Brian's City Goblin-06/Crate MotorTC #61

SliderR1

Which fluid did you put back in the tranny? I ended up going with the GM stuff and it was expensive!

Brian74

Goblin Guru
So I’m all ffin’ stressed out installing these delrin control arm trailing bushings because OTTP says the control arm needs to be opened to 1.370” with a reamer. Not the case at all. These fit perfectly. According to John Powell, the trailing bushing journals come in different sizes, so I guess I was lucky. Still gotta replace the pivot bushings too.

Also ordered new axles, axle seals, Moog ball joints & tie rod ends, and a set of four 4 on 100mm front & rear hubs.

DCD48B3E-DDDF-490F-8952-B7ADD66CED52.jpeg
49F52DCF-0887-4725-90B3-A3B98BFF061A.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I removed my Derale heat exchanger from the left side to check fit on the right side. Looks like it just clears and will still allow room for the refuel hose. This is GREAT news, as this means I will be able to run 2 of these; one on each side. I think this configuration will be adequate for keeping my L2A and IAT2 temps down. I will have to relocate the air cleaner slightly, but I would rather be pulling fresh air from away & outside of the engine and cowling area anyways.

C005B92C-4A04-476C-8887-3E418EADE8CF.jpeg

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
I removed my Derale heat exchanger from the left side to check fit on the right side. Looks like it just clears and will still allow room for the refuel hose. This is GREAT news, as this means I will be able to run 2 of these; one on each side. I think this configuration will be adequate for keeping my L2A and IAT2 temps down. I will have to relocate the air cleaner slightly, but I would rather be pulling fresh air from away & outside of the engine and cowling area anyways.

View attachment 6953
That will most likely interfer with the upper radiator hose.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
That will most likely interfer with the upper radiator hose.
From what I can tell with all of the reference pictures I took of Rich’s finished Goblin, it will be close, but should just barely clear. I plan to hang the engine this weekend for a test fit. If it is too close, I can always go with a slightly narrower heat exchanger.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I can take some shots directly from above with the sight line if you would like.
That would be great; thanks. A straight side shot would be good too. The cooler is pretty narrow at the point where it will be near the rad hose. I can come in about 1 1/2” by modifying the lower tab if need be. Rich may have his hose run slightly different but that is all I have to go by.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Got engine bolted to trans. Replaced axle seals and mounted engine for mock-up. New axles, tie rod ends, and hubs arrived. Between added catch can, coolant reservoir, and heat exchangers, space is getting tight. I think I’m going to order stage 3 soon so I can check fit on panels with added components and prefab some dzus fasteners for the side panels.

2DCBB27A-5E4B-4467-A4D1-A6FDB8D36181.jpeg
08B17DB1-518D-4BFB-B7C8-1DD46C7FC35F.jpeg
5CC57D35-101E-4F68-B3E4-6C5628960DBD.jpeg
85060159-075D-4764-A173-93B6EB7ACE3D.jpeg
F0717227-CF7A-4818-B926-742515050433.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Nice! What color are you going with? What is your goal for completion?
I’m most likely going with an anodized chrome on the frame and an additional 2 step anodized blue coating on the control arms and brackets. I want it all to look like aluminum.

I have no set date for completion; I gave up on trying to keep deadlines. This is just something I continue to work on as with as time and money allow.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Well, I’m back to square 1.5 on the heat exchanger. I cannot fit an additional one on the right side as its just a hair too tight to the alternator. I wish there was some simple math I could do to determine if the single one I will use will be sufficient. I looked at Derale’s biggest HE and the actual BTU specs on mine are even better; in fact the heat exchanger I purchased appears to be one of the most efficient ones that Derale makes.

I guess at this point, I will continue on as planned with the single HE; as it looks like I can easily revert a regular intercooler similar to what IDRVSLO is using later on without any major additional fab later on.

My best friend since high school is a professional welder. He will be over soon to start teaching me a new skill. Lots of wood leftover from my landscape project. I imagine I could use it to start building myself a frame rotisserie in the meantime.

Tinkles

My solution for running bigger heat exchangers.

Kawasaki KFX 700 radiators(one on each side). The upgraded Mishimotor ones that I got were only ~$150 each. Just another idea.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
My solution for running bigger heat exchangers.

Kawasaki KFX 700 radiators(one on each side). The upgraded Mishimotor ones that got were only ~$150 each. Just another idea.
Thats a nice idea. I’ve got something in the works right now to where I am going to attempt to bench test my heat exchanger and the df supplied one to measure their effectiveness under various ambient temperatures.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I decided to mock up my heat exchanger for my liquid to air cooling system. Tested it today at ambient (65 degrees). Seems to work very well; doubt I will need another one. It reduced the water temp from 110 to 65 in under 15 minutes. Tomorrow I am going to heat soak the hell out of the cooler and see how it does.

I may not be getting as good of heat transfer as I could using my method but I do not have the liquid to air cooler yet.

D59F27F5-30A0-424D-BCD7-3595A113EA6C.jpeg
11B1BEB9-77D7-4462-A969-9013498DA927.jpeg
B2F2CF62-7C1C-428B-95CC-E2DE4BE70955.jpeg
2A7ED2D7-1A41-47F7-B598-AB0DEA28B226.jpeg
74C3D10E-01DA-4061-95B0-512623029BCC.jpeg
6044D3C6-2D99-49FC-AF61-86EFB47DFBBD.jpeg
22BEACD8-6943-4526-BFE9-391E260E047A.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Since I cannot run two heat exchangers, I am still debating finding a way to get more or at least the maximum possible amount of cooling. Derale sells a larger cooler that is rated for almost 3 times the efficiency of my current heat exchanger. Based on the other Brian’s info, I think this would provide even quicker to-ambient cooling times.

(No real loss on the other cooler because I can mount that up on the XTerra to replace the stock trans coooler.)

Do you guys see any fitament issues with me moving my fuel tank to the right about 3 inches? That looks like all I will need to do to provide the clearance for this bigger heat exchanger to fit. Would appreciate it if someone could do a quick check on that for me.