Canadian Import - A Story / Log

DMSimone

Hi everyone,
I'm starting the journey of becoming yet another Canadian goblin owner (hopefully). I've been eyeing this kit for a couple of years now and I'm getting to a position where I can kick off this build. This post is mainly going to be a log of to do's for me and if anyone has any suggestions, feedback etc.
I'm not asking the community to do the work. But want to keep a history of what happens throughout this build.

For reference, I currently own a 2008 Pontiac G5 which shares almost everything with the Cobalt. Purchased it stock with the 2.2L and supercharged and added mods from there. I like the idea of this kit as it will build off something I already own... Maybe sentimental reasons as well, first car etc.

Donor Car Details
2008 Pontiac G5 - Manual Trans (Getrag F23)
2.2L (L61) with stage 3 kit from ZZP (2.6" pulley)
All disk brake upgrade - Donor was 2006 Pontiac Pursuit (G5) GT (Bolt patterns are 5x110)

2023-04
Starting point is: https://dfkitcar.com/files/Importing DF Goblin Kit into Canada.pdf
Questions to answer still / research previous posts;
Registration - When to contact Transport Canada. How soon before shipping.
Insurance - Who has the best deal. Who can do seasonal insurance, if any.
Shipping - Available shippers / options (Windsor, ONT or Detroit, MI). Will a broker be required.
Purchasing - Can this be done in stages or does it need to be done in one shot.
Frame - What frame size / styles are available. Is custom an option.
Paint - Need to get a powder coating quote from local vendor vs from factory.
Safety - What are the common addons to pass safety.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I feel like I read that Canada's import rules had changed, so maybe take that pdf guideline with a grain of salt. DF has also said since that PDF was published that they don't ship internationally anymore. That doesn't mean it can't be done, just don't expect them to put in the legwork for you. Dealing with the 50 states is burden enough for a small company!

Purchasing - Can this be done in stages or does it need to be done in one shot.
Frame - What frame size / styles are available. Is custom an option.
Paint - Need to get a powder coating quote from local vendor vs from factory.
The only points where my input might be of any value (if any).

Purchasing- On one hand, while it's going to cost more to ship not all at once, based on this experience, separating out some components might reduce the chance that it's judged to be a car and not a kit crossing the border.

Frame- there's only one frame length now, which is what used to be the extended chassis. The other options are full or open cage, and door bar style.

Paint- I don't think DF offers powdercoating options anymore. They got burned a couple times on in-transit damage.

Good luck!

Mahkoi

I don't know the details of getting across the border or where you are in Canada but would it help if you had it shipped up to someone in Michigan and you transported the kit across the border yourself?

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
You could ship to my place, I'm a 15-minute ride from the Blue Water Bridge. That is if you live in Ontario, might be a convenient option. Would love to see the look on my wifes face when a second goblin shows up! lol.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Oh my, the Mounties will be knocking on your door for smuggling automotive contraband across the boarder! :eek::cool:
All of this subterfuge! Is everyone using an alias?, I know I am! I hope we all avoid an International Incident! Remember: If this all goes Tango Uniform the State Department will deny any knowledge of your actions! END TRANSMISSION This post will self destruct in 5 seconds.....4....

DMSimone

lmao
Thanks @Ghostknife and @Mahkoi for the options.
I have a close friend in Michigan as well if that's a valid route. I'll need to look into if that impacts registration at all. I'm assuming it might.
The goal after all is to get it registered and plated.

I just got back from a trip and will be looking into all this more...

Does anyone know of any active members that are plated in Canada / Ontario? I think there's 3 or 4 over here?
Would like to poke them regarding insurance / and recent process changes.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Holds on a second! Have you considered the option of moving a completed Goblin or possibly an unfinished Goblin across the border?(I have no idea about current import duties in TGWN) There are several Goblin's for sale, just maybe one of them suits your desires? Cars that I would describe as "Toy Cars" are never actually finished, maybe one of them is properly unfinished for your tastes? Years ago you(Canadian) could buy a(one a year) used car in the US and with paper shuffling and a tax, bring it in to Canada. My point is study the used market, a used/incomplete unit could be your dream Goblin or close enough?(or maybe if it enters as auto parts?) In my limited experience, 2004 after a 4 year work assignment in Belgium, I could have brought my 1994 BMW to the US for a nominal Tax+ shipping. I Did not as it would have had Gray Market stigma(no resale, scrap when done) and was not a particularly desirable model, 5 series plain 4 door w/ 2l, I6. I cried a little, sold it too cheap and took home the cash. By then it was just a used car.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Read through this thread on Canadian registry. Use the search function to find more.