Carbon Soul's 08 SS/TC Extended Track Build #284

Carbon Soul

Hey everyone, I am starting my build log for chassis #284!! The donor car is a 2008 SS/TC with 123k miles on it. https://rb.gy/h9ivmv
It has lost compression on cylinder 4 and will be replacing it with a crate LNF motor. Along the way, my Dad, Brothers, and I will be building a 30x30 shop, traveling from NE Oklahoma to North Carolina to pick up the donor car and down to Texas to pick up the different stages. Now we just hurry up and wait!!

95Blitz

30x30 will be a good size to do the teardown in. Your donor looks clean good luck with the build. Post the shop build in the other builds section. I should have posted my shop build just for the fun of it.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Welcome! I agree with pisco, if you want to put the time and effort into selling donor parts, you should come away with minimal investment into the donor, assuming you remain in the hole at all.

Carbon Soul

I will definitely start up a build thread for the shop when we get started. The donor looks like it has plenty of aftermarket parts I can reuse and/or sell to recoup some of the costs. I plan on getting it registered and then moding from there.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Beautiful donor.

I'd rebuild and clip on upgrades while you're at it. These engines aren't terribly complicated and there's an ocean of documentation out there which makes life easy.

Carbon Soul

Here are the results of the diagnosis from when the seller had it looked at.

One of my brothers knows a guy who was a GM tech, so I'm gonna have him take a look when I get the chance. I'm hoping we can just tear it down, replace the pistons with Wiseco's , add ARP head studs and replace gaskets and what not. Buuuuuuut, I also started looking at the Z54 turbo at ZZP...

Tim Moland

Here are the results of the diagnosis from when the seller had it looked at.
View attachment 20512
One of my brothers knows a guy who was a GM tech, so I'm gonna have him take a look when I get the chance. I'm hoping we can just tear it down, replace the pistons with Wiseco's , add ARP head studs and replace gaskets and what not. Buuuuuuut, I also started looking at the Z54 turbo at ZZP...
I like the Z54. Lots of power. I'm having troubles with the intercooler and heat exchanger not keeping the intake temps down. So keep that in mind when building. Plan on upgrading some stuff for the z54

Carbon Soul

I'm going to get it legal first then work on modifications. I plan on making some sort of aero device similar to Lethalcast's when I get done. When it's all said and done I'd like it to work similarly to an s-duct, except upside-down.

Carbon Soul

Day one of tear down is on the books! Since it's outside for now, we are leaving the doors and hood on. Mostly finished up the first two videos and plan on getting it torn down and start the harness before Sunday. We should be headed down to Texas late April to pick up the first stage!!

Attachments