Carl's Track Goblin - 05 SS SC donor, Chassis # 39

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
With all the summer activities, I finally had some time to figure out some brackets for the dash. Utilized the guage cluster mounting points and the hood mounting brackets. Designed and printed them out and seems to be pretty sturdy.
20190819_165821.jpg

20190819_165821.jpg

Now to find or design and print out a mount for the tablet dash. Along with installing all my buttons and switch's.
20190819_165731.jpg

For the gaps in the center of the dash I've been thinking of some kind of logo or model plaque I'd emblem. Haven't figured that part out yet.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Interested to hear your thoughts on the seats (comfort, support during autox etc.) ? What base bracket did you use and how did the install go?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Support for autocrossing is awesome. Allowing you the movement to drive while keeping you secured in the car.

Comfort is good. To be honest, I havent sat in the seat for more than 10 minutes at a time.
For any extended period of seat time I would recommend adding some dense foam for the seat bottom. Aircraft suppliers online have a good selection of densities. I'll be adding 1/2in firm foam to the seat.
The rib support/side bolster area wraps around ribs. These do kind of get in the way of your elbows while you drive. I'm thinking of trimming them down to free up that room.

Mounting was easy. Used the DF supplied seat mounts. I did end up using the two left side seat brackets for the drivers side seat and both right side seat brackets for the passenger seat. The spacing between the brackets was exactly the 18in seat width.

Last edited:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Still working on body template and testing. Boxed in the upper portion of the nose and added the other dive plane.
20190921_182724.jpg

Installed Horn button and Hazards switch. Haven't pulled the trigger on a tablet yet for the instruments.
20190925_175821.jpg

Also worked on designing and printing out some tube clamp style body mounts.
20191002_193958.jpg

20191002_193928.jpg

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
The weather permitted one last autocross outing. I was able to test the smaller diameter rear swaybar and it's just slightly too soft. I think I just need to start saving for the coilovers.
I was able to post 3rd FTD while running street tires. A really well prepared E36 and Evo with big fat Hoosiers were about 1 second quicker.
There was a Lincoln Continental that ran which was probably the most fun car to watch going through the course.
Overall a fun day and the Goblin is becoming predictable in its handling, if I can stop tweaking things. But what's the fun in that!

20191013_113630.jpg

20191013_113148.jpg

20191017_120630.jpg

Last edited:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Been working on my digital dash mount utilizing a Samsung tablet and think I have something I like finally. I had drawn it up a month ago, went to print it and my printer died. Gotta give credit to Walmart and their warranty. Whole process took a month but received a full credit allowing the purchase of a new printer and some upgrade parts for it.
20200108_192200.jpg

20200108_192218.jpg

20200108_202301.jpg

20200108_202312.jpg

20200108_202221.jpg

20200108_202203.jpg

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Looks great! I was actually thinking about going the same path but I also have the RPD which would be a smaller footprint and could use a tablet under the stock speedo. I take it you're using Torque Pro? Are you connecting via Bluetooth or Wifi and do you notice any material latency on the RPM or Speedometer?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Yes, using Torque Pro with RacingMeter.
Currently connecting with an inexpensive BAFX bluetooth adapter but will be upgrading to a Scantools reader as RPM does lag. But even the stock guage cluster lags some.
As for the speedo it only really lagged when used via GPS. This was being viewed through my S8 phone at the time.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Working on preliminary design for the undertray and rear diffuser.
Idea is to have it built in three sections. Front splitter, undertray, rear diffuser.
With the rear diffuser easily removable for loading on and off the trailer.
I want to extend the diffuser back even further and higher pwhich will require cutting the tailpipe and rotating to a horizontal position.
20200307_164759.jpg

20200307_164836.jpg

20200307_172304.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Wow, that undertray is HUGE! You will have to mark it brightly so no one steps on it. :) The rear diffuser should help with downforce, but does it clear the lower control arms when deflected down? Looks pretty close, but I'm sure you already made that measurement. Did you do any additional mockup for the front diffuser? I have been waiting to see what this looks like. :D

Anks329

Been working on my digital dash mount utilizing a Samsung tablet and think I have something I like finally. I had drawn it up a month ago, went to print it and my printer died. Gotta give credit to Walmart and their warranty. Whole process took a month but received a full credit allowing the purchase of a new printer and some upgrade parts for it.
View attachment 11225

View attachment 11226

View attachment 11221

View attachment 11222

View attachment 11227

View attachment 11224
Really neat idea with the tablet. Is the holder 3D printed or fabricated out of metal?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Wow, that undertray is HUGE! You will have to mark it brightly so no one steps on it. :) The rear diffuser should help with downforce, but does it clear the lower control arms when deflected down? Looks pretty close, but I'm sure you already made that measurement. Did you do any additional mockup for the front diffuser? I have been waiting to see what this looks like. :D
That is of concern but I will be running cable supports as well. If it's going to create downforce it better take the weight.
But, warning decals maybe neccessary.
s-l400.jpg
As for control arm clearance, I could have to use limiting straps to keep the arm from making contact. Haven't check yet. Wanting to keep the diffuser side dam as close to the tire as possible.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Really neat idea with the tablet. Is the holder 3D printed or fabricated out of metal?
The tablet mount is 3d printed, Amazon's Overture silver PLA. Ran out of black. I'm thinking of re-printing it in black and using the "fuzzy" exterior finish option. It was just such a long print job at about 23hrs.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Can you share the STL and bolt details for this one? Any update or feedback on this type of mount?
Yes, I can post it but won't be able to until probably tomorrow evening.
As for feedback, haven't really mounted anything to it yet. I've had the clamped on the the car for a bit but nothing bolted to them.
Intend to use them soon with the undertray as mount points for creating body template version 2.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
The weather permitted one last autocross outing. I was able to test the smaller diameter rear swaybar and it's just slightly too soft. I think I just need to start saving for the coilovers.
I was able to post 3rd FTD while running street tires. A really well prepared E36 and Evo with big fat Hoosiers were about 1 second quicker.
There was a Lincoln Continental that ran which was probably the most fun car to watch going through the course.
Overall a fun day and the Goblin is becoming predictable in its handling, if I can stop tweaking things. But what's the fun in that!
View attachment 10357
View attachment 10358
View attachment 10359
Still working on body template and testing. Boxed in the upper portion of the nose and added the other dive plane.
View attachment 10219

Installed Horn button and Hazards switch. Haven't pulled the trigger on a tablet yet for the instruments.
View attachment 10220

Also worked on designing and printing out some tube clamp style body mounts.
View attachment 10221

View attachment 10222
How far have you gotten on the redesigned hood? You created a really cool look in the cardboard mock-up. Are you concerned about restricting air flow to the radiator?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
How far have you gotten on the redesigned hood? You created a really cool look in the cardboard mock-up. Are you concerned about restricting air flow to the radiator?
I haven't got past the initial cardboard template yet. A few test runs with it though. Testing shows cardboard apparently fails above 50mph. :p
I was waiting to redo the template until I had more of the 3d printed mounts printed to use for the actual mounting points. Current template is too narrow from the dash to about brake master cylinder.
The lower sections of the body will mount to the undertray, so I I'm focusing on it and its mounting points at the moment.
As for air flow to the radiator, not too concerned about it. The next version nose will be a little wider, letting more air in. Plan is to also to have a ducted shroud running from nose to radiator to direct air.
When testing the template hood, it's the first time I've had the radiator fan ever cycle on and off while sitting still. As soon as we started moving and getting a little air flowing, fans shut right off.
Without a body during autocross's I had to almost leave the engine running between runs to keep it at temp.