1-D756-4AAA-BF5B-15062E95E7C3.jpeg
E036AAE9-595A-4138-8E2D-376857826E85.jpeg
5953812E-B0C3-4E65-AF42-182E5ED6A0CA.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
SWEEEET! Looks fantastic and see that you are using that expensive CADBoard to get everything fabbed up. The lower part of the dash looks close in the photo, but it is probably only the camera angle. And yes, it has been nice to be only 99 degrees. I put in a full 10 hours of work in on Saturday. :D Hopefully I can make it down your way soon to see this in person.
Cardboard is wonderful. Sometimes I even break out the modeling clay.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I took the day off and grabbed a couple of my fabricated parts. I took my dash to a vinyl wrap shop and asked them how easy the wrap would be. They were fully confident that the shape of my dash would be no issue at all, giving me the confidence to possibly attempt it myself. I also got the info I'll need to provide for the cowling wraps.

I also stopped by the powder coat shop. He has two colors that I am thinking of going with in stock. I really like the dark silver metallic, and he had a newly finished piece for me to see.

I also have a few tiny cosmetic issues to fix on my dome light, which he said brazing would work. I guess I will be learning how to braze now, lol.

The only issue with the powdercoat is the turn around time is currently 2 months. Too bad I couldn't get the frame to him 2 or 3 months ago when the weather sucked.

I may be delayed on the dash because I think I will be adding an adjustable power steering module. of course this will require another hole in the dash to mount the potentiometer, lol.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
****. My powder coat guy was only a week or so out, on turn around time
I guess its pretty popular here. There are only two well-known shops in town. The other shop does more volume, but the owner is a reputed ******* and I even verified that with a phone call.

I have one rule when doing business with people.

Would I ever consider working for the owner? If yes, then I do business.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I know what you mean there. I didn't know any shops, but there is one down the street we use here at work sometimes, so I went in to talk to him. Basically just the owner and a helper when he needs one. Nice dude, Straight forward and a Basic clean shop, So I gave him a go.

His work seems good, although if you look closely you can see a few flaws, but you really have to look and I’m probably the only one that notices. I’m happy with it.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I know what you mean there. I didn't know any shops, but there is one down the street we use here at work sometimes, so I went in to talk to him. Basically just the owner and a helper when he needs one. Nice dude, Straight forward and a Basic clean shop, So I gave him a go.

His work seems good, although if you look closely you can see a few flaws, but you really have to look and I’m probably the only one that notices. I’m happy with it.
Wondering how discussing a shop in Texas helps Brian with his issue in Arizona? If your shop in Texas knows someone reputable in Arizona, please let us know. :)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I was referring to talking to the owner and liking him, which is what the OP was referring to, when doing business with someone. I added in the rest to confirm the guy cares about his work, just like his guy should, which is why he’s busy. My guy just had a shorter time frame.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Dash is filled & glazed, super smooth and the minimal wave left will not be noticeable under the vinyl. I'm super fascinated with sheet metal fabrication now and its many advantages. I really need to go buy some .023 wire and experiment with more welding techniques.

I still have yet to get the primer coat shot. I will go digging for an 07 Vue EPS tomorrow and start working the details of where I will mount the variable steering control knob.

Its been a rough week. Super busy with a big project at work, and recently joined a rec hockey league as well. Both brain & body are a bit sore, lol.

02A8D364-F553-4573-8EB8-B84ADE99CC38.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Nice u-pull junkyard score today.

2007 Saturn EPS unit (to facilitate my adjustable power steering mod)

FE1 sway bar

e-brake & cable tube assemblies

Vintage gen 2 Saturn illuminated cup holder.

EA58BD4F-D63E-42DF-AEF0-F01296834497.jpeg

All for $100.

Also stopped by the metal shop and picked up my 6061 aluminum for the floorboards.

60D1DFF9-BDE6-4E19-8D10-EF4ED0A4041B.jpeg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Darn, did I miss Christmas again? What day is it?!? :p
Nice boneyard pickup, let us know how the eps swap works, I may want to do this if it gives the variable steering adjustment that we keep reading about.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Darn, did I miss Christmas again? What day is it?!? :p
Nice boneyard pickup, let us know how the eps swap works, I may want to do this if it gives the variable steering adjustment that we keep reading about.
I have easily 4 weekends worth of work now without ever having to leave the garage. I wish I felt more motivated this afternoon, but I'm simply beat. Someone turn this **** heater off already!