Carl's Track Goblin - 05 SS SC donor, Chassis # 39

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Found out some bad news today. A leaking laminova tube or seal. Or is it a cracked manifold.
Went into the garage today, after testing the intercooler yesterday, the reservoir tank was only a quarter full. (Instead of half full where I topped it off)
Filled it back to half full and started it up. Fine at first and then revved it a little and all kinds of steam and small amounts of fluid coming out the exhaust.
Checked the oil and OK there.
Drained the intercooler system and ran it a little while until it cleared out.

Has anyone removed the supercharger and manifold while the engine is still in the chassis? It looks to be doable, just not comfortable.

On a side note, the intercooler and tank was holding pretty close to a full gallon of coolant.

Good news for the day, my brother and his wife made a cool birthday present.
20180618_175432.jpg

20180618_175444.jpg

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Found out some bad news today. A leaking laminova tube or seal. Or is it a cracked manifold.
Went into the garage today, after testing the intercooler yesterday, the reservoir tank was only a quarter full. (Instead of half full where I topped it off)
Filled it back to half full and started it up. Fine at first and then revved it a little and all kinds of steam and small amounts of fluid coming out the exhaust.
Checked the oil and OK there.
Could you pressure test it before removing the supercharger?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Could you pressure test it before removing the supercharger?
I could but it seems its leaking with the pressure of gravity.
I had removed the tank cap and removed the power plug from the pump and I was still loosing coolant into the manifold.

As careful as I was installing the laminova tubes I must have cut one.seating it. They were lubed up well too.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
What length did you end up going with? I'm going to need to pick some up too.
Sorry about the delay in posting this.

- Front trans mount bracket to trans:
2qty., Class 10.9, M12 x 30mm, bolts.
15295414876184675253611511612117.jpg

- Rear trans mounting bracket to transmission:
3qty, Class 10.9, M12 x 35mm, bolts.
15295417074426297401776567120508.jpg

- Rear trans mounting bracket to subframe:
3qty, Class 10.9, M10, nuts. (Reuse donor bolts)
15295417457822411395097156171396.jpg

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Tore into the engine to locate the source of the intercooler coolant leaking into the manifold. Required removing the supercharger and manifold.
**WARNING ZZP Dual Pass Endplate owners.** Bad, cheap castings.
Here's the ZZP Endplate:
15295508912114343929847960213205.jpg

Pressure tested the manifold intercooler. The top laminova end plate seal was leaking due to poor laminova oring sealing area. The top one was the worst, with each stealing area having various flaws.

Here's the stock GM endplate.
15295512222061171691481844045556.jpg

All I can say is I'm pissed.

Did a little research earlier today and found people had this same issue along with the coolant nipples pulling out of the endplate casting. Apparently ZZP recommended those owners JB Weld the nipples in place or return for another one. Are you kidding me?!

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Get a hold of ZZP and speak with Kyle. He has been great about getting back to me and answering questions. I believe he would do what he can to make things right.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Thanks Carl. I went to the hardware store and didn't realize that metric bolts often have three or four different thread pitches.

If I measured right they look to be 1.75 pitch. Just in case somebody else needs some too.

SliderR1

Tore into the engine to locate the source of the intercooler coolant leaking into the manifold. Required removing the supercharger and manifold.
**WARNING ZZP Dual Pass Endplate owners.** Bad, cheap castings.

Did a little research earlier today and found people had this same issue along with the coolant nipples pulling out of the endplate casting. Apparently ZZP recommended those owners JB Weld the nipples in place or return for another one. Are you kidding me?!
I was less than impressed when I examined the end plate I purchased from them, too. For the price they are charging, I think the quality should be a LOT better...

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Get a hold of ZZP and speak with Kyle. He has been great about getting back to me and answering questions. I believe he would do what he can to make things right.
Thank you for the info.
Just called and left a VM asking for Kyle.
We'll see how things go. After what I've read and experienced with their endplate, I dont really want to put theirs on my car.
The GM casting is much better. I'm thinking of getting the GMPP or OTTP version, which both modify the stock endplate for dual pass. And have screw in coolant line nipples.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Thanks Carl. I went to the hardware store and didn't realize that metric bolts often have three or four different thread pitches.

If I measured right they look to be 1.75 pitch. Just in case somebody else needs some too.
Sorry, forgot to post the pitch for those. I believe when I was in Ace Hardware, the 12mm, 10.9 bolts were only available in one thread pitch.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Performed a little wrap. Not to be confused with rap. ;) Hated to cover up the beautiful stainless, but needed to cut down on some heat radiation. I'm thinking I might wrap the rest of the exhaust and use a heat blanket on the muffler as well.
15307361893255519211460999895107.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I never really noticed an excessive amount of heat from our headers. I wonder if it's because our tune tends to be on the rich side, this may keep the exhaust gas temps down.

I remember years ago on a Can Am ATV forum where there were guys that were melting plastic all the time their exhaust was so hot. They would wrap their exhaust also. These were open loop EFI systems and I think some of the modes were causing the EGTs to be excessive. Either that or they just sat still all the time a rev'ed the engine. Some of the heavy mudders did end up revving a lot and not moving (air flow).