Brian's City Goblin-06/Crate MotorTC #61

Brian74

Goblin Guru
2nd and hopefully final draft of dash complete. Drew another mock up to get a good visual. All buttons, knobs and switches should be accessible with the safety harness fully fastened.

This is a fully modular design, meaning all power distribution, footwell lighting, and wiring will be contained within the panel so it can be easily built up prior to installation. Single plug connector and four mounting points will make it easy to install & remove.

Barely had enough clearance to fit a set of Polk db 522 speakers. Keeping it simple with flat black powder coat to reduce glare.

01B00ED3-7770-45CA-843A-5F22799B3599.jpeg
DB5E64A3-9F88-4265-8051-4CD1B8FEA247.jpeg

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
That's a cool mock up. Do you have a plan for which screen you will use for instruments, and do you plan on a computer hidden somewhere?

Brian74

Goblin Guru
That's a cool mock up. Do you have a plan for which screen you will use for instruments, and do you plan on a computer hidden somewhere?
I’ll be using an AIM MXG Strada with GPS and remote button interface. Its a stand-alone unit. Its pricey, but very well reviewed and the best looking TFT dash out there (it also can do data-logging with an additional kit).

I will be monitoring OBDII parameters with the Aeroforce gauge. The other screen is a Pioneer NEX reciever which will display my rear view camera full-time.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I’ll be using an AIM MXG Strada with GPS and remote button interface. Its a stand-alone unit. Its pricey, but very well reviewed and the best looking TFT dash out there (it also can do data-logging with an additional kit).

I will be monitoring OBDII parameters with the Aeroforce gauge. The other screen is a Pioneer NEX reciever which will display my rear view camera full-time.
All the better to keep an eye on those who can't keep up with you and can only follow you......... :)

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Most of my stage 3 stuff came today. I fit the hood cowling, and started working on the contours of the upper dash. I quickly figured out that this is going to be a bit of trial and error due to the angles I’m working with, so I built a grid section in the CAD program with moveable data points and contour lines. Hopefully I’ll get it ironed out by 2nd draft and can start fabricating this panel. It wouldn’t be any fun if it was too easy. I’m super excited to see this with a dashboard installed.

DA2D671D-BC26-441C-A819-B129C5D8B772.jpeg
499478AD-47C5-4921-A5AC-1A95BE41FBB5.jpeg
9B99587C-521C-4832-A657-F021B0DE835F.jpeg
0B0A65D6-4B6E-4BED-9CD0-14FFF9AAF177.jpeg
15807EE7-3F54-4F7F-9C9C-EF13D07E2C4D.jpeg
F0CD55C4-2960-4D4C-A35B-B43CD419F822.jpeg
B8474153-1637-4327-B2FA-999F3FE83970.jpeg

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Every post impresses me. Nice work. I can draw a little in cad but not like that. Now is the passenger going to do the shifting? LOL

Brian74

Goblin Guru
So I did some brainstorning today. I’m not going to use the Cobalt ignition switch. Its heavy, bulky and no room for it with this dash design.

There is no easy way to eliminate the VATS on the E69 PCM, other than going completely stand-alone. There are still numerous benefits to having the BCM so I don’t want to do that.

I’m instead going to tie the key up next to the TDM behind the dash so the TDM will always be able to read the key.

I plan to buy an rfd module with a start button, similar to ctuinstra’s idea. This will take some clever wiring and use of relays.

My current dilimma is seeing if the PCM and BCM will handshake with the TDM and key from this earlier generation donor. I know the TDM and key match, so I think there is a potential for being able to do a successful long relearn to get a hand shake with the BCM/PCM.

I’m gonna call Adam tomorrow and see if they have the time to take a matching ignition & key from another car and seeing if it will relearn in a different car. I think knowing if this works will help out future builders who find themselves with missing keys.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Spoke to Lonny today and he was able to confirm that a matching VATS theft deterrent module & key can indeed be taken from one car and installed & relearned in another car. Time to start drawing up wiring diagrams for my new ignition switch.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
How are you going to get to the hood mounting bolts? It's kinda difficult with nothing in the way...???
The dash will be mounted from the back at three mounting points. It will be fully modular with only one plug connector. It could easily be removed if I need to get to the cowling.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Or you could try using some push button hood latches like these:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Or you could try using some push button hood latches like these:
That’s actually not a bad idea at all. I’ll look into it.