Carl's Track Goblin - 05 SS SC donor, Chassis # 39

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Ok, they're posted back up. Had some issues trying to get the files uploaded to that post. Could be related to why they went missing in the first place.
Let me know if you were able to download them successfully or not.

Bajakid1450

Been working on my digital dash mount utilizing a Samsung tablet and think I have something I like finally. I had drawn it up a month ago, went to print it and my printer died. Gotta give credit to Walmart and their warranty. Whole process took a month but received a full credit allowing the purchase of a new printer and some upgrade parts for it.
View attachment 11225

View attachment 11226

View attachment 11221

View attachment 11222

View attachment 11227

View attachment 11224
Do you have the cad file for this or how much would you charge to make me one?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I thought I'd post about the wing and mount build itself. Warning, it's kind of a long post.
I thought since this whole project is DIY, why not the wing as well.
So I did some research (Googling) on Ebay/Amazon aluminum wings and found a decent write up on a modded 53in dual element spoiler/wing (Same one a few other Goblins are using on the forum) producing similar downforce numbers as a 9LR 60in wing with a small increase in drag, in their testing. This was achieved by building some functional endplates and positioning of the second element properly.
(Repurposed, carelessly discarded, road sign material, 1/8" aluminum)
20210403_120757.jpg

20210403_191916.jpg

With the Ebay wing having a flat and channelled lower surface (Not great for generating downforce) it needed a proper shape to keep the airflow smooth and attached to the wing.

So building on the modded wing write up idea, I drew up 3D printed slide in inserts that transforms the spoiler/wing into a true airfoil shape.
20210420_105804.jpg

This should help it create more downforce and less drag.
20210420_105705.jpg

Wing Uprights:
Prior to purchasing a wing I thought I'd do some crude aero testing to see where and how the air is flowing behind the Goblin. Knowing higher is better for clean airflow, but how high does it have to be?
I ended up mounting some old strips of molding that I had and added yarn tufts to them. Mounted my phone pointing backwards and drove around.
With my mocked up cardboard nose panel installed, took a drive around to see what the air is actually doing back there.
Screenshot_20210420-130529_Video Player.jpg

In the screenshot of the video, the top two tufts were showing the best airflow. No real surprise there. The top tuft being the same height as the halo.
With that info I made a "CAD" design and an angle to create an upright mount from. I decided on a piece 28"x14" 3/16 aluminum plate to make the two wing mount from using some basic tools. Circular saw, jigsaw, flapper sanding pad, hand files. Used the Cardboard template to trace and cut out the basic shape. Then drill chassis to mounting holes in the mount.
20210412_151948.jpg

20210412_181526.jpg

Hit the local hardware store to pick bolts and began to bolt things together.
20210412_193042.jpg

Needless to say, there's some side to side flexing going on. Set the main wing element on top of the uprights to locate the wing leading edge mounting point and drilled out.
Used the digital angle finder and marked out different degrees of angle of attack for wings trailing edge wing mount. (0, 5, 10)
20210423_114049.jpg

Strut brace. Here all that was used is some aluminum tubing and flat stock from HD. Cut slots in the flat stock to slide the tubing over and the used the Benzomatic Aluminum brazing rods to attach the two together. We'll see how that holds up over time, otherwise they'll get welded together.
20210413_203330.jpg

20210421_100904.jpg

That's enough for now.

Attachments

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Not a roof rack.
Clamps will be used for a front wing mount/cradle.
The jist of what i"m planning.
20210503_201226.jpg

Main element to slide through the mounting plate and mount to it. 2nd and possibly 3rd element will mount to the endplates and center mount plates.
Wing mounting assembly will be separate from the cradle. Adjustable AoA and two ride heights. Street=high clearance. Track = low clearance for ground effect.

Similar to the 9LR Exocet design.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
In the beginning stages of the front wing mount build.
Had to first build my high budget tubing bender. LOL
20210609_113714.jpg

Narrowed the clamp on brackets, notched the tubing and tack welded together the upper supports.
20210608_213043.jpg

Still have a little ways to go. But it's a start.