Carl's Track Goblin - 05 SS SC donor, Chassis # 39

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I saw in Silverback's post that the Kirkey mounts wouldn't with the sliders he's using. Unless I missed the post your referring to.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Due to planned vacations with family and friends, haven't been able to work on the car much.

Revisited the air intake configuration. For now, from the TB, utilizing part of the stock intake tract to the MAF tube with the air cleaner attached to it. Used one of the clamp on style tubing mounts for the MAF tube support. Used some aluminium flat stock to bend and create the support bracket.
20180831_132618.jpg

20180831_132608.jpg

20180831_132602.jpg

To build or source later, will be an air intake scoop and backing to enclose the air cleaner.

Also finalized the stock HE mounting.
20180831_132744.jpg

20180831_132643.jpg

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Well, it's been a long time coming but I was finally able to roll her out of the garage!
Had a couple of inches to spare on each side. Man I need a bigger garage.
Rolling it outside allowed me do the final torque on all the wheel nuts and drive axle nuts.
Then drove it right back in the garage. It was a short lived triumph for the night. But I'll take it.
20180904_210854.jpg

20180904_211056.jpg

20180904_211204.jpg

20180904_210953.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Looks good. But there is one thing I noticed on my build. The upright tube right by where you have your heat exchanger mounted gets hammered with rocks and other debris from the tires. Both sides already have several chips in the powder coat. It might not actually cause any issues like denting your heat exchanger or breaking the plastic fan, but I just wanted to throw that out there to consider if you haven't already.

20180904_210953.jpg

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Another reason I have it mounted this way, to reduce the impact area to the HE. In anticipation of debris, there will be a rock deflector created that will go on the leading edge of the HE and a scoop built to help bring in air. Just haven't got there yet.
Similar to this desgn.
photo_1-40-628-380-80-c (1).jpg

Reactions: Dre

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Noticed an issue today when checking my rear camber.
The lower ball joint is rubbing against the rotor. Both sides.
Anyone else having this issue? 4 lug hub SC.
15364562261056904128870283254995.jpg

lower ball joint too large? camber is adjusted by loosening the steering knuckle to strut bolts and pushing or pulling the wheel in. have you tried loosening those and pushing and or pulling wheel to see if rotor moves away from the ball joint.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
have you tried loosening those and pushing and or pulling wheel to see if rotor moves away from the ball joint.
I was thinking kind of the same thing. Its rubbing, just barely.
I do only have .83 degrees negative camber at this time. (Just bought a digital angle guage at HF today)
Going to -1.5,-2.0 might be the clearance needed. But its still a pretty tight clearance and those ball joints are for those control arms.
I'll make the adjustments to the camber tomorrow and see if it'll clear.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I just want to say a big thank you to Lonny for posting the front and rear alignment process! Made the how process go pretty quickly. Maybe an hour total since I didn't have to adjust caster.

The ball joint to brake rotor contact is no longer an issue with the rear camber now set properly.

Now just have to borrow a steering wheel hub puller to re-center the steering wheel.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I've been trying to learn some CAD drawing with my limited time. So I've been using TinkerCAD. It seems like Fisher Price's CAD for kids. Good for now until I can spend some time with FreeCAD or if someone else can recommend something else that's fairly easy to learn.

Well my shift knob was pretty ratty and wanted to keep the reverse lockout, so I'm attempting to print one.
Screenshot_20180918-184644_Chrome.jpg

Started the print before leaving for work and I'll have to see if it actually fits or is even proportionally correct.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
It might just work. It needs just a little massaging with a high speed grinder on the inside to help the lockout cup clearance.

20180918_202540.jpg

20180918_202607.jpg

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Found out some bad news today. A leaking laminova tube or seal. Or is it a cracked manifold.
Went into the garage today, after testing the intercooler yesterday, the reservoir tank was only a quarter full. (Instead of half full where I topped it off)
Filled it back to half full and started it up. Fine at first and then revved it a little and all kinds of steam and small amounts of fluid coming out the exhaust.
Checked the oil and OK there.
Drained the intercooler system and ran it a little while until it cleared out.

Has anyone removed the supercharger and manifold while the engine is still in the chassis? It looks to be doable, just not comfortable.

On a side note, the intercooler and tank was holding pretty close to a full gallon of coolant.

Good news for the day, my brother and his wife made a cool birthday present.
View attachment 4224
View attachment 4225
Do they have the template for this? I would love the design and my birthday is Oct 29th! Good present from wife to me :)