Can a lowly teenager build a DF Goblin?

Dakota8800

Greetings all!
I am a 19 year old in college at UNT. Ever since I saw one of these Goblin kit cars from Demolition Ranch and visited the shop in Red Oak, TX a couple months ago I knew I had to get one. I have never wanted to start such a project so badly. It just ticks all the boxes.
I have a decent paying job as a maintenance repair technician, so I can probably afford the donor and at least a stage after summer. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but have never started a project of this scale. This car is seeming pretty straightforward to build, but I don't want to get in over my head. I have quite a few hand tools and power tools already.

Can a teenager build a DF Goblin?
About how many hours did it take you?

Excuse any lack of forum etiquette, I usually don't post on forums.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Sure you can... you are already a maintenance repair technician, and a student. All you need is the capacity to learn, and the capability to do. I think every one of us Goblin builders has learned and done something new while making our cars. For most of us, it was a lot of new skills. I am still enjoying learning new stuff, and making my Goblin better, and more customized. Besides, you have everyone here in the forum to help you thru any challenges. Build on! :)

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Being a teenager doesn't really have any relevance to being able to build a Goblin or not. Hell, you don't even have to mechanically inclined or know anything about cars. I'm none of the above, and I had no issues thanks to the videos and forum. It was daunting at first, but looking back, it was pretty smooth.

I highly recommend starting with a donor that runs and drives even if it will cost a bit more in the long run. It will save you a ton of headache later on.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
You're not building it from scratch, you're assembling it as a pre-made kit. As long as you have the space and time, the forum can fill in the gaps that the videos and instructions don't provide.

You'll be fine.

Dakota8800

Great! Thank you! I'll get to saving!
Aside from the kit and donor, how much have you spent on your build?

Dakota8800

Being a teenager doesn't really have any relevance to being able to build a Goblin or not. Hell, you don't even have to mechanically inclined or know anything about cars. I'm none of the above, and I had no issues thanks to the videos and forum. It was daunting at first, but looking back, it was pretty smooth.

I highly recommend starting with a donor that runs and drives even if it will cost a bit more in the long run. It will save you a ton of headache later on.
That's what I was planning on!
Really? That's awesome! Thanks!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
If I can do it, you can do it.

I've had some surprises along the way, and in my experience, it takes a little bit more than a "basic toolkit" to build a Goblin, but I'm a 40-year-old married IT guy with a 10-year-old daughter and no wrenching experience. I'm very close to my first start.

Good luck with your future build!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Greetings all!
I am a 19 year old in college at UNT. Ever since I saw one of these Goblin kit cars from Demolition Ranch and visited the shop in Red Oak, TX a couple months ago I knew I had to get one. I have never wanted to start such a project so badly. It just ticks all the boxes.
I have a decent paying job as a maintenance repair technician, so I can probably afford the donor and at least a stage after summer. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but have never started a project of this scale. This car is seeming pretty straightforward to build, but I don't want to get in over my head. I have quite a few hand tools and power tools already.

Can a teenager build a DF Goblin?
About how many hours did it take you?

Excuse any lack of forum etiquette, I usually don't post on forums.
and you will not be alone. The support on the forum is outstanding.

Dsteinhorst

I've been in industrial maintenance for 10 years, and I definitely could have built this kit in my late teens. It's pretty basic assembly, and the wiring harness videos are straight forward. Be prepared to spend a bare minimum of $10,000 to get a driving car.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Cost will depend on how picky you are... some builders go all out and get crate engines, forged parts out the wazoo, every bolt has to be new, custom fabrication and so on... so wrapping up $25K in one of these things is very easy. It is so cool to see all the variations of builds... everyone puts their own spin on the build which makes it their own and for some, what makes it so attractive. Good luck!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I agree with Brian on this one 100% . Do you need to have a supercharged or a turbo car? you can start with a base model and still have fun. you could always add on the supercharger or turbo .

Anks329

Completely agree with some of the points people have made here. Before I started building, the most I had ever done was an oil change on my car. Some advice, get a base automatic that runs. It'll save you some money in the kit purchase, and with it running, you know the engine is good. Once you have the kit built, it's possible to add in a tubo or supercharger if you want. Take your time, watch the youtube videos and go slowly with the teardown. You'll learn a ton about the car as you pull it apart.

Good luck with it!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My son was the exact same way and also found it on the Demolition Ranch. Granted I helped build it, but I ended up doing most of the not-so-fun parts like cleaning and painting. But he was very capable of doing most of it on his own.

Dakota8800

Do you have a place to build it such as a garage?
This is another thing I was concerned about. I believe my stepbrother will let my store and build everything at his house, but this is certainly not an ideal option. Have any recommendations?

Dakota8800

Thank you all for the support! I'll certainly get a build going as soon as I have the money.
You guys will certainly hear from me again once that day gets closer!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
This is another thing I was concerned about. I believe my stepbrother will let my store and build everything at his house, but this is certainly not an ideal option. Have any recommendations?
A place to keep the car once it's done is also an issue. Being a car with no lid on it, you probably don't want to keep it outside. I suppose as long as you keep it covered with a big tarp or car cover while not being used, it would be ok.

Dakota8800

A place to keep the car once it's done is also an issue. Being a car with no lid on it, you probably don't want to keep it outside. I suppose as long as you keep it covered with a big tarp or car cover while not being used, it would be ok.
I planned on getting a nice tarp and probably some bungee cables when the time comes.

RouteAbel

Space has been an issue for me. I bought an auto tent from harbor freight and did part of the build there but it wasnt ideal. I have since moved it into the garage to try to finish. Now im just praying my AMG doesnt get hailed on parked in the driveway. I have had parts stashed in 3 different spots and have managed to lose a few small pieces.

Im not trying to discourage you, just give the logistics some thought.