Broke my fuel pump line connector. What now?

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
As you can see from the picture below I snapped my connector off. I was moving the filter around trying to get it oriented to mount by the fuse box and snap! Not sure if it was me cranking on it, brittle 13 year old plastic or the cold weather at 40 degrees in the garage. I did find this thread, but I don't know if he had any luck with the glue: http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/options-for-upgrading-stock-fuel-pump-lines-hat.745/

Any ideas beside buying a new fuel pump assemble at Rock Auto?

Anybody have an old fuel pump they would like to sell and I would just use the top of your to flip out the broken part if possible?

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Would it be possible to drill out the broken side and put some sort of compression barb fitting in its place? It’s been a long time since I removed my pump but I’m pretty sure it’s just a section of hose on the other side

Ross

Goblin Guru
I did that too. I was able to put an auto supply store generic metal barbed pipe in there, and epoxy it in. It has worked great ever since (almost a year now). I was glad I found syntroniks pictures and write-up.

I had to drill the black plastic a bit bigger, and the drill bit was very grabby in the plastic, so take it really easy, or get a plastic specific drill. Sometimes running the drill in reverse allows the heat to stretch the plastic into a bigger size... I didn't try this method on this plastic pump, but have done it on other plastic projects. I also used the drill and a file to reduce the barbs on the piece that was inserted in the pump.

Here is a lousy picture of the pump, with one side repaired.

lksohm

I did the same thing. Then bought a junkyard pump then broke that one too. I was able to drill out the hole a little and epoxy a barbed brass fitting into the pump.
I have had the engine running a few times now with no leaks.