Build Guide Part 11 - Reorganizing the Wiring Harness, Part 1

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Build Guide Part 11 - Reorganizing the Wiring Harness, Part 1
In Part 11 we start reorganizing the wiring harness to fit the Goblin.

SliderR1

Is it recommended to de-pin the wires that have been cut from the connectors or is everyone just cutting them short and leaving them in the plugs?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I just cut them just short enough to solder a wire back on if need be and called it good. Just out of curiosity, why remove them?

SliderR1

I was thinking that some of them will still be hot - such as the ones from the red BCM plug. I'd hate to run into a shorting issue from something like that...

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Cover them up with heat shrink. Leave about half sticking above the cut end, heat up, and fold over while still hot. It will stick and hold it's shape nicely.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Is it recommended to de-pin the wires that have been cut from the connectors or is everyone just cutting them short and leaving them in the plugs?
I removed the pins of wire I know for a fact I will never need. I also took photos of each plug before I removed them and also kept the pins in a bag just in case. After the build is 100% complete, I'm going to fill a dump truck of stuff I no longer need.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
How did you remove them? It seems like each type of connector requires its own extraction tool to do it correctly.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
There's a tool for that! Shoot, I just removed the green locking piece and then used a sharp point to move the internal lock aside and pull out the pin. I'll have to take a picture or video of it.

David

Sweet I never knew about that tool Either so if I buy the second one would i be able to remove all the pins grom the plugs

SliderR1

I've got another question. When I re-routed the last green backup wire, after cutting out the splice, the non cut end was at connector C161 (LSJ body harness to engine harness, think its called C101 for other models) - which was originally located up near the brake resevoir. Is this correct? The wiring diagram says it is the supply voltage line for the backup lights, but it just seems funky to me for some reason...

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Yes, that's correct. On mine, it's called X161. You should have a backup lamp switch that plugs into your transmission. That light green wire should run from the switch, through body/engine connector, and directly to the brake lights.

Last edited: