California Registration

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
The intent of that rule is to prevent someone from building such cars as a business venture. I think once the car is built and used for a reasonable length of time, it can be sold in a private transaction. Just don't build for the purpose of selling.

kurbkilla

Im mostly done registering mine and this is what I found out:
1. Junk out the Cobalt
2. fill out the reg 343 with the vin of the kit
3. fill out reg 5036 again with the vin of the kit (in section 4 I mentioned the date and vin of the cobalet that was junked)
4. go to DMV get a temporary registration and check they still have SPCNS number to give
5. go to CHP for inspection (I have DOT headlights / taillights, windscreen and no wipers, and 5 point harness)
6. get a brake and light inspection (based of year of cobalt)
7. back to DMV to request spcns certificate of sequence (they only issue 500 a year) and your certificate will come in the mail.
8. take certificate to a smog referee (i believe here you can smog by engine or body style (1965))
9. back to DMV for final registration (plates & stickers)

A friend of mine said his father in law did buy a car that was labeled as SPNCS100 from a corner dealer. So I'm not 100% sure that statement about NEVER selling is true

Attachments

Last edited:

Goblinfanclub1234

Hi guys!

I have been working on building my goblin and also working out the kinks like registration and insurance. As far as I am concerned, CA is one of the worst places to register a kit car or any modified car in general. Here are a few extra things that it turns out I need for the goblin:

• Evap Canister
  • Muffler <95DB (could not be needed, but some may not smog without muffler)
  • EPA or ARB compliant EVERYTHING
I am not sure how I will do with the ARB compliance, but maybe I will get an exception for a kit car. When the car is fully build I will report back and see how it went.
Colorado flat out told me no so potentially its worse here?? Although after months of writing letters and threatening to sue the highway patrol and the state and getting state representatives and the attourney general involved they said goblins are okay now.

kurbkilla

1. Junk out the Cobalt
3. fill out reg 5036 again with the vin of the kit (in section 4 I mentioned the date and vin of the cobalet that was junked)
4. go to DMV get a temporary registration and check they still have SPCNS number to give
5. go to CHP for inspection (I have DOT headlights / taillights, windscreen and no wipers, and 5 point harness)
7. back to DMV to request spcns certificate of sequence (they only issue 500 a year) and your certificate will come in the mail.
8. take certificate to a smog referee (i believe here you can smog by engine or body style (1965))
Kit 385 is fully registered smog exempt.

Took about 1.5 months to do the CHP and about 2 months to get the certificate of sequence but it is done

ChrisH

Im mostly done registering mine and this is what I found out:
1. Junk out the Cobalt

A friend of mine said his father in law did buy a car that was labeled as SPNCS100 from a corner dealer. So I'm not 100% sure that statement about NEVER selling is true
Hey there Kurbkilla,
Thanks for the info on California registration, I will wrap up building my goblin this fall/winter and will start the California registration process starting in 2024 so this is very very helpful and awesome to know some has succeeded at getting a goblin California tags.
Chris