Car lifts

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Hey folks, I need some advice. I'm considering purchasing a lift for my home shop and I'm debating between a 2 post and a 4 post.

For those of you that have lifts, what do you have? What led you to pick that particular style?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I have used 2 post, 4 post, Scissor type, and cordless 4 post wheel lifts. I personally prefer the 2 post symmetrical lift over the Asymmetrical. It is a little tighter to open the door and get out of the car but not impossible. They balance the vehicle better especially if it is a longer truck or suv. The 2 post is better if doing brake or wheel work. With the 4 post all the above is possible but a few extra steps each time. I currently have a Snap-On under car scissor lift only because of ceiling height. I would prefer a 2 post. Thats my 2 Cents

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Just make sure you have the garage floor for it if you do go for a 2-post. They put more stress on the posts and the concrete. If your floor is too thin and you bolt to it, it could break away and topple over. Sure, the Goblin doesn't weigh that much and should be fine with it, but in the future if someone else were to lift a truck, it could spell disaster.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Just make sure you have the garage floor for it if you do go for a 2-post. They put more stress on the posts and the concrete. If your floor is too thin and you bolt to it, it could break away and topple over. Sure, the Goblin doesn't weigh that much and should be fine with it, but in the future if someone else were to lift a truck, it could spell disaster.
Good Point. I have seen people cut out and deepen the hole, drill the existing pad for re-bar. Also key cut the old cut out to help lock it in.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
My shop floor is 4in thick and it's only a little over a year old.

I do plan to use whatever I get to do some work on my full size truck too.

BAR-AIR

9000# lift extended track with a little higher lift 6’-6” under the track. Didn’t want to have to duck everytime I went under it. Great as a storage lift. Does have a little more wobble to it (with the Goblin on it) then I thought it would (just had my cousin’s 86 LTD on it no wobble) a lot more weight. Benefits it’s movable and there relatively cheap... downsides if you are working directly under the car great if you are doing anything with the wheels kind of a pain (does have a sliding jack tray with stubby jacks to lift the car). But you are still working around the tracks.
39AD3FA7-999B-4C4F-84D4-7C627DFE34A0.jpeg
That is set at 6’-1” to the bottom of the track. Still can go up another 5” but that puts the car within 1/2” on the ceiling (a little to close for my comfort.....)
5788E20D-BA03-4472-8D71-E16A2E25C208.jpeg

BAR-AIR

Would prefer a 2 post for working on vehicles. But for a storage or minimally used working lift the 4 post works great. The other thing I was concerned about leaving a car on a 2 post lift with the wheel and suspension hanging for extended periods of time. (Did want to add to my list of things to do to make up a cradle for the wheels to be supported on a 2 post lift).