Ceramic Coatings

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Any one ever used one of the many the ceramic coatings on the market? I received a free one in my Petrol box this month Epic CR2 by Malco. I have been looking at The Chemical Guys Hydro slick product. I would just like some other opinions before I jump in. I'm interested in coating the wheels on my truck and the Goblin to see how it affects the dirt / brake dust. I have used the Chemical Guys waxes and soaps before and like their stuff.

My fear with this stuff is back in the 90's there was a product called Poly Glycoat it was a nightmare for any refinish work. I do not want that kind of issue.

Thoughts or experiences?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The baked on versions are way better than the stuff that claims to be a ceramic coating at ambient temps. I have only used the Eastwood exhaust header ceramic coating that worked fairly well - paint it on and run your engine up to high temperature to set the coating. Lasted fairly well except the welded joints on the flanges, which is where the most expansion/contraction occurs with use. Were you thinking about coating your exhaust/header/turbo housing?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
The baked on versions are way better than the stuff that claims to be a ceramic coating at ambient temps. I have only used the Eastwood exhaust header ceramic coating that worked fairly well - paint it on and run your engine up to high temperature to set the coating. Lasted fairly well except the welded joints on the flanges, which is where the most expansion/contraction occurs with use. Were you thinking about coating your exhaust/header/turbo housing?
I was talking paint protection ceramics. Supposed to make the car much easier to keep clean.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I was talking paint protection ceramics. Supposed to make the car much easier to keep clean.
I just completed our 2015 lexus which is blue. The hardest part by miles is the correction. It is a used vehicle so took quite a bit of time polishing (6 hours). The ceramic coating took 2 hours. It was dry out so that is good but baking helps and low humidity. I just washed the car after a week of bugs and after the foam cannon then rinse I felt like when I hand washed it was for nothing. The effort of washing is worth the money a ton for me.

I used Ceramic UK 3.0 its very popular and there are a lot of videos explaining how to apply. Hopefully it lasts 2 years I would be fine with that again the polishing is already done and if I am careful will be good for years.
https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Cquartz-3-0_50ml-Kit-Reload/dp/B07D4NXNTV/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=UK+Coating+3.0&qid=1585621839&sr=8-2