Build Guide Part 14 - Combining the Harnesses

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Build Guide Part 14 - Combining the Harnesses
In Part 14 we combine the dash and body harnesses to make the Goblin harness.

Last edited:

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Hey Canyon, Mine is the same way.

I need help with these 2 dash plugs. I don't see anything that they plug into.

Please helpzzzz!

Thanks,
Nuker-

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Canyon, Mine is the same way.

I need help with these 2 dash plugs. I don't see anything that they plug into.

Please helpzzzz!

Thanks,
Nuker-
The black plug is for steering wheel controls.
The beige plug is for either boost, hazard, or trunk release. I will check wire color tomorrow and find out.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Hey guys,

Can you clarify the power steering wiring. I am not able to find any plug in the harness that connects to the plug on the power steering pump. I checked every connector that I removed and was not able to find the same plug.

Thanks,
Nuker-

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Hey guys,

Can you clarify the power steering wiring. I am not able to find any plug in the harness that connects to the plug on the power steering pump. I checked every connector that I removed and was not able to find the same plug.

Thanks,
Nuker-
The power steering motor wire plugs into the fuse panel by engine.
IMG_7238.JPG

Or it can be connected directly to the battery. Install 60 amp fuse inline. Is that what you mean?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
The black plug is for steering wheel controls.
The beige plug is for either boost, hazard, or trunk release. I will check wire color tomorrow and find out.
Lonny, can you clarify how the info and return button replacements are wired? I have the connector pictured plugged into the steering wheel rotating connector, and the info button plugged into that. My info button and that flat connector both only have four wires and it appears they can be connected directly together.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Lonny, can you clarify how the info and return button replacements are wired? I have the connector pictured plugged into the steering wheel rotating connector, and the info button plugged into that. My info button and that flat connector both only have four wires and it appears they can be connected directly together.
If you are using the original buttons you can connect matching color to color and it should work.
If you use your own buttons you will need a couple of resistors.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Thanks JSATX, Do you have a pic of the other side plugging into the motor itself?

Thanks!
Nuker-
I can get you a picture of the actual plug tonight. It is its own "mini harness" with just a power and ground wire.
IMG_7239.PNG

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks JSATX, Do you have a pic of the other side plugging into the motor itself?

Thanks!
Nuker-
1486393163721-1735850195.jpg
14863932422191356073731.jpg
1486393433625543328505.jpg

The large black power plug that plugs into the lowest position on the power steering unit is from a separate small wiring harness that we combine with the reworked harness.
Video 12 @ 1:46

canyon bolieu

I also had this problem just save the wires you are supposed to solder together to the seat harness. Then once you get the buttons from df kit car they will tell you how to wire them to the buttons directly from the harness

Matt TT

I also had this problem just save the wires you are supposed to solder together to the seat harness. Then once you get the buttons from df kit car they will tell you how to wire them to the buttons directly from the harness
Thanks, so I just leave it as is for now? I already soldered the connector on, just wasn't sure what to do with all the this?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
My goal is to use the main harness map to mock up the combined harness as close as I can with wire ties, test fit, and then wrap. I've got a few questions though.

1. The blue measurements on the right side of the map are hard to read. What are those numbers?
2. The pedal box grounds look pretty short on the picture--1"--compared to the videos--~6". What length works best?
3. For the SS builds, does the boost gauge need to branch out somewhere around the instrument cluster wires?
4. For the extended frames, do the extension wires need to be a few inches longer between the orange stars?

main-harness-with-labels-medium-big-labels.jpg

Last edited:

SliderR1

Brian - did you get an answer to #2 and #3 above? I'm working on this video now and have the same questions... My dash harness grounds are also much closer to the BCM and there are two ground wires that go back to the BCM. If I have to move the grounds further towards the ignition switch end of the harness I'm going to have to extend those two grounds... see below for clarification picture

IMG_3925.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

SliderR1

One of the ground wires was for the 12V accessory plug, so that one is taken care of now. I relocated it to one of the dash ground connectors. I think the other is possibly a ground for the BCM - I think it comes off the large white connector on the back of the BCM, but haven't confirmed for sure yet.

Also worth noting - On the '05 SS/SC, the red w/ white stripe wire from the dash harness plug goes to the 12V accessory outlet AND the OBD2 plug - so you'll need to add an extension to the OBD2 plug red wire back to the dash harness connection point.